Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not bogus at all, any dog, I will repeat, ANY DOG, can be trained, abused, whatever, to be aggressive, especially in a pack mentality mode.

Focusing on breeds will cause overlooking of what the real issue is, which is vicious dogs. There is also the issue of even defining a breed, which is why we got numerous idiotic breed bans now that report to "well, it looks similar to the banned breed", even if the dog does not have any of the breed in it. Breed bans also punish those who have well behaving dogs just because of the dog's breed, while letting those with vicious, non-banned dogs get by under the radar, even though "vicious dogs" is the target.

There needs to be just a focus on vicious dogs, no matter the breed; increase the penalties for having a vicious dog; and impose lifetime dog ownership ban on those who create the conditions for a dog to become vicious.

By the way, the dog attacks are relatively rare, and often are reported with incorrect information in order to attract headlines thus revenue.

If you read the story, the police have already been to the home multiple times due to the dogs, yet no action was ever taken. This is the real problem, the laws only allow for action when something happens, and even then, a lot of the time a person only needs to "surrender" their dogs and they basically get off the hook for any trouble, and are free to get more dogs. This is the issue with many dog attacks; numerous problems before reported, nothing done about it. More than a few owners are repeat offenders of this as well.
I agree to an extent.

I agree any dog can be trained to be aggressive, but a Chihuahua wont kill an adult. A Dachshund wont kill an adult, no matter how "vicious" it was "trained" to be. However, with aggressive breeds like Pits and Rots, most of them that kill people arent trained to be vicious, either. These arent escaped fighting dogs or something. These are neighborhood pets that snap and kill. I wont claim all Pits or Rots are dangerous, so dont get me wrong. Some snap and attack, some dont. However, those that do snap exact a heavy toll on innocents, and Im sick and tired of reading about it. Im even more sick and tired of their defenders saying "he was a good dog, I dont know what happened, he wasnt raised like that" and yada, yada, yada. Theyre dangerous freaking dogs! End of story! You might get lucky and have one that is a lover. You might get cursed and have one that is a lover one day, and the next is ripping the flesh off a neighborhood child riding by on their bike. Theyre just too unpredictable to be kept as pets, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 01:02 PM

672 posts, read 789,154 times
These dogs were intact (not neutered), and two of the dogs were in heat. This is a bigger factor than the breed of the dogs.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Well we have "service pigs" that HAVE to be on an airplane...so go figure. At least a pig is harmless. Maybe we'll have "service tigers" next. How long till the victim in the case gets blamed for her own attack
Pigs harmless, hardly. Have you ever seen a pig attack, kill and devour another animal? OMG lets kill all the pigs. I happened upon my boar hog ripping the limbs from a squirrel. How he got the squirrel I have no idea. He also charged at me a couple times. Yes its what animals do. One day I may slip in the mud and they might eat me. We live with risks everyday its kind of hard not to. Most of us do our best to minimize those risks but chit is still going to happen unless we resign ourselves to live in a bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Bees kill more people than pedophile child killers. Does that mean we should just ignore the pedophile child killers or do nothing to prevent them from killing. Also, bee kills are allergic reactions. Dog fatalities are rare, dog bites/attacks are COMMON.

Statistics like that are meaningless.
That's not what I'm saying at all. Why grab your pitch forks and torches and go after one particular species or one group of killers when in fact humans are killed by various animals, humans, vehicles, sports, cigarettes, etc. etc. And statistically dog fatalities in the US are very low. World wide more people die from contracting rabies from dogs than from dog attacks.

I guess those statistics are about as meaningless as generating statistics on dog bites and specific breeds.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I agree to an extent.

I agree any dog can be trained to be aggressive, but a Chihuahua wont kill an adult. A Dachshund wont kill an adult, no matter how "vicious" it was "trained" to be. However, with aggressive breeds like Pits and Rots, most of them that kill people arent trained to be vicious, either. These arent escaped fighting dogs or something. These are neighborhood pets that snap and kill. I wont claim all Pits or Rots are dangerous, so dont get me wrong. Some snap and attack, some dont. However, those that do snap exact a heavy toll on innocents, and Im sick and tired of reading about it. Im even more sick and tired of their defenders saying "he was a good dog, I dont know what happened, he wasnt raised like that" and yada, yada, yada. Theyre dangerous freaking dogs! End of story! You might get lucky and have one that is a lover. You might get cursed and have one that is a lover one day, and the next is ripping the flesh off a neighborhood child riding by on their bike. Theyre just too unpredictable to be kept as pets, IMO.
I tend to disagree. Ive had pits and rots and do not believe they are aggressive breeds. Large, powerful and pits tenacious, yes. They can do more damage yes.

