Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Here's an article about the vilification of the pit bull.

Some pit bulls look friendly to me:

And some I find terrifying:

What's the difference (other than the cropped ears)? How can I be sure from puppyhood that I'm getting a pit bull like the first three, and not one like the fourth pic?
Ask to see the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Why are people drawn to this breed right now when backyard breeding has reduced the quality of the breed so much ?
My first pit was a rescue from two idiots. Our dog had passed away so we were open to getting another dog. My second, actually a Staffordshire, was left by his owner, intact, nearly emaciated, covered with mange and had a cherry eye, at the property I purchased. I'm usually all about rescue. I cant speak for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Why do you need thispresa canario)

When you could have this
Quote:
Plenty of other dogs to choose from that don't have man killing power like rotties, presa's, mastiffs, american bulldogs, pitbulls.
Because I do not spend my time obsessed and worrying about myself or others being attacked by a dog, or my horses, or pigs or snake bites or zombies. I do occasionally think about being injured in an auto accident, especially when the roads are bad.

Quote:
That was not a cocker spaniel in the picture!
Yep. That's how I feel when the media and public mistake other breeds for Pit Bulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Plenty of other dogs to choose from that don't have man killing power like rotties, presa's, mastiffs, american bulldogs, pitbulls.

why would I want a breed whose face and head have been so profoundly distorted by human interference that it can't breathe properly, overheats VERY easily and is prone to eyeballs popping from its sockets??

you see, I ACTUALLY know dogs and breed characteristics.... and because I am personally knowledgeable, I am able to form an intelligent opinion on the various breeds and their characteristics..... I have no need at all to rely on sensationalistic and overblown media accounts and you tube videos for MY information and opinions....

btw... you have NEVER answered either of the questions posed to you about where you would draw the line for what is an acceptable size or weight dog for OTHER people to have for companions .....

or what would be an acceptable limit on bite force for OTHER people to have for companions.....

Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
why would I want a breed whose face and head have been so profoundly distorted by human interference that it can't breathe properly, overheats VERY easily and is prone to eyeballs popping from its sockets??

you see, I ACTUALLY know dogs and breed characteristics.... and because I am personally knowledgeable, I am able to form an intelligent opinion on the various breeds and their characteristics..... I have no need at all to rely on sensationalistic and overblown media accounts and you tube videos for MY information and opinions....

btw... you have NEVER answered either of the questions posed to you about where you would draw the line for what is an acceptable size or weight dog for OTHER people to have for companions .....

or what would be an acceptable limit on bite force for OTHER people to have for companions.....
So every dog that is not the breeds I listed can't breathe properly? LOL A quick google AKC search can tell you about a pug's breathing problems. It's COMMON knowledge. It's not specialized knowledge you have.

It's not sensationalist the amount of ER visits for dog bites and the amount of deaths caused by a few breeds. These are facts. Facts don't lie

I would say about 70 pound limit. (yes I know labs can be a bit bigger, time to start breeding them smaller)
Certains breeds, while less than size ARE more aggressive. Like pitbulls.

American bulldog can be up to 120 pounds. Rottie can be up to 130. Same with mastiffs. The are huge dangerous animals that can and DO inflict horrific damage on people.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:25 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,369 times
Georgia woman who rescued animals killed in dog attack | Fox News

Another fatality. Again. Presa's and pitties. I could find a ton of of these attacks. This is not made up stuff. It's FACTS. It's people that had died, nevermind the thousands maimed.

"Neighbor Monica Cofer said the dogs had never shows any signs of aggression in the past.

“They never showed any type of aggression,” she told the website. “Even if one got loose, you could tell them to go back to their yard and they’d go back.”

This is SOOO classic. Why are they "getting loose" to begin with. Typical.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:49 AM

[quote=mikelizard860;37685923]
Quote:
So every dog that is not the breeds I listed can't breathe properly? LOL A quick google AKC search can tell you about a pug's breathing problems. It's
COMMON knowledge. It's not specialized knowledge you have.
You posted a picture of a pug. One does not have to google if they are already personally familiar with certain breeds.

