Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:45 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times

Advertisements

*golf clap* for Mr. Zuckerberg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:52 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
I've always heard pillow talk was the best way to learn. (Talking about his wife, not her grandmother)

I've been trying to learn Mandarin myself lately. It's actually not near as difficult as I imagined, although the tones are tricky. But then, this is the only language I've studied that didn't have European origins.
LOL on the wife, not the grandmother! As for pillow talk see the movie The Sleeping Dictionary.

The Sleeping Dictionary (2003) - IMDb

Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Germans can understand Swiss German just fine, they just pretend they can't.

Spoken Mandarin is relatively easy. A smart person could learn enough to get through an interview in about 9 months of daily practice. Reading and writing is another story.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Impressed, but not surprised. Zuckerberg is an extremely bright guy.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post

It depends. People from south Germany can adapt fast, but not everyone.
I met a guy from Lepzig in Zurich, he told me he understood only 10% of Zurich dialect.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
How did he do? I get the feeling he struggled through it pretty hard. I don't understand Chinese, but I can get by with Japanese.
When my daughter decided to study languages, I advised her to take up a non-Western-European language because it would serve her better. She took Russian and Mandarin the first year, and then stuck with Mandarin because she said it was so easy, and Russian was so hard. She graduated with degrees in Mandarin and Linguistics. She now teaches English in Beijing. I guess "hard" or "easy" is a matter of perspective!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:57 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post

Spoken Mandarin is relatively easy. A smart person could learn enough to get through an interview in about 9 months of daily practice. Reading and writing is another story.
If my experience speaking English to Germans was any indication, they tend to undersell. "Sprechen sie Englisch?" Then they get a little nervous and say "oh, a little". And then their English is freakin' perfect! Easier to understand them than a lot of people in UK/Ireland who claim to have invented the language

Old 10-23-2014, 11:59 AM

805 posts, read 1,872,845 times
a very clever man indeed.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:06 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my daughter decided to study languages, I advised her to take up a non-Western-European language because it would serve her better. She took Russian and Mandarin the first year, and then stuck with Mandarin because she said it was so easy, and Russian was so hard. She graduated with degrees in Mandarin and Linguistics. She now teaches English in Beijing. I guess "hard" or "easy" is a matter of perspective!
My kids started in a Mandarin immersion program in Kindergarten. They pick it up so fast starting so young. I've learned some helping with homework, and them teaching me.

As for dialects, that's nothing new, even in the U.S. Why do they need subtitles on "Honey Boo-Boo"?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
If my experience speaking English to Germans was any indication, they tend to undersell. "Sprechen sie Englisch?" Then they get a little nervous and say "oh, a little". And then their English is freakin' perfect! Easier to understand them than a lot of people in UK/Ireland who claim to have invented the language
This is true. A lot of native speakers just break down the language and bastardize the grammar to the point of sounding like uneducated trash. Northwestern Europeans learn it young and in a formal way so they end up sounding way more intelligible in English than a lot of people you live around. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events