Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarvortex1415 View Post
Exactly, how about targeting the family with the loose dogs and tell them they need 1) a fence 2) a containment system 3) liability insurance on the dog 4) register dog and make sure they are up to date on shots.
There are likely responsible people who already do that. They should not lose their pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 02:40 AM

142 posts, read 294,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Here is a list of reputable organizations that disagree with that.
http://www.animalfarmfoundation.org/...ndorse_BSL.pdf
Just because they disagree with what I said doesn't make it right. My reasons are valid. Pit bulls are abused, exceed every other breed for adoption by over 6:1, and are the most euthanized breed of dog. That's beyond inhumane. That's downright disgraceful.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:23 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If you listened to the mayor or police chief or whomever that was talkings reasoning for enacting the ban it had nothing to do with a response to dog attacks or even any problems with pitbulls, the problem was dogs off leash.

Why does the solution have nothing to do with the problem. Enact tougher leash laws, say you'll seize any dog caught off leash or $5,000 fine but he's enacting a ban on one specific breed which was not an issue to combat a problem of dogs being off leash.

Also the the city offial being interviewed has a German Shepard, I personally am much more intimidated by a german shepard than I am a pitbull. Why is his dog okay? If you want to go with the spirit of this law ban any dog over 40 pounds.
I am not so sure many of these owners have 5K to pay. You will be seizing these dogs for the most part. Isn't this the same as seizing the dog due to a ban in the first place? I guess those which are kept leashed will be spared. Then you will have a few unfortunates who suddenly got loose because little Molly forgot to shut the door on her way into the house etc.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Here is a list of reputable organizations that disagree with that.
http://www.animalfarmfoundation.org/...ndorse_BSL.pdf
No, that list is not a "list of reputable organizations that disagree". The CDC has no policy at all about banning specific dog breeds.

And frankly, I could not care less what organizations publicly disagree. I stated my opinion and the reasons for it. I am sure that most organizations would hesitate to publicly support such a ban because of the loss of support from all the idiots that keep such dogs. Politics, as usual. These dogs are overbred by ignorant back-yard breeders, and purchased by mostly poor ignorant buyers, for all the wrong reasons.
I am not advocating the rounding up and killing of these dogs. I AM advocating severe penalties and restrictions on the breeding, purchase, and ownership of them.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 12-08-2014 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
More people are attacked by Golden Retrievers and Shepard's than Pit Bulls. I know a postal worker who was killed by a Shepard. I disagree with the way this town did a ban because they should have grandfathered in all the dogs already living there and made it illegal to bring anymore of that breed to the town; and they should have instituted strong leash laws.
But, personally I'm for a ban of the Pit Bull because they are so often the victims of abuse; because they outnumber 6:1 all other dogs for adoption in shelters throughout the country; and because they are also the most euthanized breed in kill shelters throughout the country. That should be considered unacceptable for any animal lover out there. If they're not born they can't be hurt.
Got any sources to back any of this up? I just Googled for awhile and only found 1 case of a Golden Retriever killing anyone. And it was a 2 month old baby that was left in a swing alone by his parents. Shepherds are the "3rd most deadly dog" behind you guessed it, pits and rots. i'm for a ban of pits because they were bred to kill, and it's in their blood. is it EVERY SINGLE PIT that's going to go and attack? No, of course not. Duh. But anytime we hear about a fatal dog attack...we already know.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:28 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,538,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
More people are attacked by Golden Retrievers and Shepard's than Pit Bulls. I know a postal worker who was killed by a Shepard. I disagree with the way this town did a ban because they should have grandfathered in all the dogs already living there and made it illegal to bring anymore of that breed to the town; and they should have instituted strong leash laws.
But, personally I'm for a ban of the Pit Bull because they are so often the victims of abuse; because they outnumber 6:1 all other dogs for adoption in shelters throughout the country; and because they are also the most euthanized breed in kill shelters throughout the country. That should be considered unacceptable for any animal lover out there. If they're not born they can't be hurt.
Top 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds Based on Bite Fatalities | Curiosity Aroused

Looks like Pits are the most dangerous breed.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
I read a statistic somewhere that pitbulls are the most euthanized breed of dogs in the United States. I think the estimate was more than 3.24 million every year are killed. Reportedly in LA, there are 200 pitbulls euthanized every day. Do I feel bad for these dogs? Nope. People in this country seem to have no problems murdering the innocent unborn but love to raise hell and scream like a banshee when it comes to their damn animals. So let the euthanizers have at it.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:42 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times
On one hand, while I am annoyed by out-of control dogs by irresponsible owners and applaud any action, my response is like that of many others here--ban or regulate loose dogs WHATEVER THE BREED. Even if a, say, yorkie, isn't dangerous to an adult, it could bite a child walking the street (with their parents) petting the dog not knowing better and before the parent can act to tell their child to leave it alone, whereas if the dog was leashed & the child came up to it that might be different. Simply enough, the problem is people who don't control their dogs, WHATEVER the breed.

On the other hand--many say it's wrong how they're targeting the breed for banning. My question is, why are so many people so gung-ho about obtaining pit bulls in the first place? That seems silly to me. There are so many other breeds out there that make great dogs. I personally like lab mixes myself. Regardless, there are so many breeds out there, I think it's kind of silly how certain people seem so gung-ho about pit bulls as if they're the only decent dogs on the face of the planet. Their fixation to where it seems they just HAVE to own a pit bulls seems just as silly as the legal people's fixation on banning pit bulls vs regulating the behavior of any loose dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
{snip} People in this country seem to have no problems murdering the innocent unborn but love to raise hell and scream like a banshee when it comes to their damn animals.
No kidding. Few things annoy me more than people--and they do it with cats, too, but ESPECIALLY with dogs--acting like their pet is "family" and "they're my children just as much as my 2 legged children are" etc etc. It's just ridiculous. Enough. Please. It's fine to love your pet, it really is. It's even fine to be a single person and have a pet instead of a child because you don't want the extra responsibility that children bring but you want to love SOMETHING that's alive despite your simpler lifestyle. That's fine, it really is. However, making out like dogs (or cats, or pigs, whatever) are every bit as important as human beings--please. That's just perverted and twisted.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:15 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,538,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
acting like their pet is "family" and "they're my children just as much as my 2 legged children are" etc etc. It's just ridiculous. Enough. Please. It's fine to love your pet, it really is. It's even fine to be a single person and have a pet instead of a child because you don't want the extra responsibility that children bring but you want to love SOMETHING that's alive despite your simpler lifestyle. That's fine, it really is. However, making out like dogs (or cats, or pigs, whatever) are every bit as important as human beings--please. That's just perverted and twisted.
I heard someone make a good point about that a while back.

Imagine a mother who has a terminally ill child. It would be a common prayer for her to beg God to take her life and spare her child.
Can you imagine someone with a dying dog begging God to take their life and spare Fido?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,948,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And frankly, I could not care less what organizations publicly disagree. I stated my opinion and the reasons for it.
You are welcome to your own opinion, but not your own facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events