Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
It is obvious (sigh) when someone knows nothing about India's culture. Devout Hindus value all life--even going so far as to not step on insects when walking. Devout Hindus are vegetarians, too. They do not kill another living entity for their sustenance. I really wish people would read and educate themselves about other cultures.
Value all life huh?.....A little incongruous then how they just allow the dead bodies of (supposed) loved ones to float or sit out rotting to be picked apart by animals.

I just went through the photos in the link above about the filth in India....I consider myself someone with a very strong stomach who is not affected by gore but the photos shown had even me getting disgusted.....and the fact that people there will bathe, swim and DRINK (!!!!) from the water with the dead rotting corpses of humans and animals floating in it is beyond comprehension. And for those who haven't visited the site linked to (would be best if you didn't on a full stomach!), I'm not talking about some abstract "burial at sea" where the deceased are sent to a watery grave.....the photos are of dead, bloated, rotting corpses floating IN FULL VIEW and close to the riverside where people are bathing, brushing their teeth, drinking.....it is truly horrifying.

Talk all you want about culture, religious beliefs, etc. but to live like that is ABNORMAL to any reasonable, rational thinking person and IMO it is a culture that either needs to change to get with the times or should become extinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 03:57 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
The truth hurts, but when my fellow Americans start getting on their high horse, I remind them of the following:

The U.S. is the only country in the world that has never been invaded by a foreign country.
that is factually incorrect. The British and Canadians invaded American soil during the War of 1812.

And the Japanese certainly bombed the bejezus out of Pearl Harbor.

A few stray passive "fire balloons" made it to Oregon, and a couple of shells were fired at the Pier in Goleta (Santa Barbara). Close enough to "invasion" to me.

American Theater (World War II) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I for one are happy the Japanese are our friends now. War sucks, let's all try really hard not to do that again.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/05/wo...prey.html?_r=0

Quote:
On Sunday, as reporters converged on the village, family members vigorously denied the rape charges. Mr. Chaudhary, the police official in the Gaya district, said Javed’s wife, Rahnuma, said that the Japanese woman slept with her for the length of her visit, while Javed slept in another room. Mr. Chaudhary added that Rahnuma claimed to have given the woman 10,000 rupees, or about $150, for travel expenses when she left.

Another resident of the village, Naresh Manjhi, said he had seen the Japanese woman several times during her stay and was shocked when the two brothers were arrested.

“I find it difficult to believe that Javed would rape a foreign woman,” he said. “We in the village cannot say whether the woman was confined by force or living there by choice.”

Old 01-06-2015, 09:33 AM

258 posts, read 347,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Value all life huh?.....A little incongruous then how they just allow the dead bodies of (supposed) loved ones to float or sit out rotting to be picked apart by animals.

I just went through the photos in the link above about the filth in India....I consider myself someone with a very strong stomach who is not affected by gore but the photos shown had even me getting disgusted.....and the fact that people there will bathe, swim and DRINK (!!!!) from the water with the dead rotting corpses of humans and animals floating in it is beyond comprehension. And for those who haven't visited the site linked to (would be best if you didn't on a full stomach!), I'm not talking about some abstract "burial at sea" where the deceased are sent to a watery grave.....the photos are of dead, bloated, rotting corpses floating IN FULL VIEW and close to the riverside where people are bathing, brushing their teeth, drinking.....it is truly horrifying.

Talk all you want about culture, religious beliefs, etc. but to live like that is ABNORMAL to any reasonable, rational thinking person and IMO it is a culture that either needs to change to get with the times or should become extinct.
There are plenty of documentaries about how animals are farmed and processed on an industrial scale, about how their poop, goop, and pink slime makes its way into sausages, spam, etc. Or if you look at how people live in the massive landfills or in areas where factories dump chemicals - there will be a lot that one's stomach can't handle. There's a dark side, an underbelly, an ugly side - to every society that no one wants to see.

As far as becoming extinct is concerned, India has had 4500 years and is still surviving, maybe limping along in a real bad way, but still surviving. If anything, native American tribes have largely become extinct and they weren't even floating half burnt corpses down rivers, or for any fault of their own. And they were even mistakenly called Indians because a bunch of people wanted desperately to come to India all the way from Europe! For some mysterious reason, they even invaded India despite all these strange and perverted habits of the "natives".

Lastly, you can look at propoganda photos and videos of literally anything - and take away any meaning you want from it. There is also massive amounts of propoganda that is happening in the big country north of India (you know, the country that even the US is now getting concerned about) - and this propoganda is especially targeted towards making any of their neighboring or competing countries look especially bad. This way, they can pat themselves in the back at the progress they have made, and it fuels their sense of superiority and nationalism, and that is exactly what the rulers and the military want. They have to keep their billion people happy, and no better way to keep their people happy than to show how bad other countries are - especially those that are considered for comparison.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:54 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
There are plenty of documentaries about how animals are farmed and processed on an industrial scale, about how their poop, goop, and pink slime makes its way into sausages, spam, etc. Or if you look at how people live in the massive landfills or in areas where factories dump chemicals - there will be a lot that one's stomach can't handle. There's a dark side, an underbelly, an ugly side - to every society that no one wants to see.

