Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:25 PM

172 posts, read 159,283 times

Advertisements

Yes, they absolutely should turn away Cubans that come here in rafts. You are correct that we have not done so. In fact, the policy of the US is that any Cuban who makes it to shore is allowed to stay. (If you are intercepted by the Coast Guard prior to actual land fall, you are returned to Cuba.) The reason we have this special policy for Cubans is because we have been "battling" Cuba since the time of the Cold War. It's basically a remnant of the Kennedy Vs Castro times, which is why the policy dates back to the '60s.

The main issue I have with it is the same issue I have with illegal immigration. And I classify Cuban immigration as "illegal" even though there is a law - I just mean that they get to skirt regular legal processes. Illegal immigrants don't assimilate and, as they even admit, don't even like America. If you talk to illegal Mexican immigrants, they'll tell you "we don't even want to be Americans." Puerto Ricans fly the Puerto Rican flag in their cars. And Miami is basically Little Havana now, where it's actually a requirement for police to know how to speak Spanish, believe it or not.

In other words, people love to come to America for the benefits, but what they do is carve out little plots of land and simulate being back in the home country, unless it suits them not to. What do I mean? Well, if you go to Mexico and someone trips on a sidewalk, guess what they do in Mexico? They get up and keep walking. But the Mexicans in America know that they can call some lawyer they saw on television and sue the city for a few thousand dollars. Ah, America! What a great land! And then they go back to not learning how to speak English for thirty years.

I have much less of an issue with Cubans who flee Cuba and assimilate and identify themselves as Americans than I do with the ones who flee Cuba and then try to act like they're just Cubans who happen to be here. They can jump in the ocean for all I care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Why do we still have the trade embargo against cuba? The cuban missile crisis is in the past. Also, the USA was not so innocent when it comes to Cuba. End the Trade Embargo.
Because Cuba is still a country that has limited human rights, including the inability for most any of its citizens to travel freely outside the country. Granted we interact with other countries that do the same - and no government official asked my opinion about that - but none of them are just off our shores.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:37 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Because Cuba is still a country that has limited human rights, including the inability for most any of its citizens to travel freely outside the country. Granted we interact with other countries that do the same - and no government official asked my opinion about that - but none of them are just off our shores.
China is 100X worse than Cuba in regards to human rights/environmental violations but we don't dare to boss them around.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
China is 100X worse than Cuba in regards to human rights/environmental violations but we don't dare to boss them around.
That's because China owns most of our debt. You know, the stuff that people who love spending say isn't a big deal?

Old 12-14-2014, 08:24 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckooman View Post
Puerto Ricans fly the Puerto Rican flag in their cars. And Miami is basically Little Havana now, where it's actually a requirement for police to know how to speak Spanish, believe it or not.
You mean like all of the other folks who fly Italian or Greek or Portuguese and on and on flags? And have Irish-American and Italian and everything else Festivals and Parades?

And all of the numerous Little Italys and Chinatowns and Greektowns and everywhere else where when those populations were immigrating here, the primary language spoken was that of wherever they came from?

Or, going back to the earlier European settlers, those who brought their own customs with them... like speaking English?

I will ask you directly what your ethnic heritage is.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
You mean like all of the other folks who fly Italian or Greek or Portuguese and on and on flags? And have Irish-American and Italian and everything else Festivals and Parades?

And all of the numerous Little Italys and Chinatowns and Greektowns and everywhere else where when those populations were immigrating here, the primary language spoken was that of wherever they came from?

Or, going back to the earlier European settlers, those who brought their own customs with them... like speaking English?

I will ask you directly what your ethnic heritage is.
No, like how Puerto Ricans fly Puerto Rican flags. You can try all you want, but people don't fly Greek or French or Portugese flags in their cars.

Also, I find it funny that you're trying to say that since Europeans who settled America spoke English, then everyone else gets to speak their own language. That's the kind of logic that you only find with liberals, which I bet you are.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
No, like how Puerto Ricans fly Puerto Rican flags. You can try all you want, but people don't fly Greek or French or Portugese flags in their cars.

Also, I find it funny that you're trying to say that since Europeans who settled America spoke English, then everyone else gets to speak their own language. That's the kind of logic that you only find with liberals, which I bet you are.
I'm missing the distinction as to where the flags are flown. So it's ok to fly a flag of one's heritage from their front porch, but not the car? The Puerto Rican Day Parade is cool but just as long as no cars are involved? The car is the breaking point on where flags are flown?

Aside from that bit of bizarre specificity, you've never seen anyone with an Italian (etc.) flag on their car? Really?

Actually, the Europeans who originally settled America spoke English, French, and Spanish. I guess I'm lost as to your logic about first generation immigrants speaking their native homeland. You didn't address any of my point about that traditionally being the case, even with 20th century European immigrants, nor did you address your heritage at all.

I'm guessing you're avoiding addressing those points as A.) I'm going to immediately point out that people of your own heritage did the exact same thing that you are railing about when they immigrated, and B.) because it doesn't fit your dynamic of selective (and automotive-centric) bias against only certain groups exhibiting those behaviors.

How about Asian or African immigrants who also cannot speak English? Or European? There are many first generation Serbians here, many of whom speak little or no English. Are they in violation as well? I'm trying to grasp the parameters of your so far nonsensical argument.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I'm missing the distinction as to where the flags are flown. So it's ok to fly a flag of one's heritage from their front porch, but not the car? The Puerto Rican Day Parade is cool but just as long as no cars are involved? The car is the breaking point on where flags are flown?
Are you now suggesting that you walk around your neighborhood and see Greek flags and French flags and Portugese flags? Because if you do, you're the only one ever who has seen that. As for what the point of the car is, the car's not the point, the flag is. These same Puerto Ricans don't fly American flags in their car. Why is that?

Quote:
Actually, the Europeans who originally settled America spoke English, French, and Spanish.
That's interesting, and yet for some reason we didn't need to publish documents in three languages for over 200 years and people weren't expected to accommodate other languages. But now we do. Why is that?

Old 12-14-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Are you now suggesting that you walk around your neighborhood and see Greek flags and French flags and Portugese flags? Because if you do, you're the only one ever who has seen that. As for what the point of the car is, the car's not the point, the flag is. These same Puerto Ricans don't fly American flags in their car. Why is that?
House flags are definitely more common. But, again, if the flags are the point, there are plenty of flags around of varying countries based on the heritage of the person flying them.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it is because 1.) since we are actually in America currently, it's highly likely that stating that you are an American in America would be a rhetorical action, and 2.) for the same reason we don't have American Day Festivals and American Halls and American Clubs.

Quote:
That's interesting, and yet for some reason we didn't need to publish documents in three languages for over 200 years and people weren't expected to accommodate other languages. But now we do. Why is that?
For the same reason women couldn't vote and blacks and whites couldn't marry? Just throwing that up against the wall.

I can't help but notice you keep deliberately not answering many of my questions.

So, I'm just going to go ahead and assume that your heritage includes one of said groups who came to the US and did exacting what you are railing about, as were that not the case you would have directly said so. I'm not sure how you make your arguments while being a hypocrite.

I'm also still curious about Serbians or Somalis or South Koreans or the numerous other groups that fit into your description (but aren't hispanic). Waiting on that answer also.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:38 AM

1,204 posts, read 872,859 times
Quote:

Actually we I used to live, you could walk around and see a lot of Finnish flags on porches etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events