Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 06:22 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times

Advertisements

And to no surprise, Barkley has also been called a sell out for stating his opinion.

There are a lot of people who believe in free speech and opinions, unless your opinion disgrees with theirs. Barkley spoke his mind and that's it.

I admire his courage to do so, as a celebrity, they often go with whatever is popular or PC in order to maintain their popularity.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:24 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
He didn't steal the cigarettes. He left the money on the counter. He wasn't legally of age to purchase them which is why the store owner tried to stop him.

Never said he was an angel, but he also wasn't some crazed madman the way Wilson described him.

Only one person sounds like a "madman" in this situation.
I don't know. I watched the video and it looked like he stole them to me. He reached behind the counter and handed a pack to his friend and then reached for more. Unless there's another video showing something different. But I'd hardly condone killing a man for stealing cigarettes. If he tried to take the officers gun, fine. But we will never really know what happened. Or at least I won't.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:26 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Barkley just came out with strong statements supporting the Ferguson decision.

While some may say who cares, I admire him as a public figure not afraid to speak against the grain. Lots of other celebs are doing things like not releasing their designer shoes in protest of the Ferguson decision (Solange Knowles).

Good for you Charles.
Why not include a link if you read this somewhere?

Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Why not include a link if you read this somewhere?
Charles Barkley: Ferguson Grand Jury Got it Right, Looters Are Scumbags

Old 12-01-2014, 06:40 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
I'd say calling the looters "scumbags" is a tad harsh. These people were jerked around by the media regarding this case almost from day one. I'd call then naive and easily swayed masses, who were too easily influenced.

The original story which came out in August, when it first broke, was that an unarmed young boy was shot in the back while he had his arms up pleading "don't shoot".

The case turned out to be a lot more complicated than that, and the original story was shown to be in error fairly quickly. Instead of dropping the issue as a national concern, the media just ramped it up for months, promising riots, and using the whole thing to gin up their ratings. The must see TV last Monday were a gold mine for CNN, Fox and MSNBC, rioting is interesting.

The rioters were just part of the unpaid entertainment, agitated to do something they wouldn't have ordinarily.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:47 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
[QUOTE=marilyn220;37471232]Why are you putting words in my mouth?? WHERE did I say this was his intention for that day?? Where??

I don't know WHAT was in his head the day of the shooting.stole

All I know is that I do not believe HIS version of "crazed" hulking black man with super human strength trying to charge through a hail of gun fire to get a cop that was more than several feet away.[/quote]

Really? I believe that version because that's what I and everyone but you saw on that video: a crazed, hulking 6'5" giant who stole merchandise, used two fingers to push the shop owner who dared to confront him about it, then, when the shop owner pursued him, turned around, approached the owner in a menacing manner, and belly-butted him into the counter.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:50 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
Worth reiterating: The killing of Michael Brown on August 9 was the first homicide in Ferguson, MO this year.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Worth reiterating: The killing of Michael Brown on August 9 was the first homicide in Ferguson, MO this year.
Actually, justified homicide. When a police officer kills someone and is found to have followed the law, then it is called justified homicide.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Why this ****$y cop was so scared that he had to shoot 6 times? I am sure you really have no answer to that, do you?
That sounds so ridiculously macho. Is there some sort of he-man ghetto code that Wilson violated? Should he have holstered his gun and fought that big beast hand to hand just so he could impress you with his fearlessness? I'm curious and a bit confused about how a cop should save his own life and win the mob's respect when he's assaulted. Help us out with the rules here. How about one shot and then he has to holster his gun and brawl with the even more enraged assailant? That's clearly a loser idea and nobody on Team Cop is going to go for it. So how about two shots? Now the guy is going to be slowed down a little so after the gun play is over the cop is going to have to pull his punches a little to keep it fair. What about three shots but the cop is limited to punching only where the assailant doesn't have bleeding bullet holes in him? Would you go as high as four or five shots and then the cop has to just back up slowly and throw insults until dude bleeds out sufficiently to lose blood pressure and fall down?

I personally think that when confronted with a violent assailant, a cop large or small, male or female should pull the trigger until the assailant stops being a threat or until the gun goes *click*. I'm an open minded guy though so why don't you tell me how the code of shooting attacking criminals works where you come from?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:22 PM

677 posts, read 672,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Actually, justified homicide. When a police officer kills someone and is found to have followed the law, then it is called justified homicide.
I thought the cops called it "Making him good"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events