Quote:
It's not sensationalist the amount of ER visits for dog bites and the amount of
deaths caused by a few breeds. These are facts. Facts don't lie
What number qualifies for sensationalism? 32? Fact: In 2011 (most current stats from the CDC) there were 32 dog attack fatalities, 1,545 fatalities from child neglect and abuse (for perspective).
Dog bites 4.5 million, 855,000 requiring medical attention. There are ~300 million people in the US, .002% of the population sustained a dog bite requiring medical attention. .0000001% fatalities.

Quote:

I would say about 70 pound limit. (yes I know labs can be a bit bigger, time
to start breeding them smaller)

American bulldog can be up to 120 pounds. Rottie can be up to 130. Same with
mastiffs. The are huge dangerous animals that can and DO inflict horrific damage
on people.
So no dogs in excess of 70lbs and we can all rest easy that we wont potentially be one of the 0.0000001% killed by a potentially dangerous dog. Ok then.

Wait, what about the fatties ? Over 70lbs.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:53 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times
Quote:
I would say about 70 pound limit. (yes I know labs can be a bit bigger, time to start breeding them smaller)

American bulldog can be up to 120 pounds. Rottie can be up to 130. Same with mastiffs. The are huge dangerous animals that can and DO inflict horrific damage on people.
Well at least the pitbulls will be safe from your size limitation. Most of them are only 50-60 pounds.

Phew.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Well at least the pitbulls will be safe from your size limitation. Most of them are only 50-60 pounds.

Phew.
And that's on the top end of the weight scale.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
So every dog that is not the breeds I listed can't breathe properly? LOL A quick google AKC search can tell you about a pug's breathing problems. It's COMMON knowledge. It's not specialized knowledge you have.

It's not sensationalist the amount of ER visits for dog bites and the amount of deaths caused by a few breeds. These are facts. Facts don't lie

I never claimed to have specialized knowledge about pugs.... but then again, I don't have to search around the 'net on google to research their breathing problems..... because I already know about them through my experience with the breed....

hhhmmmm..... 70 lbs?? .... you just eliminated my lab x boxer mix and chubby red heeler mix.... and you know those boxers.... perpetual 3 year olds in a dog suit.... or did you know that??

and what about those larger labs and goldens and shepherds that are trained service dogs?? a larger dog is quite often capable of helping disabled humans in ways a smaller dog can not.... but if our limit is 70 lbs.... oh, well, too bad, so sad quadriplegic vet and paraplegic car accident survivor....

that suggestion is ridiculous it will never happen.... if you want to limit my dogs to 70 lbs apiece, then I reserve the right to limit your gun clips to four rounds apiece.... After all, your gone can maim and kill me from a block away....

Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 AM

[quote=2mares;37686314]
Quote:

You posted a picture of a pug. One does not have to google if they are already personally familiar with certain breeds.

What number qualifies for sensationalism? 32? Fact: In 2011 (most current stats from the CDC) there were 32 dog attack fatalities, 1,545 fatalities from child neglect and abuse (for perspective).
Dog bites 4.5 million, 855,000 requiring medical attention. There are ~300 million people in the US, .002% of the population sustained a dog bite requiring medical attention. .0000001% fatalities.

So no dogs in excess of 70lbs and we can all rest easy that we wont potentially be one of the 0.0000001% killed by a potentially dangerous dog. Ok then.

Wait, what about the fatties ? Over 70lbs.

that poor little doxie was put on a diet a year or more ago and has lost a TREMENDOUS amount of weight....

Old 12-18-2014, 11:32 AM

[quote=latetotheparty;37686729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

that poor little doxie was put on a diet a year or more ago and has lost a TREMENDOUS amount of weight....
PHEW, then he is no longer a 70lb vicious threat to society at large!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events