Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:32 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
A very remote possibility, and would depend on how the aircraft went into the water. If the plane was ditched/belly landed in the sea, then some could have survived and made it into the water. But if it went in nose first, probably not. Hitting water is pretty close to hitting concrete. It's also possible the aircraft started to break apart before hitting the water, in which case there would no survivors.
Even if a person did survive the crash and was in the open sea, they would have a short window of time to be rescued.

Yeah, I was just hoping that since it seems the plane appears to be mostly intact (according to one source I read), maybe the impact wasn't enough to kill immediately. Also, I'm hoping that because at least one person had on a life vest, maybe others found a way out of the plane w/ their vests.

I keep thinking about how scary those last few minutes must have been...

Of course I have no idea, but I don't think it broke apart in air. I think the weather or pilot error stalled it...kind of like Air France 447.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 04:44 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
I heard that there was a life vest, but it was not on a body. Is that wrong?

Old 12-31-2014, 05:09 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I heard that there was a life vest, but it was not on a body. Is that wrong?
You're correct. The life vest was found floating by itself in the water. The reports of a body in a life vest are erroneous.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:28 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Yeah, I was just hoping that since it seems the plane appears to be mostly intact (according to one source I read), maybe the impact wasn't enough to kill immediately. Also, I'm hoping that because at least one person had on a life vest, maybe others found a way out of the plane w/ their vests.

I keep thinking about how scary those last few minutes must have been...

Of course I have no idea, but I don't think it broke apart in air. I think the weather or pilot error stalled it...kind of like Air France 447.
That's a possibility, of course. Water ditching's in the open ocean are difficult at best, so even if the pilot had managed a 'controlled' landing, there's a good chance the plane suffered some break up when it hit the water. In that case there still could have been some survivors for a period of time.
No way to tell until they find the wreckage and see how intact it is. They haven't yet found a lot of stuff floating on the surface, and that makes me think the plane may still be mostly intact... or at least the major parts relatively close together on the sea floor.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
AirAsia jet may have made safe landing on sea before sinking, experts says | Fox News

I'm not buying the sea landing thing. Wouldn't they have time to send out an SOS if they made a sea landing? Wouldn't there be a good chance at least someone would survive?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:38 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,027 times
Given the conditions, if they were struggling to control the plane and deal with whatever other issues there were, they would not have had the time. Rough sea conditions would mean that even if they tried to ditch, it would have been a hard landing and the pilots probably were incapacitated as a result. There may have been survivors but how long could they have lasted. Sad thing is, AirAsia was in the process of installing GPS (?) on all its planes, but hadn't got to this one yet - rescuers could have been there within hours, not days...

Old 01-02-2015, 08:57 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
But they are citing as evidence of a sea landing the lack of emergency beacon which would have been activated with a hard impact.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:42 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Tail of missing AirAsia plane discovered in Java Sea

Old 01-07-2015, 09:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
This is moving along so slowly. It's painful to watch just how slow everything is happening in only 100 feet of water.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:26 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is moving along so slowly. It's painful to watch just how slow everything is happening in only 100 feet of water.
Have they had a good weather day yet in two weeks?

They have recovered 40 bodies and identified half but no word on where in the plane they were sitting. Here and there, all from the back, mostly from the front, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events