Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times

Advertisements

How terrifying for this healthcare worker and their loved ones. These healthcare workers haven't been trained properly to deal with this type of biohazard. I hope that they can figure out where the breach in security measures took place so that they can prevent future mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 09:55 AM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
My thoughts exactly. Almost as if it is a 'weaponized' version that inadvertently got loose.

Uh, it would have been "inadvertent"...wouldn't it???
This outbreak has been traced to virus from a fruit bat. They can do that by studying minor differences in the RNA of the virus. The first case was a two year old child. He may have eaten fruit contaminated by a bat.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
Appearances are one thing but lab tests have shown early stages at at death have the two highest titers.
I would like to read your source. Blood titers do not reflect titers in other organs. Early blood titers may be high but the amount of virus in other tissues may be lower. Later there is virus everywhere, which is the reason the body is highly contagious after death.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Somehow, I think that if this happened at a charity hospital like Parkland, the situation would have been handled differently. Presbyterian (Texas Health) is good, but I don't feel like they were as prepared as Parkland would be. For all it's faults, Parkland is a Level 1 trauma center that seems better able to handle big-time crises.
All US hospitals can say they are prepared but only a few have ever dealt with this.

Saying you are prepared means you have followed the guidelines, nothing more.

Are they as prepared as Emory ? Do they have any experience dealing with this as Emory has ?
Are workers as prepared as CDC Researchers that have handled this virus ?

No, we're as best prepared as we think we need to be.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:59 AM

671 posts, read 890,627 times
Ok so lets get practical here...With all the precautions that health care workers have at their disposal and the fact that some still get Ebolaized,,,what chance do I as an ordinary traveler,a civilian have if someone that's infected brushes on by me.......I think I'm screwed...It seems that everyone thinks it someone else who falls of the ladder until they find out that they are the someone else.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK so get this - the new patient's vehicle has been impounded and decontaminated, as has the car park area surrounding it. A pet has been removed from the apartment. The apartment has already been decontaminated as well, according to officials. And the healthcare worker came down with symptoms Friday and was isolated and tested - all before the public knew anything about it. Apparently a circle of his/her friends and contacts has also already been contacted.

I have mixed feelings about all this.

On one hand, I'm not sure we need to know about every single person who is tested since the vast majority of people will obviously test negative for Ebola. But on the other hand, that was quite a feat getting all that done without any public knowledge whatsoever.

Interesting.
All done in the hush of the night. No one need to know or be concerned.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Ok so lets get practical here...With all the precautions that health care workers have at their disposal and the fact that some still get Ebolaized,,,what chance do I as an ordinary traveler,a civilian have if someone that's infected brushes on by me.......I think I'm screwed...It seems that everyone thinks it someone else who falls of the ladder until they find out that they are the someone else.
Just say to yourself.."You can't get Ebola sitting on a bus"

Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This has been covered before. Yes, Ebola can be spread by large droplets (aerosols). That means if a victim coughs directly on you, you can get it.

No, it is not airborne. You cannot get it by just breathing the same air as a victim.

The people who did the pig study also did a followup study with monkeys in which an infected group of monkeys did not spread Ebola to uninfected monkeys only 30 cm away.

There has been no effort to withhold information. There is only the assumption that if healthcare workers are getting infected despite protective gear the virus must be airborne. That is not true. It is very easy to get the virus through breaks in technique when removing protective gear. There is nothing mysterious about it.
Thanks suzy!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All done in the hush of the night. No one need to know or be concerned.

Good thing the Cowboys game is not a home game this week. If it had been, we'd probably not be hearing about this second case till tomorrow. PR and all that, dontchaknow.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good thing the Cowboys game is not a home game this week. If it had been, we'd probably not be hearing about this second case till tomorrow. PR and all that, dontchaknow.
I hear that this is not keeping the crowds away from the State Fair.
I stopped going myself cause it just got too crowded to enjoy.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Health workers get infected when they remove contaminated gear. It is so easy for that to happen that Doctors Without Borders recommends having someone observe removal of protective gear to prevent that from happening.

There is no evidence the current strain is more contagious. It just got into a highly populated geographical area with more potential victims.

No one is denying Ebola is contagious. No one is "oblivious or unwilling to admit" anything. All they are saying is that if you do not get close to someone with it you are not at risk. If that were not true, the situation in West Africa would be even worse than it is.

Do you perhaps have a link to what he actually said?
Read the Hot Zone and you'll see that is what the researchers at the CDC do.
They have multiple layers of protective clothing, multiple rooms, and a buddy system.

I don't think US hospitals are doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events