Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
[/b][/b]

This proves that information is being suppressed for some reason. I am NOT talking about Nina Pham, the nurse who treated Duncan. The person I am speaking about, is the 4th person who was transported to the Atlanta hospital on September 9.

As far as privacy, why is it that names and details have been released for everyone, including Ms. Pham (who requested total privacy) but not this other mystery patient?

And no, I don't need a lengthy biography. Just the same basic information that didn't seem to be withheld for the other Ebola victims.
I think Nina Pham's parents confirmed to the media that it was their daughter who was infected. There is probably a language issue and they may have inadvertently confirmed that it was her. The media is quite adept at information gathering, that is their job but I hope they didn't take advantage of her parents to get the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:10 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
I'm pretty sure that most people were countering that it would not be an apocalyptic pandemic if/when it reached the USA. I think most people still maintain that stance. Of course it's wise to be concerned and cautious, but there's a lot of fearmongering misinformation being spread around by those predicting a doomsday event from this. It's not especially helpful to anyone and is just causing people a lot of unnecessary anxiety and panic.
Exactly. And this predicates dreadful scocietal behavior, as we saw in the 80's.

Not to mention there are people on this very forum calling for men, woman, children, infants and animals to be nepalmed. Now that causes me anxiety.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
How Ebola sped out of control | The Washington Post

Same crap they said at the beginning of the (now) African epidemic. People just relied on ignorance to reassure themselves that it wasn't urgent, not a threat, no chance of an epidemic from just a few Africans with Ebola.
Now, as I watch Americans with the same attitude I cannot help but wonder how, with all the information regarding how this got to epidemic proportions in Africa, they can have the same attitude here they had there in the beginning.
We could have stopped this there if anybody took it seriously. We can stop it here if we take it seriously as well but, the huge problem isn't the virus but that nobody has the balls to take it seriously. It's serious, as a matter of fact it's as serious as if ISIS just landed in TX armed and ready to strike. We would take that seriously but when it comes to an infectious virus we cannot see we don't.

Sorry if I irritate you Zimbochick, and I'm not trying to yank your chain, but I totally disagree with you and my paranoia stands. This is very serious, and there is a threat of it becoming infectious here to many more than two or three people if we don't start taking it seriously.

Yes, stop travel, if other countries don't allow us to do so then why would they allow aid workers from the U.S. in their country? Demand it!
Ban travel of average citizens from these countries until outbreak is under control. Set up treatment units for med and military workers in said country.
We might have a breach but we are sure to have it if we do nothing, as we have seen already.
How exactly do you educate and convince whole nations of people to change long held traditions, beliefs, and ways of life in a matter of days? How do you change their standards of living and access to medical aid and sanitation?

Ebola spread rapidly through West Africa because these things are not possible. In the USA, yes, Ebola could spread, but as a collective whole, we are better educated, have better sanitation and hygiene, greater medical resources and standards of living. Here, many individuals can buy gallons of bleach, gloves, masks, plastic sheeting, etc. stock up on basic food staples, fresh water, and what have you with minimal effort.

We are by and large, better educated and accept the science of transmission and the preventative measures required of avoiding the sick and not handling our dead. Now, I get it, the thought of my child falling ill and me not being able to hold and comfort him tears me to pieces, but I still understand what would be needed of me in such a situation.

So, can Ebola spread in the USA? Of course, it's already happened. Is it likely, given our resources and education to wipe out vast swathes of our population? Not very.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You're in dream land love. You can't be nonchalant with something as deadly as Ebola. I'm a health care worker and I deal with some serious bugs but you could not pay me enough to take care of an Ebola patient. I've dealt with a super bug that I can't get rid of since 2006. I've always been extremely careful and followed isolation protocol, yet I still picked up something. All it takes is someone else to break protocol and spread that bug outside of the room. You touch that same area and you pick it up. How do you avoid something you can't see? Ebola never should have left the African border. It's irresponsible to allow any travel in and out of what should have been quarantined regions. Soon it just won't be health care workers at risk. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is serious and something needs to be done before it's too late.
Where did I advocate being nonchalant, exactly? There's a huge chasm between nonchalance and outright hysterics.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
This hysterical over reaction and the resultant calls for excessive action are far more dangerous to our society at large than the actual virus.
That's the official party line given by the three stooges at the CDC. I'm not buying it. One of the biggest problems with the current administration is that they assume the American public is populated by dimwits and dullards.

Some of us do possess the ability to form our own opinions after examining the facts. Some of us know a little something about history.

Currently, there are a few medical doctors who have come out and said that Ebola has the potential to be a "slate wiper" for our country.

When the first wave of Spanish Flu hit Fort Riley, Kansas in March 1918, folks weren't too concerned, after all, 1126 soldiers were sickened but only 46 died. By the time the second wave hit in Fall of 1918, it was far more lethal.