I also have doubt that most animals just snap. Mostly likely they bite or attack for a reason we may not understand because most people, myself included, don't know or understand fully animal behavior and signals or how animals perceive our actions or how an individual animal my perceive our actions differently based on prior experiences.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
what are scary are not the dog attacks its the dog lovers who defend killer breeds to the end.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:30 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times
"Viciously" mauled? As opposed to a kind and gentle mauling?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what are scary are not the dog attacks its the dog lovers who defend killer breeds to the end.

What's scarier is lynch mobs driven by hysteria and ignorance.

I am a dog lover but will not defend any individual dog that has committed an offence as I would not defend any human or other creature that committed such an offence but I will not condemn and entire breed, race or gender for the sins of one.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:55 PM

672 posts, read 789,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I tend to disagree. Ive had pits and rots and do not believe they are aggressive breeds. Large, powerful and pits tenacious, yes. They can do more damage yes.

I also have doubt that most animals just snap. Mostly likely they bite or attack for a reason we may not understand because most people, myself included, don't know or understand fully animal behavior and signals or how animals perceive our actions or how an individual animal my perceive our actions differently based on prior experiences.
We do know that there are certain triggers for dogs. Children tend to be attacked more often because they trigger the dog's prey drive by moving quickly, making high pitched noises, often mimicking the sounds that prey animals make.

In this particular instance, the dogs were intact. It is known that intact dogs are more than two times as likely to attack as neutered, male dogs are more than six times more likely to attack than female, and females in heat or with pups are more likely to attack at close to twice the rate than those who are not. Many animals don't like eye contact, they perceive it as a challenge, many dogs will challenge humans that they perceive as being weaker.

Dogs that are chained are also prone to attack those that wander into their territory.

Dogs that are sick and old can snap out of pain, dogs can resource guard, especially those that have been starved.

Unfortunately, some breeders have bred aggression into their lines, they've perpetuated some of this into certain lines of bully breeds. But this does not mean that all dogs of these breeds are aggressive. I've known pit bull types and mastiffs that wouldn't hurt a flea, I've seen aggressive labs.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM

260 posts, read 427,921 times
Stories like this remind me why I have dog phobias. I grew up with sweet kitties that sat in my lap and purred the day away. I am fully aware that cats can maul too, but within the domestic circle of cats they are generally small, and sometimes timid to strangers. But dogs- they see a stranger and run up to you growling and barking. It's probably some "defending my turf" thing but it's terrifying, especially with big dogs. Why do people like to have growling menacing animals around them all the time? And then there are the fools who let their dogs go loose and not give a crap.
These are just my thoughts from a cat-person perspective. And then there's the lady who was mauled by her own dog...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvd3ZKyfKYQ

Old 12-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
We do know that there are certain triggers for dogs. Children tend to be attacked more often because they trigger the dog's prey drive by moving quickly, making high pitched noises, often mimicking the sounds that prey animals make.

In this particular instance, the dogs were intact. It is known that intact dogs are more than two times as likely to attack as neutered, male dogs are more than six times more likely to attack than female, and females in heat or with pups are more likely to attack at close to twice the rate than those who are not. Many animals don't like eye contact, they perceive it as a challenge, many dogs will challenge humans that they perceive as being weaker.

Dogs that are chained are also prone to attack those that wander into their territory.

Dogs that are sick and old can snap out of pain, dogs can resource guard, especially those that have been starved.

Unfortunately, some breeders have bred aggression into their lines, they've perpetuated some of this into certain lines of bully breeds. But this does not mean that all dogs of these breeds are aggressive. I've known pit bull types and mastiffs that wouldn't hurt a flea, I've seen aggressive labs.
Yes. And weren't two of the dogs in heat?
I'm not sure why the owners had all these dogs together. Again this is a case of human error not aggressive dogs, as are most situations.

Animals in a reproductive state or with young are at their most dangerous. They should have kept the two dogs in estrus confided away from the males.

I spend time with horses as well and you must be cautious in the midst of mares in estrus and especially so if there is a stud horse within a mile range. It is dangerous to be near a stud horse if you yourself are in estrus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events