Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:00 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,003,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Who cares? Don't be a douche like that. Would she have cared if it was a Fin flying a Finnish flag? No. Probably not.
I'm not sure who you are addressing with your insult. But if this woman has a problem with one flag why isn't it likely she would have a problem with another, say a Philippines flag? There are a good number of Philippines folks in California. While it's likely she wouldn't have stopped and made an issue if it had been a Canadian or Irish flag, which was more a redundant question than anything else, she did ask something to the effect if this woman knew where she was living so why fly a flag from a foreign country. So that's why that thought occurred to me about other flags and which ones she would have reacted to. Does that line of reasoning make sense to you given the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 08:03 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,588,293 times
what flag u fly is not important to me. but if you crash into my car drunk and then run and have no insurance, that bothers me.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:42 PM

15,567 posts, read 10,563,361 times
This story is rather strange, makes me wonder if they left something out. It's not against the law to flag a Mexican flag. If the lady thought they were illegal aliens she should have called ICE.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:09 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,656,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Capps is obviously not very bright. She is entitled to her feelings but she probably should have kept them to herself considering her occupation and location. Working for a real estate company in California and insulting a Mexican family for flying their flag and then putting the video on youtube is career suicide. She might want to move out of Cali if she feels that way.
As much as I hate what is going on with this country and support my fellow Americans to speak out, all of the above is true. You just can't afford to rock the boat with a professional career and children to take care of. I prayed for her though. She will get everything she lost back but hopefully she'll use her common sense next time.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:17 PM

171 posts, read 312,185 times
You would think in this day and age. That putting something on the internet like this could easily get you in trouble. Of course someone is going to make a stupid statment about "Freedom of speech". If you are going to make a statement about a mexican flag then do it through the proper channels. Complain to the city/county or using a tactful opinion on a Blog/Vlog somewhere. Not approaching someones residence harrasing them.

Companies will now easily pull the trigger and fire you. In the court of public opinion, companies will not risk damaging their reputation for some idiot. Remember that guy who drove up to Chik-fa-la asking for free water? Didn't want to give money to a company who supports groups there are Anti-gay. Puts it on youtube and loses his job. Now this lady making a stink about the mexican flag and on to youtube it goes.

One would think that with all the instant news traveling everywhere, people would wise up and say "maybe I shouldn't put that on the internet."

Old 09-27-2014, 09:18 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,656,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Who cares? Don't be a douche like that. Would she have cared if it was a Fin flying a Finnish flag? No. Probably not.
We don't have an illegal Finnish problem in this country.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:28 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,858,389 times
She can speak all she wants as is her right, it doesn't mean her employer has tolerate it especially if it can hurt business. The woman's an idiot considering where she works and the demographics of the area. No sympathy from me.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,083,113 times
Absolutely not illegal to fly the Mexican flag.

Technically it would be illegal to have the USA flag subsumed under it (on a flag pole with the USA flag underneath the Mexico flag), but there's no penalty for doing so. Also if you have a US flag next to the Mexican flag, the US Flag must be the same or larger, and the US flag must be on a higher pole and to the left.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/reso...df/RL30243.pdf

4 U.S. Code § 7 - Position and manner of display | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 09-27-2014, 11:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,207,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My Right of Free Speech statements applies to all parties. The lady flying the flag and the lady who protests the flag.

How politically correct should we be when your neighbor flies his ISIS Flag ? Should an employer be offended by the protest of an ISIS Flag ?
I think the ISIS flag would be pushing it.Confederate flag or flag from a person's native country fine. But a sworn enemy of the United States I think not.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:24 AM

9,486 posts, read 10,846,421 times
The woman should NOT lose her job because she spoke out. Employers should not be able to fire employees for political beliefs which they espouse on their own time. We need laws protecting folks from corporate political correctness. No matter how stupid or ignorant you are off the clock, as long as you don't break the law it is not your employers business. That being said, I actually support the Mexican woman, as she did not ask this stranger to come into her yard. It is a free country and you can fly any flag you want. Mexican flags are common, and they usually are not meant to offend Americans but just to show ethnic pride. Not a thing wrong with that. These folks also had an American flag out too, so why this house was chosen I don't know. People fly many flags, Italian, Irish, British and most common Confederate. All these are acceptable ways to show ethnic pride, or regional pride in the case of the confederate flag. It is no ones business what flags you display and I cannot believe someone had the nerve to do what she did. If I lived next door to her I would put up a Mexican flag as a sign of solidarity with her. Its her American right to fly it, and no one else's business. Now the ISIS flag, well that is another story. If someone flys an ISIS flag they will likely get what they deserve. You may have the right to display a symbol of evil, but you will likely face major reprecussions for it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events