Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 07:11 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times

Advertisements

Australia has those images too.

My dad doesn't even care. I don't too. It's just scare tactics.

Some will get cancer or disease, some wouldn't. This applies to nonsmokers too. It really depends on the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 09:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
I have no idea why any adult would care. It is not like they do not know or have access to this info anyway.

Now, when will these warnings come on food? Alcohol?

Old 12-06-2014, 10:36 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
I think you'd actually be surprised how NOT effective this has been in Canada, actually. People get used to this and just ignore the pictures and don't bat an eye when they pull out a cigarette. They know it's bad for them, they don't care. Probably doesn't hurt, though.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:39 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
I'm a smoker and I find the Truth Campaign commercials disgusting, repulsive, and offensive. There's not much worse than being bombarded with tracheotomy patients talking while you're trying to feed your child his dinner, or eat your own.

The real truth is no state wants people to quit smoking. Smokers are demonized by advertisements and activists, but they provide one hell of a source of tax revenue. We also pay higher insurance premiums and are more likely to patronize bars and spend lots of money. We also have the "I only smoke when I'm drinking people" who always bum smokes and further create tax revenue. Smokers are a necessary evil if you like your current tax rates. Just imagine for a moment that smoking was outlawed tomorrow, but all of the tax revenue had to be replaced. Where would it come from? Property taxes? Auto taxes? Sales tax? It has to be replaced. We all know that our spendthrift government isn't going to take a cut in their income. How does that revenue get replaced?

As far as quitting goes, a smoker will quit when they want to quit. Not a minute before. Ad campaigns that offend even non-smokers won't help. They do little more than **** people off and make then resentful. We change the channel, and in some cases just quit watching the channel where the ads air. I know I'm not the on;y one who has stopped watching a channel where those ads come on at every commercial break. If there is a true desire to help people quit smoking, offer words of encouragement, not gloom and doom messages. There's not a smoker out there that is unaware of the dangers of smoking. We don't need a reminder. To quit, we need a helping hand, a friend. Smokers already have enough enemies.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:28 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I'm a smoker and I find the Truth Campaign commercials disgusting, repulsive, and offensive. There's not much worse than being bombarded with tracheotomy patients talking while you're trying to feed your child his dinner, or eat your own.

The real truth is no state wants people to quit smoking. Smokers are demonized by advertisements and activists, but they provide one hell of a source of tax revenue. We also pay higher insurance premiums and are more likely to patronize bars and spend lots of money. We also have the "I only smoke when I'm drinking people" who always bum smokes and further create tax revenue. Smokers are a necessary evil if you like your current tax rates. Just imagine for a moment that smoking was outlawed tomorrow, but all of the tax revenue had to be replaced. Where would it come from? Property taxes? Auto taxes? Sales tax? It has to be replaced. We all know that our spendthrift government isn't going to take a cut in their income. How does that revenue get replaced?

As far as quitting goes, a smoker will quit when they want to quit. Not a minute before. Ad campaigns that offend even non-smokers won't help. They do little more than **** people off and make then resentful. We change the channel, and in some cases just quit watching the channel where the ads air. I know I'm not the on;y one who has stopped watching a channel where those ads come on at every commercial break. If there is a true desire to help people quit smoking, offer words of encouragement, not gloom and doom messages. There's not a smoker out there that is unaware of the dangers of smoking. We don't need a reminder. To quit, we need a helping hand, a friend. Smokers already have enough enemies.
Not to mention they usually die earlier, saving the state a pretty penny in social security, Medicare, and government pensions.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:34 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
These pictures are the reason people smoke ridiculous amounts and die. The message is clear: "I'm Leroy and I cant speak and breathe through a hole because THATS HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO QUIT SMOKING". When a smoker sees that picture, it is logical they will be less likely to quit, simply because quitting smoking is so easy (speaking from experience here), that there is no reason someone would let it hurt them so much, unless they've been brainwashed into thinking how difficult it is to quit. Of course, if we let the truth out and let the public know how easy it is to quit smoking, everyone might just start smoking, and then nobody might quit since it would be so socially acceptable. Point is simple, most people who dont smoke do it because they've been brainwashed, and most people who cant quit smoking do it because theyve also been brainwashed. There are some people who can think for themselves (and dont smoke because of it), I'd say about 1% of total population....
I didn't find it that easy.
I didn't use any patches etc. I found it difficult, but am so glad I did quit.
Most people who don't smoke, don't smoke because they don't like it... nothing to do with being brainwashed.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:58 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCostello

These pictures are the reason people smoke
ridiculous amounts and die. The message is clear: "I'm Leroy and I cant speak
and breathe through a hole because THATS HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO QUIT SMOKING".
When a smoker sees that picture, it is logical they will be less likely to quit,
simply because quitting smoking is so easy (speaking from experience
here)
, that there is no reason someone would let it hurt them so much,
unless they've been brainwashed into thinking how difficult it is to quit. Of
course, if we let the truth out and let the public know how easy it is to quit
smoking, everyone might just start smoking, and then nobody might quit since it
would be so socially acceptable. Point is simple, most people who dont smoke do
it because they've been brainwashed, and most people who cant quit smoking do it
because theyve also been brainwashed. There are some people who can think for
themselves (and dont smoke because of it), I'd say about 1% of total
population....
Yeah, it's so easy that only 4%-7% succeed on any given attempt.
If it's so easy, why do most people try to quit about 10 times? The first time should take if it's that easy.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:20 AM

282 posts, read 962,518 times
I wrote why, exactly because of pictures like that which indirectly communicate to people that quitting smoking is difficult and almost impossible task, and all those parents/schools who teach us the same (with the intention of preventing people from taking up smoking). Theres millions of people like you out there who will tell you theyve smoked and found it impossible to quit, so current smokers believe it and use it as an excuse not to quit, thats the only thing that makes it difficult. Okay I admit technically you can claim its not easy, it would just be easy if we didn't brainwash people into how difficult it is. What exactly is so difficult? Not lighting up a cigarette when your throat is already so dry that you cant even focus on the enjoyment? Experiencing withdrawal syndromes which are about as annoying as having a neighbour who plays a musical instrument? Yeah, absolutely unbearable task worth killing yourself... Its all just a form of a group psychosis.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:22 AM

121 posts, read 89,065 times
Australia has now implemented plan packaging, all cigs in dull green boxes so no branding. Big tobacco hates it to the extent they are suing Australia in the WTC which presumingly means it works! It wont affect smokers who have already got a favorite brand, but there seems to be a drop in teenagers starting which is great.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:50 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I wonder why there isn't as much outrage for smoking marijuana. It causes damage to the brain and shrinks it over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events