Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Keep you damn cat killing dogs locked up and they won't get shot.

Keep your damn songbird killing cats locked up and they won't get killed by dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 01:04 PM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times
The headline to this story bugs me "Texas Cop Shoots..." but then again it is open season on police now. What is it with the media that makes them bend the headline to cause more alarm or to keep the fire stoked? Isn't Obama only half black yet the black is highlighted? The media destroyed George Zimmerman who was hispanic but they labelled him "white hispanic"
The headline for this story could have easily been "Texas man shoots..." but I guess they are trying to sell more papers or whatever.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:44 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
That article leaves me wondering which dog actually killed the cat.
It may have been the Pitbull, with the Shepherd just investigating the kill after the fact.

Did they ever do a comparison of the bite wounds or bruises in the cat, & the spacing of the teeth in both dogs?

He did not have proof of what killed the cat, so technically had no right to shoot the dog.
This. ^

Quote:
I knew a Shepherd-Collie mix that got loose one night, and lost its collar to the hands of a father whose children's pet rabbit it had just killed. (The dog was caught in the act.) That father didn't seek revenge, but located the owners of the dog, & told them what had happened when returning the collar. (I really respect people who behave that way!)
What happened to the dog? He just let it keep running?

Old 12-16-2014, 03:37 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Yes...owner's CLEARLY AT FAULT for letting his large german shephard run loose through the neighborhood. Typical irresponsible dog owner blaming others for his own stupidity. Imagine if it was a child that dog attacked?
Because a child is more important than anyone else ? seriously ?

I'd burn his house down if it had been my dog.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:45 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The headline to this story bugs me "Texas Cop Shoots..." but then again it is open season on police now. What is it with the media that makes them bend the headline to cause more alarm or to keep the fire stoked? Isn't Obama only half black yet the black is highlighted? The media destroyed George Zimmerman who was hispanic but they labelled him "white hispanic"
The headline for this story could have easily been "Texas man shoots..." but I guess they are trying to sell more papers or whatever.

The 'cop' title comes into play because of how he tried to throw around his rank to the investigating officers and influence what they should do. In this instance, I believe the cop title deserved to be displayed.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Good. Now use the law to get rid of gang members.
Cops shooting cops? It'll never happen.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:51 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,538 times
Anyone who shoots a bad dog is a friend of mine.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
I have shot numerous dogs, that irresponsible owners let run. That is the owners fault the dog got shot, not the cops who shot it .

When I was a kid, we had a ranch that adjoined from rural housing all built up to our propert y to city housing all built up. Some owners would not keep their dogs up.

When I was 13 years old, I had taken all my savings to buy a prize purebred Milking Shorthorn calf. When she was grown, she was worth in today's dollars about $2,000. On super fine animal, that I wanted to take to a couple of the biggest fairs in a few weeks where she would have won top honors, which would have made her calves valuable. Never happened. Some people let their animals get out, and they came over to our place to chase the cows, and one bit off the my heifers tail. At that point she was no longer a prize winning animal, and greatly reduced her value. I got out my .250x.3000 rifle with a scope, and shot all 7 of the dogs involved, the last one when he was about 250 yards away running for home. Then called the police. Those owners were traced through their licenses, and cited for a good sized fine for destruction of farm animals, and for letting them run at large. They also had to pay me the difference between the value before the tail was lost, and what her value dropped to plus for other damage to the herd.

When we had stray dogs on our property, they had ruined my heifers value, and damaged other animals, chickens and ducks. Two got into our yard, and killed over a dozen hens, one rooster and 4 ducks one day. Fortunately I got home in time to catch them doing it and shot them both. Again the owners paid fines, and for the damage to our animals.

Years ago, one of my young sons was visiting a friend a few blocks from home. A couple of dogs got loose, and one bit my son serious enough we had to go to the doctor for a few stitches. I had no idea of who's dog did it. I printed up a flyer offering $10 to find out, and passed out some. Soon some kids came up and told me they knew who owned the dogs. I called the police, and they went to the home along with the dog catcher and impounded both dogs, and told the owners to have their insurance man call us, as they gave the owners tickets for dogs running lose. The judge ordered the destruction of the biting dog as he was a proven hazard to kids in the neighborhood.

Letting dogs get out, is a dangerous thing many times, and a German Shepherd is not a dog to be taken lightly. I know as I used to raise and train fine registered German Shepherds as a hobby. I compliment the cop for doing what his job required, protecting the neighborhood children and other pets.

It might sound terrible to dog lovers that a cop shot a dog running at large. But having seen the damage such dogs do, they all should be shot when owners will not keep them up.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:38 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Because a child is more important than anyone else ? seriously ?

I'd burn his house down if it had been my dog.
A child is more important than a dog, yes. Child>Dog. You would burn a house down over a dog? Sure you would. Keyboard Ninja.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:54 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
Quote:
That article leaves me wondering which dog actually killed the cat.
It may have been the Pitbull, with the Shepherd just investigating the kill after the fact.

Did they ever do a comparison of the bite wounds or bruises in the cat, & the spacing of the teeth in both dogs?

He did not have proof of what killed the cat, so technically had no right to shoot the dog.

The owner of the dog that did kill it might claim that it was the other loose dog, to spare either their own dog. Anyone could make that claim to spare the true killer if they had some bias for it.

Under the circumstances as reported in that article,
he would have done much better to find another way to immediately deal with the *dogs*. . .

Whatever happened to the loose Pitbull, anyway . . . ?

A lot of other questions are left unanswered by that article.

Apparently we will never know the specifics of the various testimonies, because Grand Jury court transcripts are sealed:

"Former Fort Worth deputy chief no-billed in dog shooting"
Former Fort Worth deputy chief no-billed in dog shooting | The Star Telegram

It sounds to me that he was reacting to his &/or his wife's emotions, rather than thinking things through, first. I personally don't see it as premeditated, or something to lose his pension over, though. But, if there is no proof that the Shepherd was indeed the culprit, it would seem that he owes its owners something. A dog that is simply loose & curious does not qualify for the death sentence.

I live where we experience Coyotees & loose dogs regularly. If that were my dog, I'd be very sad, but not sure whether it was my dog or not that killed the cat. You just never know, especially if two or more dogs are together, when they often behave more like their own pack.

There are 2 Golden Labs that often gt loose . . . I bring them in my yard & call their owner . . . but, not until after securing my own dog in a safe place, first! They seem to be insecure, or something, as they act like they'll attack my dog in her own yard, and she's smaller than just one of them.

Dogs can be unpredictable, especially when their owner is nowhere to be seen.

I knew a Shepherd-Collie mix that got loose one night, and lost its collar to the hands of a father whose children's pet rabbit it had just killed. (The dog was caught in the act.) That father didn't seek revenge, but located the owners of the dog, & told them what had happened when returning the collar. (I really respect people who behave that way!)
Not according to dog owners. Their dog never barks, bites, craps, etc. And the owner always claims he keeps the dog on lease, penned up and always picks up his crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events