Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:20 PM

170 posts, read 133,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
To the last couple of posters who quoted me, I did not want to sound naïve as I do understand that some who have the ability to vote do not do so judiciously.

I assume I do more research on candidates than many, but I always hope that is not the case. I am of course automatically eliminating the koolaid drinkers who vote strictly for their particular party, regardless of the candidate.
Instead I was wondering why people who make such an important vote for the leader of our country didn't do more to vet the candidates. It is not as if Obama was a stealth candidate, despite his attempt to vote present to avoid much of a political record. There is plenty of video along with the books I mentioned he wrote to have gotten a better insight into who he is. Now I understand some books could be written strictly for political reasons, such as political cover, as I suspect Hillary's book was. However in Obama's case, he laid out a lot of things people apparently were unaware of.
Furthermore, some of his slip ups, like the conversation about "clinging to God/guns" or "spreading the wealth around" could have also been giveaways.
This is a self serving silly comment. I voted Obama twice and would do it a 3rd time if constitutionally possible. What was my alternative? McCain and Romney? Are you kidding me. Mr. Warmonger and Mr. offshore hidden assets and anti-RomneyObamacare? I would not vote for either of those guys even with what I know now about Obama. I have nothing in common with those 2 guys except we are all Americans. Their advocated policies and beliefs do not mesh with mind. Case close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 03:46 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post
This is a self serving silly comment. I voted Obama twice and would do it a 3rd time if constitutionally possible. What was my alternative? .....
Vote 3rd party. Instead of voting for the lesser evil, choose to avoid it all together.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:42 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Vote 3rd party. Instead of voting for the lesser evil, choose to avoid it all together.
While I can see the logic in this, the problem with this method is that it won't work in the end. We know that the 3rd party doesn't realistically stand a chance. If you vote for the 3rd party and others follow suit, then you are paving way to the possibility of allowing the "greater evil" to take office.

The only way voting for the 3rd party will work is if that said party has a fighting chance to begin with.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Exactly. The reason the 3rd party candidates never have a chance is voters "feel" that they have to vote for the 2 main parties for their vote to count (which are now only one party btw).

Nothing will change (sorry Obama followers) until voters force it to change by NOT electing a R or D. This would give a clear message that we're tired of one party rule (formerly two) where all that happens is the crooks change chairs every 8 years.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM

325 posts, read 486,544 times
I thought low gas prices were evil? You know climate change and all that nonsense?

Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Exactly. The reason the 3rd party candidates never have a chance is voters "feel" that they have to vote for the 2 main parties for their vote to count (which are now only one party btw).

Nothing will change (sorry Obama followers) until voters force it to change by NOT electing a R or D. This would give a clear message that we're tired of one party rule (formerly two) where all that happens is the crooks change chairs every 8 years.
I completely agree, unfortunately the general mentality is to vote for a party and not a person. Every election, I hear the same babble from a lot of people. "It will be a cold day in hell before I ever vote for a democrat". So, they are voting a straight republican ticket no matter who's name is on the ballot. I used the republican as an example, but I've heard the same thing on the democrat side as well.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:35 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I completely agree, unfortunately the general mentality is to vote for a party and not a person. Every election, I hear the same babble from a lot of people. "It will be a cold day in hell before I ever vote for a democrat". So, they are voting a straight republican ticket no matter who's name is on the ballot. I used the republican as an example, but I've heard the same thing on the democrat side as well.
Yes and when the person you want to vote for, that you agree with, is either a democrat or a republican, then you vote for them. I will never understand why people scoff at those who vote their party line. Aren't they doing the same by always voting independent? Yes, they are. The ONLY time I would've voted not democrat is for Nader. And the reason I didn't is because I consider it a throwaway vote. I'm not voting for someone that I know will not be elected. I also consider it giving a vote to the guy that I don't want to get elected.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes and when the person you want to vote for, that you agree with, is either a democrat or a republican, then you vote for them. I will never understand why people scoff at those who vote their party line. Aren't they doing the same by always voting independent? Yes, they are. The ONLY time I would've voted not democrat is for Nader. And the reason I didn't is because I consider it a throwaway vote. I'm not voting for someone that I know will not be elected. I also consider it giving a vote to the guy that I don't want to get elected.
See, I vote for the person I believe will do the best job. If they are democrat, so be it. If they are republican, so be it. If they are independent, so be it. I don't look at their party, I look at what they bring to the table and if I feel that they are the BEST candidate for the position. Too many people vote strictly party lines just because. If they feel that each democrat can do the best job, then more power to them, but I don't feel that is the case most of the time. These people are voting for a republican strictly because they are a republican, not because they feel they are the best candidate.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:34 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
See, I vote for the person I believe will do the best job. If they are democrat, so be it. If they are republican, so be it. If they are independent, so be it. I don't look at their party, I look at what they bring to the table and if I feel that they are the BEST candidate for the position. Too many people vote strictly party lines just because. If they feel that each democrat can do the best job, then more power to them, but I don't feel that is the case most of the time. These people are voting for a republican strictly because they are a republican, not because they feel they are the best candidate.
And while that's fine and dandy, until everyone has this same mindset this will only get you so far. As long as the majority are voting on party lines others will do so as well.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Great. However, why would I vote republican? There is nothing in their "values", platform, party ideology that I agree with. Not one thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events