Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:18 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,052,034 times

Advertisements

News reports claim that North Korea's Internet access is suddenly nearly non-existent. I hope we are responsible. This dopey foolish country needs to be beotch-slapped. If we can actually destroy their Internet access, it would be a wonderful thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 02:20 PM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Zapo. Take that North Korea...To much of a coincidence not to be us.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:35 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,001,595 times
The craziness is that even if it isn't us, it would be us. They could sabotage their own internet connection and blame it on us and use this as the reason for future cyber attacks.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:42 PM

20,409 posts, read 14,693,571 times
I first heard this news when one Brian Werner, formerly of the Satanic Temple (the group trying to put up the statue in OKC) posted about it on FB.

(While I don't follow his belief system, whatever it may be this week, I've met him a few times, he's actually a pretty nice dude.)

Anyhoo.

A comment on his post had me in stitches...

"Have they tried resetting their modem?"

Old 12-22-2014, 02:47 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,826,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The craziness is that even if it isn't us, it would be us. They could sabotage their own internet connection and blame it on us and use this as the reason for future cyber attacks.
North Korea is a basket-case of a country that uses crises for a variety of reasons, including extracting concessions from foreign powers (see also: extortion) and distracting its peasantry from the regimes myriad shortcomings - it is hardly so lacking for reasons to lash out that it has to manufacture them.

Note that I am not saying these reasons are justifiable, acceptable or reasonable. But they are logical means to ends.

Kim Jong-un is young and inexperienced, and is still consolidating his power. In part, that power is based on an extreme cult of personality built around not just himself but his lineage. Essentially, his reaction to the film The Interview was one of fear - he was concerned about the damage it might do to his tenuous grip on power. So whatever retribution any other state was ever going to take, including the United States, was never going to be so bad as to dissuade the hack of Sony. That's not a lack of will on anyone's part, it's just the cold hard realpolitik of dealing with a country that holds a sword of Damocles over an ally and one of the 15 largest economies on the planet, and is plausibly unstable enough to let that sword drop should it feel sufficiently threatened.

On the other hand, North Korea does need to be spanked sufficiently hard as to make such moves as the recent hack costly enough that it rarely goes to such lengths. And any retribution serves notice to other powers as to what happens if they try such a thing.

It appears that this is what is playing out right now.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:58 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,147,376 times
Since most of NK citizens don't have Internet access I'm not sure what damage this will do except to make Americans feel better. They were barely on the grid in the first place. Besides, Kim Il Jun still has those binoculars!

(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...9ogqvsoxsr.jpg)

Old 12-22-2014, 03:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Since most of NK citizens don't have Internet access I'm not sure what damage this will do except to make Americans feel better. They were barely on the grid in the first place. Besides, Kim Il Jun still has those binoculars!

(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...ogqvsoxsr.jpg)
bet those are really a pair of the 'ol fake liquor flask binoculars

Old 12-22-2014, 03:29 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,092,980 times
I could see them shutting down their own system if outside hackers were to tear down any barriers to the N Korean people to access anything they want outside their country.

That would be something the NK Government would never abide with.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:05 PM

21,877 posts, read 25,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...9ogqvsoxsr.jpg)
VGA? You've got to be kidding me.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:23 PM

40,955 posts, read 49,234,730 times
They must use Verizon.

Wonder if they have the Little Dictator on hold ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events