Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It was irresponsible of Sony to make the movie in the first place. Why throw gasoline on the fire for the sake of a few yuks?

(And I have no doubt that it would have been a bad movie anyway.)
Fro same reason they make fun of a lot of things in movies .Should be restrained by fright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 11:09 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,495 times
I didnt plan on seeing this in theatres anyways but they dont know that. I am calling and writing into Carmike that I they are no longer getting my business since they pulled this movie like cowards. I am gonna attach receipts showing the charges for this. I went maybe 15 times this year, mostly just me and the wife but sometimes with several kids. With the vending I bet I spent more than 400 ..maybe a paltry amount to them but at least they will know that they just lost that.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:47 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,409 times
That's true. I think Hollywood churned out about 150 anti-Nazi films from the early 30s until the end of the war. To the best of my knowledge none of them had the assassination of Hitler as a plot. But I could be wrong, I'm not much of a movie fan, and have only seen a few of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Whoever thought it would ever be a good idea to make a satirical film about assassinating a world leader, regardless of the leader involved.

Yea I get that people should have a sense of humor but to make this film and making the leader an actual person and not fictional, they were asking for it. I don't think many people would find it humorous if another country made film about taking out our leader.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:55 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,516 times
My concern about the movie is that some local whacko will use it as an excuse to pillage and worse. (We haven't had a mass shooting in at least the past 24 hours.) I am not worried about North Korea... just our homegrown nut jobs. Any reason to cause chaos.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:52 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
That's true. I think Hollywood churned out about 150 anti-Nazi films from the early 30s until the end of the war. To the best of my knowledge none of them had the assassination of Hitler as a plot. But I could be wrong, I'm not much of a movie fan, and have only seen a few of them.
I would suspect that had more to do with the Hays Code. There was no regulation of the comic book industry at the time, and I can't even count how many times Hitler got killed by superheroes, secret agents and the like on the comic stands.

I can understand why they would want to make a comedy out of an attempt to assassinate Kim Jong-un, though. He and his deceased dad are about the closest you can get to a real-life cartoon supervillain and the list of ridiculous propaganda that comes out about them is very, very long.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Well, NKorea got in the first punch against the Japanese this round. Not much anyone can do about it.

It should be a valuable lesson to our govt on how easily it can be hacked, especially some really vital targets like the electric infrastructure ...... a lesson that should show the need for hardening our cyberdefenses other than just military ....... but the weaknesses have been known for a long time, with nothing much having been done.

Think about Russia, which has an army of hackers some of whom are much more sophisticated than NKorea, which doesn't even have internet ...... now think of them launching a covert attack, not on the entertainment industry but on financial targets. What if all our bank accounts were looted, or all credit transactions halted? What if a Stuxnet-style virus were unleashed on our infrastructure facilities? Russia isn't just a paper bear considering its nukes and cyber abilities.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:17 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
...... (We haven't had a mass shooting in at least the past 24 hours.).....
Wrong.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:54 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well, NKorea got in the first punch against the Japanese this round. Not much anyone can do about it.

It should be a valuable lesson to our govt on how easily it can be hacked, especially some really vital targets like the electric infrastructure ...... a lesson that should show the need for hardening our cyberdefenses other than just military ....... but the weaknesses have been known for a long time, with nothing much having been done.

Think about Russia, which has an army of hackers some of whom are much more sophisticated than NKorea, which doesn't even have internet ...... now think of them launching a covert attack, not on the entertainment industry but on financial targets. What if all our bank accounts were looted, or all credit transactions halted? What if a Stuxnet-style virus were unleashed on our infrastructure facilities? Russia isn't just a paper bear considering its nukes and cyber abilities.
Coming from someone who writes about internet security topics frequently...

You're way behind. The Russian mob and other cyber criminals launch hack attacks on our banks and other financial targets constantly. Most don't make it in because banks have been dealing with this type of thing for decades. Why do you think hackers have moved to targeting the comparatively less experienced and less secure retail industry?

It's impossible to completely protect a large computer network with many points of entry, but to say nothing much has been done is completely false. And don't read too much about the Sony hack into attacks on government targets. Sony's IT department is apparently staffed by a bunch of idiots.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:01 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
It's impossible to completely protect a large computer network with many points of entry, but to say nothing much has been done is completely false. And don't read too much about the Sony hack into attacks on government targets. Sony's IT department is apparently staffed by a bunch of idiots.
Are they idiots, or are they working for short-sighted profit-margineers?

Which is more likely?

Sony leadership saying to their IT Security, "We need more security...here's a blank check" and IT Security saying "Nah, our security is fine" OR Security saying "We need a bigger budget to bolster security" and Sony leadership saying, "That's too expensive--we aren't facing that much of a threat?"

Old 12-18-2014, 04:04 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,196,312 times
"The Interview" became "a bomb" before it was released.
That's a new record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events