Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:09 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
They didn't lose it though.
Well depends on what is meant by 'lost' i guess lol... AF wasn't Lost in the sense of MH370 but it was lost in the sense that the aircraft didn't make it to Paris and crashed.. The word lost is used often when an Aircraft crashes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 03:11 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
It would be interesting to see if a similar situation happened where icing caused the pitot tubes to malfunction. Severe turbulence alone wouldn't have been enough to bring the plane down.
If indeed this plane crashed (most likely), I suspect it will be like any other and those series of events.... Those pitot tubes though - tricky things......

Old 12-28-2014, 03:24 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,522,788 times
Aren't you over-reacting a tad? If you look at the number of planes that have crashed or gone missing in comparison to the millions of flights that occur every year, the chances of being involved in one is extremely unlikely. If you think this is bad you should read newspapers from the 50s and 60s when passenger planes were really crashing on a regular basis. Just think of all of the professional sports teams that fly around all over the place year after year and nothing ever happens. Hypothetically if civil aviation ceased completely and people had to resort to traveling by train, boat, bus, and more frequently with car, the number of fatalities would far eclipse that of deaths in plane crashed. As it stands there have probably been more deaths in Peruvian bus crashes this year than in all of these airline tragedies worldwide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Praying for the passengers earnestly. With all the accidents that have happened this year with aviation, I'm thinking of completely forgoing flying in the upcoming year. What on Earth is going on?!

Old 12-28-2014, 03:28 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,522,788 times
Wasn't there a massive solar flare the other day? Of course if there was a relation this wouldn't be an isolated case, but who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If indeed this plane crashed (most likely), I suspect it will be like any other and those series of events.... Those pitot tubes though - tricky things......

Old 12-28-2014, 03:42 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Aren't you over-reacting a tad? If you look at the number of planes that have crashed or gone missing in comparison to the millions of flights that occur every year, the chances of being involved in one is extremely unlikely. If you think this is bad you should read newspapers from the 50s and 60s when passenger planes were really crashing on a regular basis. Just think of all of the professional sports teams that fly around all over the place year after year and nothing ever happens. Hypothetically if civil aviation ceased completely and people had to resort to traveling by train, boat, bus, and more frequently with car, the number of fatalities would far eclipse that of deaths in plane crashed. As it stands there have probably been more deaths in Peruvian bus crashes this year than in all of these airline tragedies worldwide...
I know that car travel is statistically much more dangerous, but there is something terrifying about plane crashes. I'm so sorry for the passengers and their families.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:57 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well depends on what is meant by 'lost' i guess lol... AF wasn't Lost in the sense of MH370 but it was lost in the sense that the aircraft didn't make it to Paris and crashed.. The word lost is used often when an Aircraft crashes...
I understand that. I meant in the sense of MH370. How does that even begin to happen?

Old 12-28-2014, 03:58 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I know that car travel is statistically much more dangerous, but there is something terrifying about plane crashes. I'm so sorry for the passengers and their families.
Ever been in a car crash? Those aren't fun either. The only reason people prefer the car is their sense of control vs. the pilot having control.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:22 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
I understand that. I meant in the sense of MH370. How does that even begin to happen?
Check with the Dharma Initiative on that one.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Ever been in a car crash? Those aren't fun either. The only reason people prefer the car is their sense of control vs. the pilot having control.
Yeah , I think the control thing is definitely a big part of it.

Also , car accidents tend to happen very fast. The idea of experiencing the pure terror knowing that your flight is going down, it just really scares me .

I do travel by air, but I don't enjoy it .

Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I heard that the search has just been suspended for the plane due to nightfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events