Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times

Advertisements

[quote=2mares;37686910]
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

PHEW, then he is no longer a 70lb vicious threat to society at large!

LOL ... correct!! but ironically, doxies have one of the HIGHEST rates of dog bites of any breed or mix out there..... bred to hunt and kill badgers, so they can be mean little devils.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 11:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,843,355 times
[quote=latetotheparty;37687068]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

LOL ... correct!! but ironically, doxies have one of the HIGHEST rates of dog bites of any breed or mix out there..... bred to hunt and kill badgers, so they can be mean little devils.....
Never much cared for them. The kids I babysat for when I was a teen had one, a male, who would constantly rub his wiener on the carpet making disgusting slurp grunting noises. That may be why I have never allowed my dogs to lick/chew there butts within my hearing distance.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,561,699 times
[quote=2mares;37687204]
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

Never much cared for them. The kids I babysat for when I was a teen had one, a male, who would constantly rub his wiener on the carpet making disgusting slurp grunting noises. That may be why I have never allowed my dogs to lick/chew there butts within my hearing distance.
Ugh!!! My dog used to do that disgusting habit all the time. I finally broke him of that habit when he was sent to the garage EVERYTIME he did that. He was a slow learner but he eventually figured it out.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:00 PM

393 posts, read 345,438 times
It's one of the facets of American culture that I never understood - the unhealthy obsession with pets, specifically, dogs. I did a Google Search one time because I was curious as to why this is the case. The responses I found, can all be summed up by the following: "Because we're Americans, and we're the best and we can afford dogs. Because dogs are the best. Superior to all other creatures except for humans. People in other countries aren't as obsessed with dogs because those people suck, they're not Americans like us. I hope it doesn't sound self-centered when I say, that we Americans and our dogs, are the greatest people on Earth."

So I'm not sure if some Americans actually believe this, but it's obviously incorrect. I suppose it would be no surprise, though. Maybe I'm not supposed to understand it.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:18 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temeku View Post
It's one of the facets of American culture that I never understood - the unhealthy obsession with pets, specifically, dogs. I did a Google Search one time because I was curious as to why this is the case. The responses I found, can all be summed up by the following: "Because we're Americans, and we're the best and we can afford dogs. Because dogs are the best. Superior to all other creatures except for humans. People in other countries aren't as obsessed with dogs because those people suck, they're not Americans like us. I hope it doesn't sound self-centered when I say, that we Americans and our dogs, are the greatest people on Earth."

So I'm not sure if some Americans actually believe this, but it's obviously incorrect. I suppose it would be no surprise, though. Maybe I'm not supposed to understand it.
Apparently not.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:

I'm sure the person quoted/bolded meant to say "superior to all other creatures, including some humans."

Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:

Actually, many people in other countries really like their pets as well (not saying you do not know, just addressing your quoted comments). And I think this is much better than those countries who have little to zero regard for pets or domesticated animals in general, in which those countries are generally not the best places to live.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:43 AM

672 posts, read 789,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
So every dog that is not the breeds I listed can't breathe properly? LOL A quick google AKC search can tell you about a pug's breathing problems. It's COMMON knowledge. It's not specialized knowledge you have.

It's not sensationalist the amount of ER visits for dog bites and the amount of deaths caused by a few breeds. These are facts. Facts don't lie

I would say about 70 pound limit. (yes I know labs can be a bit bigger, time to start breeding them smaller)
Certains breeds, while less than size ARE more aggressive. Like pitbulls.

American bulldog can be up to 120 pounds. Rottie can be up to 130. Same with mastiffs. The are huge dangerous animals that can and DO inflict horrific damage on people.
Pitbull isn't a breed, it is a type. There are several breeds of dogs which comprise the type, as well as mixes. None are large. To be more accurate, molosser type dogs are responsible for the vast majority of fatalities. A lot of dogs are called "pit bull" when they aren't even terriers.

this study http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-atta...ifton-2013.pdf

breaks down US and Canada stats by breeds. In my view, the study is flawed in that it doesn't further break down the gender and sexual status (neutered or intact) of these dogs involved in the attacks, but it does support the general notion that there is a "type" or "class" of dogs which are more likely to attack.

Other data shows that intact male dogs, regardless of breed, are responsible for over 70% of dog attacks. So, to loop this post back to the subject, again, the dogs involved in the attack were intact, there were pregnant females, etc.

It seems that a lot of dogs that are raised for fighting are kept intact, there are a lot of guys out there who are too "macho" to neuter their dogs, people keep their dogs intact for backyard breeding.

It really comes back to ownership. There are a lot of people out there who are not responsible dog owners and handlers, they don't train their dogs, they can't control them, they use them for sport only, they breed for aggression, etc.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Pitbull isn't a breed, it is a type. There are several breeds of dogs which comprise the type, as well as mixes. None are large. To be more accurate, molosser type dogs are responsible for the vast majority of fatalities. A lot of dogs are called "pit bull" when they aren't even terriers.

this study http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/dog-atta...ifton-2013.pdf

breaks down US and Canada stats by breeds. In my view, the study is flawed in that it doesn't further break down the gender and sexual status (neutered or intact) of these dogs involved in the attacks, but it does support the general notion that there is a "type" or "class" of dogs which are more likely to attack.

Other data shows that intact male dogs, regardless of breed, are responsible for over 70% of dog attacks. So, to loop this post back to the subject, again, the dogs involved in the attack were intact, there were pregnant females, etc.

