Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:26 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Yes this one had some sense..BUT" stealing cars as a profession"??? You are kidding. Right???
We have to get Eleanor!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:40 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
The thief was smart enough to know he could have been in really deep ____ if anything happen to that baby.Too bad the mother was not that smart. Social Services should pay her a visit.
Reminds me of an old Steve Harvey joke about Susan Smith and the false story about two black guys stealing her car and drowning her kids in SC back in the 90s. Harvey is like "the thieves are like; already stole the car so I'll get some time, if I take these kids and keep going I'll get the electric chair."

Old 12-24-2014, 12:41 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Car thieves are stealing cars as a profession not necessary terrible people. This one knows that if he is caught with the baby he will get hit with kidnapping charges which carries stiffer penalties than grand theft auto.
The way the story read this was probably a crime of opportunity committed by an idiot rather than a career criminal.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:46 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Wait ... wait ... she LEFT HER BABY in the unlocked running car ... AND SHE WASN'T CHARGED WITH CHILD ENDANGERMENT?!?!?

I know the story is supposed to be about the bad guy who had a change of heart, but can we really ignore what the mother did?! WOW!
Um, it is in Canada, not the US where the baby would have been collateral damage and dumped somewhere. Believe it or not there are countries out there that it is okay to leave kids unattended and all sorts of things our hyped up fear driven society can't comprehend. Seems everything is okay now. What is for dinner?

Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Um, it is in Canada, not the US where the baby would have been collateral damage and dumped somewhere. Believe it or not there are countries out there that it is okay to leave kids unattended and all sorts of things our hyped up fear driven society can't comprehend. Seems everything is okay now. What is for dinner?
Really? Because leaving this child unattended in CANADA resulted in the car being stolen. So there goes your theory.

Just like the US and many other countries, you don't leave vehicles unattended with the motor running and the doors not locked. And you certainly don't leave a child inside.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:03 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? Because leaving this child unattended in CANADA resulted in the car being stolen. So there goes your theory.

Just like the US and many other countries, you don't leave vehicles unattended with the motor running and the doors not locked. And you certainly don't leave a child inside.
Um, no leaving a vehicle running led to the car being stolen and then returned due to a child inside. Seems the child gets a star for being in there since the mother got the car back along with the little one.

If I told you what parents do in Scandinavia and Nordic countries, you wouldn't even believe it. In the US we are so hyped up and living in fear. Did anything up in Canada happen at the end of it all? Nope! As someone that actually has been all over the world, I can assure you, some countries are living in fear like we do in the US. Sure, now and again something happens, but someone gets struck by lightning sometimes too.

Lets face it, the US is so unsettled right now, it is a mess. Glad there are countries out there enjoying life. Oh and I don't blame Obama for any of it. It has more to do with our media.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:12 PM
gg

I find it funny how people in the US judge other countries like it is the US. Look, the thief returned the car because of the child. People in Canada don't lock their doors in many parts. It just is different up there. The US has areas like that as well, but not in cities. We are all about fear and if ONE thing happens, then we change everything like crazy. 9/11 is a prime example. All we really needed to do is make sure no one can get to the pilot, but now we have a huge new branch of government, people being treated worse than cattle going to the sloughier house and more. All it took was a few nasty people with box cutters and we changed from a free country to a police state. What if the pilot wasn't accessible to the passengers, how would it have played out? Do you think anyone could take a plane with a box cutter now? Hardly, but we still went nuts over it. Some thug that just robbed a store and went for a cop's gun gets shot and the media hypes it up to be something different and people are going nuts over it. The US is really getting odd.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:01 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Perhaps you missed the post from the person who lived in Calgary with an infant, and never left the baby in their car? It's common sense, regardless of whether it's the US or Canada.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:00 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
Quote:
Um, no leaving a vehicle running led to the car being stolen and then returned due to a child inside. Seems the child gets a star for being in there since the mother got the car back along with the little one.

If I told you what parents do in Scandinavia and Nordic countries, you wouldn't even believe it. In the US we are so hyped up and living in fear. Did anything up in Canada happen at the end of it all? Nope! As someone that actually has been all over the world, I can assure you, some countries are living in fear like we do in the US. Sure, now and again something happens, but someone gets struck by lightning sometimes too.

Lets face it, the US is so unsettled right now, it is a mess. Glad there are countries out there enjoying life. Oh and I don't blame Obama for any of it. It has more to do with our media.
Amen. This may be the post of the year.

I'm told that in Japan children by the age of 7 take the subway alone to school. The last time I checked, Japan was a pretty developed and enlightened country. I'm told that in Germany it's not uncommon for 8 year old school children to walk themselves to school.

I think we as the US could learn a thing or two from such places.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:15 PM

417 posts, read 433,165 times
I went by myself to school since age 8...using public transporation of buses...ane went everywhere else using public transporation as a teenager. (not in the US)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events