Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:13 PM

576 posts, read 994,485 times

Advertisements

As the holidays draw near. I, for one, wish that a ground swell would develop to petition retailers to NOT open on T-giving Day for the madness to begin.

And no I don't work in retail. It's just that I'm old enough to remember that the almighty dollar wasn't the end-all-be-all at one point and there were actually some holidays when businesses closed <gasp>. And guess what, the world didn't come to an end.

Wouldn't it be nice if retailers would realize there are some folks who actually would enjoy being able to be home with their family on a holiday, and enjoy the day.

And besides that, anybody who wants to do so, can save just as much, on Cyber Monday, after all the madness at the malls has ended.

Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
That is your perspective. Do you realize many of the employees that work on Thanksgiving Day volunteer to do so? They get time and a half, for those that make less it is a good thing.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
I used to volunteer to work every thanksgiving. I was on salary, so no overtime. I just wanted to escape the football and the extended family.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:38 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
As the holidays draw near. I, for one, wish that a ground swell would develop to petition retailers to NOT open on T-giving Day for the madness to begin.

And no I don't work in retail. It's just that I'm old enough to remember that the almighty dollar wasn't the end-all-be-all at one point and there were actually some holidays when businesses closed <gasp>. And guess what, the world didn't come to an end.

Wouldn't it be nice if retailers would realize there are some folks who actually would enjoy being able to be home with their family on a holiday, and enjoy the day.

And besides that, anybody who wants to do so, can save just as much, on Cyber Monday, after all the madness at the malls has ended.

Any opinions?
Yea....don't shop on holidays.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
I won't be shopping on Black Friday. It sends a message to corporate America that family time is more important than shopping.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:48 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
I personally don't participate in the madness.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 AM

576 posts, read 994,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I won't be shopping on Black Friday. It sends a message to corporate America that family time is more important than shopping.

Same here. I never participate. My own private boycott if you will. Wish more people would do the same.

I do participate in Cyber Monday, and a lot of companies offer free shipping, with an order of "X" amount in dollars. Pointless to get into the madness that ensues with crowds.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Same here. I never participate. My own private boycott if you will. Wish more people would do the same.

I do participate in Cyber Monday, and a lot of companies offer free shipping, with an order of "X" amount in dollars. Pointless to get into the madness that ensues with crowds.
Agreed.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:12 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
My daughter works in retail security. It is a given that they work on Holidays, but they can try to schedule them as their day off. Her wife works in claims for an auto insurance company. Somebody has to work the phones when people get into accidents on Holidays.

I worked at a Group Home, but applied for the overnight shift so I would be home in the day and early evening to cook and share dinner with the family. Again, we could try to schedule them as our day off, but we were paid double time for Holidays so the extra money was nice.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:22 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:

Any opinions?
I agree with you. I hate the idea that Thanksgiving is more about shopper frenzy than anything now. I don't want to go out shopping on that day, I don't even want to go out a midnight. Black Friday shopping was bad enough...it should never have expanded! Shame on every one of those stores that have done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events