Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 PM

938 posts, read 1,516,504 times

Advertisements

So say you are a Mexican with a high school education. You visited the U.S. a couple of times to visit friends and you've fallen in love with America, the freedom, its culture, the great people, and you want to immigrate. But you've heard of all these illegals in the news giving Mexicans a bad name. You've never broken a single law in your life and you want to go to the U.S. legally. You've never missed a day of work at the restaurant you work at, and would never consider living off the government's dime because it's against your conscience. You have no family in the U.S. but do have some friends who can vouch for you. Where should you go to wait in line? Is there a fee, a couple forms, and a test you can take to get his application going? What should you do?

Moderators: Please don't move this to the Legal Immigration forum, I want to see what those who are active in the Illegal Immigration forum think about this hypothetical situation.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:03 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,077,351 times
According to your own hypo, I have already visited the US a couple of times, which means I know how to obtain a non-immigrant visa. So in knowing this, I simply have to try to obtain an immigrant visa vs the non-immigrant visa I have already used.

The rest of your hypo contradicts itself and is a poor attempt to play "gotch-a".

Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
You do exactly what anyone else from another country would do. You get a US sponsor, you fill in loads of long forms, provide a birth certificate, pay almost $1000 and file your form. You wait. Then you get further instructions, send in further forms and money and wait. Repeat. You have the criminal check and the medical check, for which you pay. Then you pay more money and are scheduled for an interview at your embassy. The instructions are on the USCIS website.

It is, however, very difficult for anyone to get into the US unless it's a marriage based visa. There are some education based visas but I don't know much about these. Not many work based visas. I think close relatives can sponsor you--you can't get in without a guaranteed sponsor who promises to support you in case you can't support yourself. It's not a simple process for anyone no matter where they come from.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:25 PM

387 posts, read 337,829 times
The only way a Mexican not a relative is going to get a resident visa in the US is via the diversity lottery. There is no other way other than having a Phd or a similar credential in some wanted field.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,850,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
The only way a Mexican not a relative is going to get a resident visa in the US is via the diversity lottery. There is no other way other than having a Phd or a similar credential in some wanted field.
Correct (two-thirds of Immigrant Visas are for a relationship to a U.S. citizen, the other third are employment-based), but Mexicans cannot (even if they live in another country with citizens that can) participate in the Diversity Visa Lottery...

There can be "Extraordinary Ability" qualifications, but the actual amount of visas issued for that is so small to not even be worth mentioning...

Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Which is fair. What can a possible legal alien wanting to come here offer the US? Then us Americans can decide if we want him or her...........or not.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,352,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
So say you are a Mexican with a high school education. You visited the U.S. a couple of times to visit friends and you've fallen in love with America, the freedom, its culture, the great people, and you want to immigrate. But you've heard of all these illegals in the news giving Mexicans a bad name. You've never broken a single law in your life and you want to go to the U.S. legally. You've never missed a day of work at the restaurant you work at, and would never consider living off the government's dime because it's against your conscience. You have no family in the U.S. but do have some friends who can vouch for you. Where should you go to wait in line? Is there a fee, a couple forms, and a test you can take to get his application going? What should you do?

Moderators: Please don't move this to the Legal Immigration forum, I want to see what those who are active in the Illegal Immigration forum think about this hypothetical situation.

I think it's his problem to figure things out and not mine. If he's not able to immigrate that's once again his problem and not mine or anyone else's.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:29 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,873,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Which is fair. What can a possible legal alien wanting to come here offer the US? Then us Americans can decide if we want him or her...........or not.
More Anchor babies and another person working the underground economy leeching off the system that's what.

That's been proven countless times.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:32 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,326,956 times
If it's so difficult for Mexicans and other Latinos to migrate here then why do the stats show them as the largest group here legally and I might add illegally also?

Top 10 legal and illegal immigrant nationalities in the U.S. - OhMyGov News

Old 01-08-2012, 03:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
And what about an uneducated jobless American with no special job skills. He went to Mexico once and fell in love with the country and now wants to go there and live forever, seek citizenship and the whole smear.

What can he do? How is he any different for the Mexican in the example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration