Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:58 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times

Advertisements

OK, I should be working right now, but this has been bothering me.

I went to vote today. I've been in CO for a few years, but I hadn't seen this on the ballot before. I had a chance to vote for "County Coroner."

There was only one candidate, but frankly, I can't understand why that would be an elected position. A coroner, in my view, should be someone chosen based solely on their medical qualifications by a nonpartisan group of experts.

I'm kind of appalled. Why is this still an elected position in some states? I just can't see the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 03:38 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
OK, I should be working right now, but this has been bothering me.

I went to vote today. I've been in CO for a few years, but I hadn't seen this on the ballot before. I had a chance to vote for "County Coroner."

There was only one candidate, but frankly, I can't understand why that would be an elected position. A coroner, in my view, should be someone chosen based solely on their medical qualifications by a nonpartisan group of experts.

I'm kind of appalled. Why is this still an elected position in some states? I just can't see the reason.
I feel the same way about the office of Soil & Water Conservation District Supervisor, which as always was on the ballot when I voted this morning.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this is not an appointed position. Say, for example, someone with a degree in Soil and Water Engineering - yes, such degrees actually exist. Even a degreed geologist with no relevant specialization would almost certainly have enough hydrology just from core requirements to perform in the position better than whoever wins an electoral race. And soil? Again, hiring someone with a degree in agricultural sciences (hardly an uncommon major) would very likely result in someone with more relevant practical experience than an election.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
I wonder if it is the type of position where you have to meet certain qualifications just to run.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:03 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Where I used to live the coroner is the top law enforcement officer in the county.

You have to be a MD, or DO.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I worked as an election judge for awhile, sometimes we would place stuff like that on the ballot just for a laugh

Old 11-04-2014, 05:01 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Some states have an elected Coroner. PA is one. Used to be funeral home directors would usually be the ones who ran. They do have to have a certification class after election prior to being sworn in.

I think some states still elect a County school Superintendent.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:19 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,645 times
I'm in Colorado, too. How'd you like the section will all the judges? Jeez Louise. I looked up every single one, but there's little to no information about most of them. Just an official list of who the state recommends for retention.

This reminds me of the John Oliver segment this past Sunday. We all need to pay so much more attention to our state's politics than to politics at the federal level. State legislators, especially, are super influential, and yet who remembers their names? Who, besides you, really even paid attention to the fact that one of the positions on our ballot was for the county coroner? Why do we ignore the fact that so many people run completely unopposed?

The "county coroner" I'm not too worried about, but I do think that there should be a plethora of information available about the judges.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:46 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I'm in Colorado, too. How'd you like the section will all the judges? Jeez Louise. I looked up every single one, but there's little to no information about most of them. Just an official list of who the state recommends for retention.

This reminds me of the John Oliver segment this past Sunday. We all need to pay so much more attention to our state's politics than to politics at the federal level. State legislators, especially, are super influential, and yet who remembers their names? Who, besides you, really even paid attention to the fact that one of the positions on our ballot was for the county coroner? Why do we ignore the fact that so many people run completely unopposed?

The "county coroner" I'm not too worried about, but I do think that there should be a plethora of information available about the judges.
Ya know, I didn't expect the judges. For some reason I missed that the last time I voted. I guess now I know. This time around I just skipped whatever race I didn't know anything about.

Frankly, most of the ballot was all very weird and arcane to me, except for the state legislators and senate races and governor. When I was in Jersey it was kind of idiot proof - the races were all well-publicized and for self-explanatory positions. Just reading the local paper, you knew exactly who everyone was. Heck, for the local elections, I'd met a good percentage of the candidates. And I can't ever recall an "unopposed election."

Being a responsible voter in Colorado is work. It's easy in Jersey. I'm beginning to understand why people talk about apathetic voters and low turnouts.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:59 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I feel the same way about the office of Soil & Water Conservation District Supervisor, which as always was on the ballot when I voted this morning. I cannot for the life of me understand why this is not an appointed position.
The SWCD offices are super political in farming areas. There are a lot of enforcement and federal/state money issues. I think these positions were made elective to avoid cronyistic (is that a word?) appointments.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
I am thinking coroner is elected because of the chance of fraud? (autopsies?) Also they have to deal a LOT with the court system. If you've ever been part of a coroner's inquest you would see how that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events