Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 12:59 AM

698 posts, read 797,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
What do I need to give myself a break from, exactly?
Sorry it's late, I misread it. Now I see the word not in that sentence

Quote:
There's nothing bad about being bisexual, just as there's nothing bad about being gay. And for the record, I've been aware I was bisexual for as long as I've been aware I could be attracted to other human beings.
I agree that there is nothing wrong with feeling same sex attraction. Not at all. Which was my point.

Quote:
Of course some people think being gay or bi is bad. Some people apparently think that if you're of the opinion you were born with that attraction it puts you in the same class as a pedophile. That's weird, but...you've taught me that's a thing people believe.
I wouldn't say the same "class' they didn't molest anyone. The same mindset, yes. They share this trait, obviously. Not many people imagine innocent babies in this way. Sadly, that's where the seed is planted and if the proclivity of desires towards infants/children is part of your challenges, it can be very dangerous.

Quote:
My point is you seem very centered around the act of sex itself, when being gay or bi is a lot more than who is putting what set of genitals where. Some people can't fathom a long term relationship with a person of the opposite sex. They have no desire for it, and that's separate from any sexual desire they have.
I have no objection to that

Quote:
It does have to do with attraction and desire, but that attraction and desire isn't always sexual.
Well It almost always is, but we're close enough to agreeing here ^^

Quote:
You spent a lot of time talking about "experiencing" same-sex attraction is very similar to the way a lot of those "conversion therapy" groups talk about it. That sort of therapy is dangerous, wildly ineffective, and thankfully being done away with. It is difficult to pull apart the person and the orientation, and outright dangerous if you try to force it.
I am not familiar with "conversion therapy" but honestly, even without knowing anything about it, it sounds dangerous. But I am not a fan of therapy anyhow though there are certainly very good therapists. I cannot see how anyone can promise any sort of "coversion" if you mean replacing whatever desires you have with traditional ones. There is just no guarantee of that outcome. But with anything we strive for, where there is a will, there is often a way. But to bank on some expected result isn't wise imho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Except they haven't and currently don't. If I remember right I linked you to a Wikipedia article that shows this is not the case, even excluding the topic of marriage equality.

In every state, if I am single, I can marry. Just as you can and other single adults can

Even if I suddenly desire to be with my best girlfriend, I can still marry. I am not discriminated against

Tomorrow I will go seek that wikipedia article

Old 11-03-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
This is crazy talk. I'm sorry that I have to be so blunt about it, but it is. I've never said that that babies desire sex with others when they're babies. Stop putting words in my mouth.

And while I can't and won't speak to all of the dissimilar groups that you have enumerated above, I can state that I believe the overwhelming majority of homosexuals, heterosexuals, and pedophiles are born that way. They aren't moulded into those orientations or willed into those orientations in my experience.
What does "born that way" mean? This is your crazy talk I refer to, sorry but it is what it is

Born definition:
Born - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

1. Brought forth as if by birth
having from birth specified qualities

We refer to those birthed as newborns.
The quality we are referring to here is same sex attraction.

Newborns do not experience same sex attraction
at birth.
From birth. Nor are they brought fourth by birth with same sex attraction desires for the same gender

Newborns were not brought forth, as if by birth, with the quality of desiring sexually, anyone at all!

I don't care which group you pick out of those I listed, in fact, add heterosexuality to the list. NONE Of these folks are the way they are because they were birthed with advanced sexual desires for a particular group. They were not "born that way"

Newborns don't even know what that is. little lone have motives for such people

Last edited by CaliforniaGal1; 11-03-2014 at 02:28 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 02:55 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
What does "born that way" mean? This is your crazy talk I refer to, sorry but it is what it is

Born definition:
Born - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

1. Brought forth as if by birth
having from birth specified qualities

We refer to those birthed as newborns.
The quality we are referring to here is same sex attraction.

Newborns do not experience same sex attraction
at birth.
From birth. Nor are they brought fourth by birth with same sex attraction desires for the same gender

Newborns were not brought forth, as if by birth, with the quality of desiring sexually, anyone at all!

I don't care which group you pick out of those I listed, in fact, add heterosexuality to the list. NONE Of these folks are the way they are because they were birthed with advanced sexual desires for a particular group. They were not "born that way"

Newborns don't even know what that is. little lone have motives for such people

Sexual orientation is not learned, in my experience, but it is hardwired into all of us through conception and gestation. I am not alone in that position. Far from it. (For the avoidance of doubt, I formed this opinion decades before I read the linked Wikipedia entry, which entry I found using Google just now so that you can read up a bit about the topic.)

And sexual attraction, complete with the desire to act on it, about which you seem to be obsessing and which you seem to be confusing with sexual orientation, does not really present in children until they hit adolescence and start to go through puberty, now does it? Why do you keep going on about babies and sexual attraction? It is more than a little bit weird.

Last edited by maclock; 11-03-2014 at 03:17 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 07:32 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,948 times
This is "news" for two reasons. One, it's click-bait. People will click on the articles on shady news sites out of curiosity.

And two, it's never a bad thing to have role models for kids. Now, it's hard to hide if you're black, or female, or Asian or whatever, but those gay kids, many of whom suffer with their identity or struggle in life, have to be told who the gay success stories are because you can't tell a gay person by just looking at them (unless we get into stereotypes).

So to most people no, this doesn't "matter" but it does get another success story out there for kids.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:38 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Can anyone answer this question since it was ignored earier in this thread?

If what gays want is equality and to be treated as normal citizens, why is it that they go out of thier way every chance they get to tell people that they're "gay"? For people who claim all they want is to be treated like any normal human being, they sure go out of thier way express how different they are.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 AM

778 posts, read 823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Can anyone answer this question since it was ignored earier in this thread?

If what gays want is equality and to be treated as normal citizens, why is it that they go out of thier way every chance they get to tell people that they're "gay"? For people who claim all they want is to be treated like any normal human being, they sure go out of thier way express how different they are.
You make it sound as if being gay and being a "normal citizen" are mutually exclusive.

That may be part of why gay people continue coming out.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
You make it sound as if being gay and being a "normal citizen" are mutually exclusive.

That may be part of why gay people continue coming out.
Well the "normal citizen" term is something that many gays like to throw around. Dont tell me you have never heard not 1 gay say that all they want is to be treated like normal people/citizens. I live in NYC where there is a HUGE gay population and I hear it all the time.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 AM

778 posts, read 823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Well the "normal citizen" term is something that many gays like to throw around. Dont tell me you have never heard not 1 gay say that all they want is to be treated like normal people/citizens. I live in NYC where there is a HUGE gay population and I hear it all the time.
I am both gay (well, bi, whatever) and a "normal citizen".

I still don't see your point.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I am both gay (well, bi, whatever) and a "normal citizen".

I still don't see your point.
Dont ask me. Ask the many gays who like to refer to that term when speaking of equality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events