Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:12 AM

297 posts, read 358,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Interesting thing to speak to here.

My old man is a veteran and here in Colorado Springs we live in proximity to five (publicly known) active military installations, and at least one that isn't widely known or talked about. I know a lot of soldiers, and a lot of veterans.

For the US military to take up arms against US civilians on US soil is what they call an unlawful order. Most soldiers, except some of the officers (usually the ones whose rank is the only thing respected about them) would not follow such an order, in fact they are sworn not to.
I said basically the same thing like 20 pages ago, sort of.
BUT, the national guard do not have the same rules that the rest of us do. Also, surprisingly, nor do the puddle pirates.

"The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction and was updated in 1981. The purpose of the act (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) is to limit the powers of Federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce the state laws.
The Act does not apply to the National Guard under state authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within its home state or in an adjacent state if invited by that state's governor. The United States Coast Guard, which operates under the Department of Homeland Security, is not covered by the Posse Comitatus Act either, primarily because although the Coast Guard is an armed service, it also has both a maritime law enforcement mission and a federal regulatory agency mission. While the Act does not explicitly mention the naval services (United States Navy and the United States Marine Corps), the Department of the Navy has prescribed regulations that are generally construed to give the Act force with respect to those services as well."

So while I can legally and rightfully refuse a direct order from the president himself to police civvies, my national guard buddies cannot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastnavy View Post
I said basically the same thing like 20 pages ago, sort of.
BUT, the national guard do not have the same rules that the rest of us do. Also, surprisingly, nor do the puddle pirates.

"The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction and was updated in 1981. The purpose of the act (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) is to limit the powers of Federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce the state laws.
The Act does not apply to the National Guard under state authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within its home state or in an adjacent state if invited by that state's governor. The United States Coast Guard, which operates under the Department of Homeland Security, is not covered by the Posse Comitatus Act either, primarily because although the Coast Guard is an armed service, it also has both a maritime law enforcement mission and a federal regulatory agency mission. While the Act does not explicitly mention the naval services (United States Navy and the United States Marine Corps), the Department of the Navy has prescribed regulations that are generally construed to give the Act force with respect to those services as well."

So while I can legally and rightfully refuse a direct order from the president himself to police civvies, my national guard buddies cannot.
Good to know and it makes sense given...history. And all.

I just get a little annoyed with the notion people have that it is moot to own guns in the symbolic interest of protecting oneself against the possibility of a tyrannical government, because Uncle Sam's got tanks and bombs and more guns and all. Because that really isn't the point.

Honestly most of the people I know who feel the need to own guns "for freedom" it really is more of a symbolic gesture and a state of mind than anything. We've all got house payments and jobs and kids to raise and stuff...nobody wants to deal with going up against our government. It can be argued that we've already accepted any number of intrusive and abusive things from the Fed, that perhaps our Founding Fathers would have hoisted rifles in protest over. Why? Because we've got it pretty good, overall, especially in comparison to a lot of places on this planet. We have a lot to lose.

I think that owning the firearms just makes folks feel as though they are "prepared." It's better than nothing. And a lot of people still want being an American to mean something. Something good.

What made me finally accept firearms in my home (properly secured in a safe of course, and not stored loaded) was that my husband and a couple other enthusiast friends, who are all former military and well versed in gun safety, took our teenage sons to the range. My husband and our youngest rarely find common ground as father and son. Their relationship is often awkward at best. But my kid has a gift, he's an excellent shot, and my husband is really proud of him when they go shooting...it's a bonding thing. They don't have enough things to bond over. So I was happy (so long as everyone was SAFE) with this situation.

I firmly believe that having guns in any way defense-ready in your home or on your person, when you have children, is irresponsible as a general concept. As I said to my husband, even if our sons are well trained in safety, you can't guarantee that all of their friends who might come over are. Guns, to us, are a hobby interest. That is all. Not the only potentially dangerous hobby in the world. *shrug*

Old 01-14-2015, 12:03 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Nancy Lanza bonded with her son Adam over shooting.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:38 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Nancy Lanza bonded with her son Adam over shooting.
Yep. And somehow he was able to gain access to her weapons, because they weren't properly secured where he couldn't.

My kids may know a lot about gun safety. That doesn't mean they are ever able to get their hands on one without multiple adults supervising them.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
5 year old kills baby brother with gun found in home

Boy, 5, finds gun, shoots baby brother dead: sheriff - NY Daily News

Old 01-20-2015, 11:10 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

accidental? Oh yeah

I am sure someone will post statistics about auto accidents in a minute

Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Or swimming pools.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:07 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

It doesn't mention if she has lost custody of the children or not. If you have unsecured, loaded guns lying around the house you might want to keep a close eye on the kids.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Why was a woman who lives in Hayden, Idaho of all places carrying around a gun with a round chambered, ready to fire and with the safety disengaged?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:32 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Two year old kills himself with gun in dad's glove compartment

Fla. boy, 2, shoots himself to death with father's gun - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events