By the time the third wave hit in early 1919, 50 million people were dead, or about 5% of the earth's population.

Three waves. Three mutations. Five percent of the world - DEAD - all from a virus.

I'm more than a little tired of the government's unmitigated gall at telling us to just "move along, nothing to see here," while they continue to import a devastating plague from a filthy third-world country.

I'm more than a little tired of being told that the government is smarter than the US public and knows that it's wiser to keep our borders open, until our hospitals are overwhelmed by third-world problems.

It won't take more a few dozen cases of Ebola in the US to shut this country down, destroy commerce, decimate air travel and cripple our first-world health care and send our economy into a downward spiral, from which it may not recover in my lifetime.

All because the government won't listen to the people and CLOSE DOWN OUR BORDERS.

This ain't about "fear mongering." It's about a government that *behaves* like it doesn't care about its own citizens.

Last edited by RosemaryT; 10-14-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 10:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post

It won't take more a few dozen cases of Ebola in the US to shut this country down, destroy commerce, decimate air travel and cripple our first-world health care and send our economy into a downward spiral, from which it may not recover in my lifetime.
How do you figure this?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You're in dream land love. You can't be nonchalant with something as deadly as Ebola. I'm a health care worker and I deal with some serious bugs but you could not pay me enough to take care of an Ebola patient. I've dealt with a super bug that I can't get rid of since 2006. I've always been extremely careful and followed isolation protocol, yet I still picked up something. All it takes is someone else to break protocol and spread that bug outside of the room. You touch that same area and you pick it up. How do you avoid something you can't see? Ebola never should have left the African border. It's irresponsible to allow any travel in and out of what should have been quarantined regions. Soon it just won't be health care workers at risk. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is serious and something needs to be done before it's too late.
I feel for you, and have friends in your position. At what point are healthcare workers suppose to say forget it? Many of my friends are taking their sick leave now because of Ebola.
Anybody working in healthcare right now will tell you we are treading on thin ice, and risk of exposure are certain, not if but when.

We should be concerned enough to stop telling everyone it's containable, and start actually using measures to try to contain it. This is my problem, we are relying on old standards that are not going to work. We are not equipped to handle an outbreak of Ebola, we are not educated to handle it, we don't have the money to handle it, we better address this reality.

People can call me paranoid if they want but in this case it's better safe than sorry. It's Ebola. What's going to happen come peak flu season? Norovirus season? Crammed ER's for starters. Don't get me started on the uninsured.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Where did I advocate being nonchalant, exactly? There's a huge chasm between nonchalance and outright hysterics.

It's more then just hysterics. This is a very dangerous bug and simple hand washing isn't going to prevent it. I'm sure that MD in Africa was careful and followed protocol, yet he still became infected. (WHO just announced that there could be 10,000 cases a week of Ebola by December. They also said that we have to rethink how we handle it here. Our hospitals are not equipped to handle Ebola and the medical waste it generates. They are also expecting other Dallas healthcare workers to become positive from the initial patient.)

Last edited by animalcrazy; 10-14-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
That's the official party line given by the three stooges at the CDC. I'm not buying it. One of the biggest problems with the current administration is that they assume the American public is populated by dimwits and dullards.

Some of us do possess the ability to form our own opinions after examining the facts. Some of us know a little something about history.

Currently, there are a few medical doctors who have come out and said that Ebola has the potential to be a "slate wiper" for our country.

When the first wave of Spanish Flu hit Fort Riley, Kansas in March 1918, folks weren't too concerned, after all, 1126 soldiers were sickened but only 46 died. By the time the second wave hit in Fall of 1918, it was far more lethal.

By the time the third wave hit in early 1919, 50 million people were dead, or about 5% of the earth's population.

Three waves. Three mutations. Five percent of the world - DEAD - all from a virus.

I'm more than a little tired of the government's unmitigated gall at telling us to just "move along, nothing to see here," while they continue to import a devastating plague from a filthy third-world country.

I'm more than a little tired of being told that the government is smarter than the US public and knows that it's wiser to keep our borders open, until our hospitals are overwhelmed by third-world problems.

All because the government won't listen to the people and CLOSE DOWN OUR BORDERS.

This ain't about "fear mongering." It's about a government that *behaves* like it doesn't care about its own citizens.
Okay. Knock yourself out.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 AM

671 posts, read 889,926 times
Just let this kick in,,,,everyone will be calling in sick...Throwing away the lives of innocent health care workers simply because some asshat doesn't want to stop flights/quarantine measures is despicable. Clearly our government has a very low reguard for it's citizens lives and is more than willing to sacrifice the lives of health care workers for a little commerce...That is about as low as it gets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events