Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 05:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes, but it morphed into a thread about safety and regulations, hence the parachute stuff

Now my opinion on gun control. I'm all for strict gun laws. The argument that because more people die in car accidents or other means is not an argument.

Regardless of the method of death, if there is a way to curb those deaths, why shouldn't the US try it?

The crapola about the second amendment was dealt with quite well in the video I posted. It's an AMENDMENT !!

Yes, it's an amendment--right there after the first, and that really ticks off the gun grabbers. And yes, we know it's an amendment, one of a number set forth for a reason by the framers as the Bill of Rights.

Too bad for the gun grabbers, though, because it's not going anywhere. If anything's not a cogent argument, it's one that promotes stripping a constitutional right just "to try it" because it might save lives. Pathetic and inane.

Not gonna happen; wouldn't be prudent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 06:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The Congressional Apportionment Amendment has sat there since 1789, the Titles of Nobility since 1810, the Corwin Amendment since 1861, and the Child Labor Amendment has been pending since 1924.

The ERA failed in 1982 and District of Columbia Voting Rights in 1985.

Not everything that gets proposed, no matter how reasonable in appearance gets passed.

A and B

A: To change the Constitution, it's either of the two methods I listed before.

B: I'm fine with you staying on your side of the border and me on mine and neither of us messing with the others' affairs.

............................and C. As a Texan, I believe I am quite in the right to say this, if in jest.....................

......................................."you ole carpetbagger, you!".
So if I understand you, because it's difficult, and even though it might be a prudent thing to do, you guys shouldn't bother because it might fail.

Hmmm.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So make a law that makes them legal in Canada. If there was not a demand there would not be the importation.

Do those illegal guns go in the hands of law abiding citizens ? If not, you think criminals won't be able to get guns?
Canada is not insane. Why would we follow gun laws that have obviously failed in the US? We have very low gun deaths in this country BECAUSE of our gun laws.

The whole " criminals will get guns " argument is not well thought out. Of course criminals will get guns if they try hard enough...but in Canada it's a heck of lot harder for them to do so HENCE less gun violence.

The more legal guns you have floating around, whether in a Walmart shoppers purse, or in your home, the more guns criminals will steal and have access to.
How many crimes in the US are done with stolen guns?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:17 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:

The whole " criminals will get guns " argument is not well thought out. Of course criminals will get guns if they try hard enough...but in Canada it's a heck of lot harder for them to do so HENCE less gun violence.
For some it's the hardest thing to understand

Old 01-04-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Yes, it's an amendment--right there after the first, and that really ticks off the gun grabbers. And yes, we know it's an amendment, one of a number set forth for a reason by the framers as the Bill of Rights.

Too bad for the gun grabbers, though, because it's not going anywhere. If anything's not a cogent argument, it's one that promotes stripping a constitutional right just "to try it" because it might save lives. Pathetic and inane.

Not gonna happen; wouldn't be prudent.
I know it most likely won't happen, because you are the only country in the civilized world that equates guns with freedom.

Constitutions in other countries change with the times. It's not, nor should it be considered a sacred document. Keeping an amendment that is 200 years out of date is something other places wouldn't do, but then again, I still see people in the US write out cheques in grocery stores.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:19 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
So if I understand you, because it's difficult, and even though it might be a prudent thing to do, you guys shouldn't bother because it might fail.

Hmmm.
No, you do not understand.

Because it is an amendment in the Bill of Rights and we do not willingly give up our rights easily.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:23 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Bingo. Gun lovers have a habit of ignoring the fact that most criminals steal their guns from people who bought them legally in the first place, or from stores intending to sell them legally. They're much easier to come by when you've got virtually millions of them just laying around.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No, you do not understand.

Because it is an amendment in the Bill of Rights and we do not willingly give up our rights easily.
Try thinking outside the box. In the 21st century, when you have an issue with guns, and gun ownership is considered a right ( not a human right like the important stuff ) shouldn't people who are concerned at least try or restrict " the right " even further.

However there is precedence. You guys have given up this right.

"Freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures."

Patriot Act anyone?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:47 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,045 times
Quote:
I know it most likely won't happen, because you are the only country in the civilized world that equates guns with freedom.

Constitutions in other countries change with the times. It's not, nor should it be considered a sacred document. Keeping an amendment that is 200 years out of date is something other places wouldn't do, but then again, I still see people in the US write out cheques in grocery stores.
Ok then. Can you name one other country with the population equal or greater than the USA where the same freedoms are guaranteed for not only citizens but others in that country? Just one county will do. Then, going down the list name one country smaller than the USA that guarantees to same freedoms. Not some of the freedoms, all of them. Now, what do all those countries have in common?

Old 01-04-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Ok then. Can you name one other country with the population equal or greater than the USA where the same freedoms are guaranteed for not only citizens but others in that country? Just one county will do. Then, going down the list name one country smaller than the USA that guarantees to same freedoms. Not some of the freedoms, all of them. Now, what do all those countries have in common?
Not sure what population has to do with it. Also the US is not the starting point of what other countries should consider as rights and freedoms. Guns for one.

What other rights, besides the right to bear arms, do other countries like Canada lack, that the US has?

However picking one that many would agree is important, Freedom of the Press, the US is behind Canada and a few other countries.

Freedom Of The Press Worldwide - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events