Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 08:14 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,428,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The woman should NOT lose her job because she spoke out. Employers should not be able to fire employees for political beliefs which they espouse on their own time. We need laws protecting folks from corporate political correctness. No matter how stupid or ignorant you are off the clock, as long as you don't break the law it is not your employers business. That being said, I actually support the Mexican woman, as she did not ask this stranger to come into her yard. It is a free country and you can fly any flag you want. Mexican flags are common, and they usually are not meant to offend Americans but just to show ethnic pride. Not a thing wrong with that. These folks also had an American flag out too, so why this house was chosen I don't know. People fly many flags, Italian, Irish, British and most common Confederate. All these are acceptable ways to show ethnic pride, or regional pride in the case of the confederate flag. It is no ones business what flags you display and I cannot believe someone had the nerve to do what she did. If I lived next door to her I would put up a Mexican flag as a sign of solidarity with her. Its her American right to fly it, and no one else's business. Now the ISIS flag, well that is another story. If someone flys an ISIS flag they will likely get what they deserve. You may have the right to display a symbol of evil, but you will likely face major reprecussions for it as well.
Employers are also entitled to freedom of speech. They used theirs to fire her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,866,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin
Too bad the freedom of speech no longer applies. We are soon becoming like England where it's illegal to offend someone.
Whats really scary buddy is MOST DO NOT REALISE HOW BAD IT ACTUALLY IS GETTING!!

Old 09-28-2014, 01:04 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,204,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I think most of us can agree that she is pretty stupid. It's almost as if people forget that USA and Mexico are friendly nations. It's not disrespectful to fly the flag of a friendly nation.
With friends like Mexico the USA does not need any enemies.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,090,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Capps is obviously not very bright. She is entitled to her feelings but she probably should have kept them to herself considering her occupation and location. Working for a real estate company in California and insulting a Mexican family for flying their flag and then putting the video on youtube is career suicide. She might want to move out of Cali if she feels that way.
It shouldn't be, though. We are in the United States, so we shouldn't fly flags of our previous countries. My husband's family is Filipino, extremely proud of being Filipino (and Americans), and would never fly a Filipino flag in the United States. If we moved to another country, we wouldn't fly an American flag while in said country. This honestly isn't rocket science.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:21 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It shouldn't be, though. We are in the United States, so we shouldn't fly flags of our previous countries. My husband's family is Filipino, extremely proud of being Filipino (and Americans), and would never fly a Filipino flag in the United States. If we moved to another country, we wouldn't fly an American flag while in said country. This honestly isn't rocket science.

I completely agree. I never had any desire to fly the flags of my ancestral homes.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:57 PM

366 posts, read 433,609 times
I heard about this, and wondered what her reaction would be if it were a Canadian flag instead.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,760,115 times
Although she's right about the fact that this is America not Mexico, her whole approach made her come off as unstable. And then she wonders why she's considered a racist?

The fact that she lost her job over this has nothing to do with political correctness. What employer would've kept around someone who publicly did something so foolish? Since when do someone's actions not have consequences?

And yes, had it been the Canadian, British, or German flag, she would not have batted an eye over it.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:09 PM

21,886 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Good.

I have mixed feelings that her son is being bullied at school because his mom is a sack of s---. Hopefully it's not too serious and he learns a positive lesson that I'm sure his mother didn't impart on him. Also, death threats never are really cool.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:18 PM

21,886 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The woman should NOT lose her job because she spoke out. Employers should not be able to fire employees for political beliefs which they espouse on their own time. We need laws protecting folks from corporate political correctness. No matter how stupid or ignorant you are off the clock, as long as you don't break the law it is not your employers business. That being said, I actually support the Mexican woman, as she did not ask this stranger to come into her yard. It is a free country and you can fly any flag you want. Mexican flags are common, and they usually are not meant to offend Americans but just to show ethnic pride. Not a thing wrong with that. These folks also had an American flag out too, so why this house was chosen I don't know. People fly many flags, Italian, Irish, British and most common Confederate. All these are acceptable ways to show ethnic pride, or regional pride in the case of the confederate flag. It is no ones business what flags you display and I cannot believe someone had the nerve to do what she did. If I lived next door to her I would put up a Mexican flag as a sign of solidarity with her. Its her American right to fly it, and no one else's business. Now the ISIS flag, well that is another story. If someone flys an ISIS flag they will likely get what they deserve. You may have the right to display a symbol of evil, but you will likely face major reprecussions for it as well.
Yeah, she should have.

I'm very pro-speech. I think it should be perfectly legal to fly ISIS flag, or Germany's flag during WW1 or WW2. I am also completely a-okay with employers using THEIR freedom of speech and firing racists, supports of ISIS, or white supremacists. Hell, if they want, I'm fine with them firing Republicans or Democrats, although that one I'd consider dumb. I'm more on the fence about discrimination on the basis of protected class. For example, say you're a church and believe homosexuality is a sin. I think you should be able to fire someone (or not hire them) who is publicly active in the LGBT community.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 PM

9,473 posts, read 10,820,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, she should have.

I'm very pro-speech. I think it should be perfectly legal to fly ISIS flag, or Germany's flag during WW1 or WW2. I am also completely a-okay with employers using THEIR freedom of speech and firing racists, supports of ISIS, or white supremacists. Hell, if they want, I'm fine with them firing Republicans or Democrats, although that one I'd consider dumb. I'm more on the fence about discrimination on the basis of protected class. For example, say you're a church and believe homosexuality is a sin. I think you should be able to fire someone (or not hire them) who is publicly active in the LGBT community.

There are three other posts who relied to my post with a similar sentiment. The biggest problem I have with this is what it means to free speech. It means that your employer will control how much free speech you have, even outside of work. To me that is unacceptable. Another poster rightly said the constitution only protects you from government reprisals against your speech. I believe we need laws to protect you from your employer when using your free speech rights as long as you are not on their time. What value is it if I have free speech if my employer can fire me for using it??? The answer is that it has no value, unless of course I don't need a job. Political correctness is being enforced through employers these days, since the social progressives have figured out they will never have it enforced by the government. Corporations give in to and fear the lawsuits and boycotts of liberal special interest groups so they enforce political correctness in a more and more aggressive nature all the time. Big brother appears to be living on Wall street these days, that is where we are losing a lot of our freedoms. Sad thing is that a lot of folks think this is ok. I have a right to my political views, and to speak out on them on my own time without fearing my employer will hear them and fire me. If your a Christian and believe in traditional values, believe homosexuality is sin, then you should be able to speak out on it. If you don't support Obamacare then you have a right to speak out on it without fearing for losing your job. This goes for people with very unpopular views as well. If you are a racist, you have a right to speak out on your own time without fearing for your job. If you are a communist then you have the same right. While you may find the views of some people detestable, it is critical for our freedom that they can speak out without fear of reprisal. If they cannot speak out then how free are we??? The issue of companies firing people for political speech has only become a problem in recent years as special interest groups began infiltrating the corporate cultures of America. In response to their attempt to silence what they see as their political opposition we need new laws, or an expansion of our freedom of speech. I don't see why any corporation should have the right to control your speech or behavior when you are not on their time, or speaking in their name. We are not their indentured servants or their slaves. They may have the right to get away with this now, but in my opinion its a flaw in our laws that has allowed them this right. Its time to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events