Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:49 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times

Advertisements

The Yale/New Haven patient tested negative for ebola - good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:52 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Anyone know why the guy with the clipboard from the ambulance company in Georgia wasn't wearing any protective gear while everyone around him was? He flew in the plane with Vinson but did not go into the ambulance.
I saw those pictures and that guy got really close to the men in the hazmat suits, and the patient. Did you see him hand over the red bio hazard bag?

I wonder if he's an ebola survivor? Either that or he's just dumb.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:54 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
The Yale/New Haven patient tested negative for ebola - good news.
Lubbock hospital patient tests negative too.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I saw those pictures and that guy got really close to the men in the hazmat suits, and the patient. Did you see him hand over the red bio hazard bag?

I just read Phoenix Air requires as part of their "protocol" one person to be in street clothes so that they have full vision and mobility to make sure no close contact protocols are violated.

He did touch several things given to him with his bare hands

Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 PM

376 posts, read 489,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No panic necessary. I think we can shut down Ebola travel calmly, peacefully, and rationally. Even inexpensively.
I can't imagine that a travel ban from Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea would have major economic consequences for the US. It would be hard to track and enforce. Its a cost/benefit question. It would be a different calculus if there were a major dangerous infectious disease outbreak in, say, France or Japan.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
Travel bans applied only to affected African nations are useless if other countries don't follow suit.

Travel to and from West Africa is far greater in Europe. Just this fact alone increases the probability that non-Americans are subject to more potential disease exposure. Yet EU airports have only just begun screening passengers and their health agencies have largely relied on self-monitoring and self-reporting. Secondary or tertiary transmission renders tracing the disease through, say, Liberian passport stamps entirely moot. If travel bans are the answer, we've got to go all in.

IMO, travel bans don't seem especially proactive. If anything it's a passive, short-term response, leaving the work of actually fighting the disease in Africa to other nations and agencies (WHO; MSF).

Alternatively, instead of stewing in our juices about who is going to infect us, we as a nation might try to step support for restoring the West African health infrastructure--to containing the epidemic before it reaches pandemic levels---like we should've done months ago.
Dr. Frieden of the CDC gave a statement today indicating that our first priority needs to be finding a vaccine to prevent Ebola and stopping it in Africa. He said that travel bans were unlikely to work.

You understand it. I understand it. Too many posting here really don't get it. Unless we ban all travel into this country from all nations, what we are doing ultimately won't work. There are all sorts of ways infected people can get into this country. Africans traveling to Europe can infect anyone in Europe traveling to America. Africans traveling to China can infect Chinese or American tourists traveling to the USA. A travel ban is likely trying to stick your finger in a leaky ****.

Top priority needs to be developing a vaccine for widespread use in Africa.

I'll remind many of our posters here that it wasn't President Obama who cut funding for the CDC and vaccine research. Tea party types can either look in a mirror or at some of the crackpots they helped elect to Congress back in 2010.

Last edited by markg91359; 10-16-2014 at 03:43 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 03:03 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
Well, I admit that I'm a bit nervous but only because I'm a nurse that works in an ICU and I don't really want to take care of an ebola patient.... it's not even only taking care of the patient but all the crap that comes along with it afterwards (monitoring my temp, possibly being quarantined, giving it to my pets)... it's just too much for me right now. If I wasn't in healthcare, I would go about my business without any worry.
Yeah, it's a bit easier for those who don't work in healthcare or the airport, police, paramedics, ambulance, etc. Other people can just take that brave, nothing bothers me attitude.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:06 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Mmm yes, blame ebola on the president. How brilliant of you.
The president has not done a single thing to try and prevent Ebola coming into this country. He acted like it was inevitable, when in fact a simple visa suspension would have prevented Duncan from coming here and the two nurses from getting sick. And I'm not an Obama basher - I actually didn't mind him for a while. But they way they are all sitting there twiddling their thumbs and not taking a single step or action to prevent it here in America is simply deplorable and inexplicable to me and many others.
It would be o e thing if they tried - say banned travellers from affected nations but someone still slipped in from a different country - okay, we couldve said that happeena and nothing anyone could do. But they didn't even try. They did not take a.single. step to prevent entrance or spread in america. Plenty of help to Africa - but big fat ZILCH right here in their own country. Fail.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:09 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The Dr. Frieden of the CDC gave a statement today indicating that our first priority needs to be finding a vaccine to prevent Ebola and stopping it in Africa. He said that travel bans were unlikely to work.

You understand it. I understand it. Too many posting here really don't get it. Unless we ban all travel into this country from all nations, what we are doing ultimately won't work. There are all sorts of ways infected people can get into this country. Africans traveling to Europe can infect anyone in Europe traveling to America. Africans traveling to China can infect Chinese or American tourists traveling to the USA. A travel ban is likely trying to stick your finger in a leaky ****.

Top priority needs to be developing a vaccine for widespread use in Africa.

I'll remind many of our posters here that it wasn't President Obama who cut funding for the CDC and vaccine research. Tea party types can either look in a mirror or at some of the crackpots they helped elect to Congress back in 2010.
Worked for Nigeria and Senegal, and Kenya and whoever else banned travel. Haven't heard of a Duncan coming in into one of these countries, have we?

Yes people can infect others in other countries blah blah. But run the stats. The chances of that happening are miniscule compared to one of the people coming here from Liberia or sierra Leone being infected. One person infecting someone else in another country with no cases, and them coming to US at the same time - vs. 150 people a day from a country with 1000 new cases a week and dead bodies on the streets. Come on people, this is common sense a five year old could get!

Old 10-16-2014, 03:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post

Supervisor of safety protocols. Wears no garments or protection as he is the monitor of the other HCWs and enforces protocol and safety. Others are restricted in vision and movement by their protection..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events