It seems that a lot of dogs that are raised for fighting are kept intact, there are a lot of guys out there who are too "macho" to neuter their dogs, people keep their dogs intact for backyard breeding.

It really comes back to ownership. There are a lot of people out there who are not responsible dog owners and handlers, they don't train their dogs, they can't control them, they use them for sport only, they breed for aggression, etc.
Excellent article. But the conclusion BY YOU of being neutered will take away all the attacks is silly.
Lets stick to the facts people
Directly from the study

"Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity to be listed,
pit bulls and their close mixes make up only about 6% of the total U.S. dog population,
according to my frequent surveys of regionally balanced samples of classified ads of dogs
for sale, but they constitute 37% of the dog population in U.S. animal shelters at any
given time, according to my 2013 single-day shelter inventory survey, which followed
up similar surveys producing similar results done in 2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
Pit bulls are noteworthy on the chart above for attacking adults almost as
frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern, also seen in the bull mastiff/Presa
Canario line.
Children are normally at greatest risk from dog bite because they play with
dogs more often, have less experience in reading dog behavior, are more likely to
engage in activity that alarms or stimulates a dog, and are less able to defend themselves
when a dog becomes aggressive. Pit bulls and the bull mastiff/Presa Canario dog
category (whose ancestry overlaps pit bull ancestry) seem to differ behaviorally from
other dogs in having far less inhibition about attacking people who are larger than they are. They are also notorious for attacking seemingly without warning
, a tendency
exacerbated by the formerly common and still occasionally seen custom of docking pit
bulls’ tails so that warning signals are not easily recognized. Thus the adult victim of a
pit bull attack may have had little or no opportunity to read the warning signals that
would avert an attack from any other dog.
Rottweilers by contrast show a fairly normal child/adult attack ratio. They seem
to show up disproportionately often in the mauling, killing, and maiming statistics
simply because they are both quite popular and very powerful, capable of doing a great
deal of damage in cases where bites by other breeds might be relatively harmless.

Wolf hybrids, German shepherds, and huskies are at the extreme opposite end of
the scale, rarely inflicting severe injury on adults––but it would be a huge mistake to
assume that these seemingly similar patterns reflect similar behavior.
German shepherds are herding dogs, bred for generations to guide and protect
sheep. In modern society, they are among the dogs of choice for families with small
children, because of their extremely strong protective instinct. They have three
distinctively different bites: the guiding nip, which usually does not break the skin; the
grab-and-drag, to pull a puppy or lamb or child away from danger, which is as gentle as
emergency circumstances allow; and the reactive bite, usually in defense of territory, a
child, or someone else the dog is inclined to guard. The reactive bite usually comes only
after many warning barks, growls, and other exhibitions intended to avert a conflict.
When it does come, it is typically accompanied by a frontal leap for the wrist or throat.
Because German shepherds often use the guiding nip and the grab-and-drag with
children, who sometimes misread the dogs’ intentions and pull away in panic, they are
involved in biting incidents at almost twice the rate that their numbers alone would
predict: approximately 28% of all bite cases, according to a recent five-year compilation
of Minneapolis animal control data. Yet none of the Minneapolis bites by German
shepherds involved a serious injury: hurting someone is almost never the dogs’ intent.
Every one of the wolf hybrid attacks, however, seems to have been predatory.
Only four of the fatality victims were older than age seven, and all three were of small
stature. The first adult fatality was killed in the presence of her two young sons, whom
she was apparently trying to protect. The second was killed while apparently trying to
protect her dog. Most of the victims were killed very quickly. Some never knew the
wolf hybrid was present. Some may never have known what hit them. Some were killed
right in front of parents, who had no time to react.
---
Akitas, Malamutes, and Samoyeds have a similar attack pattern, but while these
are also “northern breeds” used to pull sleds, most of the attacks by Akitas, Malamutes,
and Samoyeds have occurred in ordinary home situations.
Chows, apparently an ancient cross of Arctic dogs with dogs of molosser lineage,
exhibit an attack pattern comparable to that of the northern breeds.
What all this may mean relative to legislation is problematic. Historically, breedspecific
legislation has proved very difficult to enforce because of the problems inherent
in defining animals for whom there may be no breed standards, or conflicting standards.
Both pit bulls and wolf hybrids tend to elude easy legal definition; neither can they be
recognized by genetic testing.
The traditional approach to dangerous dog legislation is to allow “one free bite,”
at which point the owner is warned. On second bite, the dog is killed. The traditional
approach, however, patently does not apply in addressing the threats from pit bulls,
Rottweilers, and wolf hybrids. In more than two-thirds of the cases I have logged, the
life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the
animal in question.
Children and elderly people were almost always the victims.
Temperament, I must emphasize, is not the issue illustrated by the above data,
nor is it relevant. What this data reveals is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a
bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the
actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable
. If a pit bull or a Rottweiler has a bad moment,
often someone is maimed or killed––and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk,
for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price."

Again people's SICK obsession with owning dangerous dogs and valuing dog life over human life is leading to this totally avoidable carnage. Again certain breeds CLEARLY showing a propensity to attacking that's higher than other breeds. This is REALITY and backed up with facts. Mastiffs/presa's/pitbulls/rottweilers/akita's and mixes of these dogs are notoriously dangerous. There's a reason insurance companies won't insure people who have certain breeds

Old 12-19-2014, 09:38 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,878 times
Please people. Read the numbers in that study. It's STAGGERING.
Golden retriever has 7 maimings while the pit bull has 1677. It's a no contest. Common sense that BREEDING plays a role as does power of the animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events