Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:46 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I know I sound like a cynical Scrooge, but that video looks totally fake and staged. It's amazing how they managed to find perfect locations and camera angles to shoot the man doing his good deeds.
There are always skeptics among us. Could it be staged, of course it could be. Bernie Madoff had no problem getting some very smart people to hand their fortunes over to him, right?

I do not give money to beggers.

However, I'll take that warm fuzzy feeling I get when I help someone who didn't ask for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 03:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
he problem is like welfare and other programs the lazy take away benefits form needy and create mistrust. Give many money and large per cent age will spend on alcohol and g drugs. That is why its not advised for individuals to give money to needy. Then a increasing number are pure fakes.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:11 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Hell, I've given a homeless guy a beer before. He looked like he needed one.
Yeah I have too. It was late summer and like 9 o clock. Went to the corner mart and when I was on my way in he asked me if I could buy him food or gas. He didn't actually ask for money. It was just a corner mart so no real good food or anything but I bought him some chips, slim jims, a water and a beer. He was thankful.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:36 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
This is a really awful attitude to have.

You realize that most of these people are on Medicare and probably do not pay any taxes. Your little $50 "feel good, I don't care what you do with it" gift could lead to thousands of dollars in medical bills.

You're picking the most vulnerable addicts, those that have such severe drug problems that they have let everything else fall by the wayside and saying "here, party up". Poverty is the only thing keeping some of these folks sober.

That's kind of a d*ck move if you ask me.

And possibly on the hands of the medical personnel that have to come pick him up, maybe the dude he assaulted after getting high, the person who died because an ambulance crew was busy dealing with him.

But at least it's not on YOUR hands. That's something to feel good about, right?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:45 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Let me guess, you give handguns to homeless people as well?

Old 12-30-2014, 10:46 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Let me guess, you also give handguns to homeless people as well?
Duh.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Duh.
I guess I can see the logic in that. Who's to say they won't use it to lawfully defend themselves?

Old 12-31-2014, 11:15 AM

687 posts, read 616,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Thanks to organizations like the Salvation Army and the various charities of different Church groups who administer to the needs of those who have troubled times.
GL2
Just wanted to note (thought of doing so in my first post): The Salvation Army was by far the most compassionate organization I encountered. We'd stayed in about 5 different homeless shelters, and Salvation Army was the only one that I felt safe in and had a staff that really cared about helping others, including a full time social worker. It's true there are a lot of people with alcohol and drug problems or mental health issues that are homeless. Salvation Army did a great job making sure everyone was treated with respect and those people received help.

If you have a Salvation Army shelter in your area, I'd recommend supporting them.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:27 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
Most Americans are one disaster(Job loss/Medical emergency) away from homelessness. Many People who have been homeless have said the most shocking thing about it is how quick it happens

Old 12-31-2014, 11:48 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Homelessness is not a social problem, it is a mental attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events