Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:01 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Crowded public transportation like buses and trains, not only airplanes, could be scary places. I am always still surprised at how inconsiderate some people are in today's world with the knowledge we have about germs and how they are airborne. At this time ebola is not airborne, but I think about the people that don't care enough for their fellow passengers that sneeze and hack away without covering their mouths. Last week, I was in the library, and this guy who obviously has the flu was sneezing and coughing, so he decided to go to the library and recuperate and who cares if he spread his germs to every one and the little kids nearby. Just doesn't enter some people's mind to stay home when they are sick. At this time ebola is not airborne...
Metro bus driver quarantined after passenger yells 'I have Ebola!' - LA Times

Indeed, public transport is a scary thought.
Metro bus driver quarantined after passenger yells 'I have Ebola!'

Talk about terrorist, you won't even have to have it to cause terror on the public transport system as seen here. This happened in L.A. this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:02 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
85% of Liberia is Christian. A ban on non essential travel would still allow for the much needed aide.
Someone else PM me and said these nations are majority Christian.
Only Liberia is.
Guinea is 85% Muslim
Sierra Leone is 71% Muslim

Old 10-14-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
An Ebola patient (Sudanese) in Germany has just died (did anyone know about him?) and someone else in the same country is now being treated.
Just wait until all the military start returning home from Africa.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:13 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
i wonder if people from the Congo have natural antibodies to Ebola.
I wonder how they were able to contain their outbreaks,even the one that is going on now(thaty you hear zip about)

Old 10-14-2014, 07:13 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I wonder if it's possible that they could be quarantined here in decent surroundings just to be on the safe side?

But, I'm afraid the military may shoot first and ask questions later.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I wonder if it's possible that they could be quarantined here in decent surroundings just to be on the safe side?

But, I'm afraid the military may shoot first and ask questions later.
If we really wanted to stop this we could, just like you've said, quarantine everyone with contact for 30 days. I think the U.S. is trying to do something else, like try new meds, or vaccines. They want a bigger result, like ending Ebola for good, not just keeping it out of our country. Of course this is just my opinion.

Obama will go down as the president who let Ebola into America. I guess he thought we could handle it, not!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
i wonder if people from the Congo have natural antibodies to Ebola.
I wonder how they were able to contain their outbreaks,even the one that is going on now(thaty you hear zip about)
An African doctor interview said that. He himself had Ebola, survived, and contiues to treat Ebola patients. Hasn't gotten disease again. He also said there are many other medical staff there who have had it or are caring for the sick, but are not coming down with it.

Antibodies from having the actual disease or being exposed to it, but a lot of people here don't trust that manner of immunity.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Once you have had Ebola you are immune to it. In epidemic areas they are recruiting survivors to work in roles where exposure risk is the highest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
....but a lot of people here don't trust that manner of immunity.
Yeah? Who?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
I'm sure the military will keep the soldiers in quarantine before letting them back into the population.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
If we really wanted to stop this we could, just like you've said, quarantine everyone with contact for 30 days. I think the U.S. is trying to do something else, like try new meds, or vaccines. They want a bigger result, like ending Ebola for good, not just keeping it out of our country. Of course this is just my opinion.
It wouldn't be the first time military was used for experimentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events