As far as becoming extinct is concerned, India has had 4500 years and is still surviving, maybe limping along in a real bad way, but still surviving. If anything, native American tribes have largely become extinct and they weren't even floating half burnt corpses down rivers, or for any fault of their own. And they were even mistakenly called Indians because a bunch of people wanted desperately to come to India all the way from Europe! For some mysterious reason, they even invaded India despite all these strange and perverted habits of the "natives".

Lastly, you can look at propoganda photos and videos of literally anything - and take away any meaning you want from it. There is also massive amounts of propoganda that is happening in the big country north of India (you know, the country that even the US is now getting concerned about) - and this propoganda is especially targeted towards making any of their neighboring or competing countries look especially bad. This way, they can pat themselves in the back at the progress they have made, and it fuels their sense of superiority and nationalism, and that is exactly what the rulers and the military want. They have to keep their billion people happy, and no better way to keep their people happy than to show how bad other countries are - especially those that are considered for comparison.
Exactly. ^^^ Couldn't agree more.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The dead human body (or any body for that matter) is just a shell, luckyram. The life energy, the soul, whatever you want to call it is gone. While I don't personally agree with dumping a human carcass in river to float and putrify, I do sort of get why that dead shell is not considered "life" anymore.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
that is factually incorrect. The British and Canadians invaded American soil during the War of 1812.

And the Japanese certainly bombed the bejezus out of Pearl Harbor.

A few stray passive "fire balloons" made it to Oregon, and a couple of shells were fired at the Pier in Goleta (Santa Barbara). Close enough to "invasion" to me.

American Theater (World War II) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I for one are happy the Japanese are our friends now. War sucks, let's all try really hard not to do that again.
Your attempt to refute the stats I listed before is somewhat laughable. I have to ask. Do you understand the difference between an H-bomb and the bombs used at Pearl Harbor?

Yes, war sucks and no human being group existing today in any country has evolved to the point of not waging war against our fellow human beings. It is truly pathetic. This is specially true for males. I swear men are the least evolved speciman of humankind---and I say this with utter and total seriousness.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
See my previous post on seeing dead bodies in Nepal in the Genghis tributary rivers. To put it in perspective (which doesn't justify the pollution of the river), it's not the intention to dump bodies on the riverbanks.
The intention is to first burn bodies and dump the ashes into the river. If it were simply that, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. However, they have ghats (the concrete emplacements where they burn the bodies) for the rich, and for the poor. I saw all this - biblical stuff, bringing bodies wrapped in sheets and placed on a pyre. Some waiting by the side for the ceremony, like stacks of corded wood. The problem is - burning a body takes time, hours. Those paying their respects don't stick around, and the guys hired to burn the bodies (sometimes children), which are amongst the "untouchable" caste and are not payed well...well, they get impatient. Particularly on the poor side where you don't get the "gold service" levels. After awhile they just dump the half charred body into the water when the relatives leave and the guys doing the burning head off for happy hour or something. Others can't even afford that basic level of service and just go to the river to die. So then bodies initially sink, all is well and good to the eye at first. But after awhile the gasses in the decaying bodies build up and they resurface, float down the river, and sometimes beach along the shore.
The rivers in Delhi where I usually go are so polluted that you don't even have to enter them or bathe in them (but they do) - the gasses emitting from the river are toxic. If you spend any time within the vicinity, you will get seriously sick. The Indians build up somewhat of an immunity, but of course health near these rivers is still a serious issue, lifespans are short.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:35 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
You'd never get that impression from the ones in the USA. It has become common now over there.
And just think about the cases that go unreported. India's 20 year prison sentence is not enough of a deterrent. I know they have tigers roaming around so lets ....
I consider rapists animals and they should treated as such. Just because they can't help themselves is no reason I or someone else should feel sorry for their defect while they take advantage of people.

Last edited by frankrj; 01-06-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 11:52 AM

258 posts, read 347,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Ignorant much?

Are you monitoring the events in India as much as you are the events in the US?

Were the women committing crimes at the time of the "cop violence"?

Funny, I was just in another thread about how our school systems are failing to prepare students to become thinking adults, and then I find the perfect example.
Crime against women in India has always been an issue. More than other countries, less than other countries, compared with islamic or non-islamic countries, that can be debated. But it is a serious issue, yes.

The irony of this issue is that after decades, something snapped when a girl got violently raped and killed. It is similar to the reaction of people in Mexico when a hundred kids got executed.

This happened a couple of years ago, and like in Mexico, there were massive protests and marches. The govt and police did take several measures, or simply put, they would have been thrown out and voted out if they didn't (and yes, India IS a democracy, and a fairly well functioning one). But these are not problems that go away overnight.

In fact, if you look at the law (and yes, it IS strictly enforced when it comes to women related crimes) - "eve teasing" where a guy or a group of men were even harassing or name calling a woman, they get thrown behind bars, no questions asked. Same with domestic violence. All a woman has to say (without proof) is that her husband and/or in-laws are harassing her or beating her. The husband and his parents get thrown behind bars. And it is a non bailable offense by the way. Even besides the police and courts, there are tons of women's organizations that fight for, and provide help.

But the irony I was talking about is that - you are only hearing all this news about rape etc. because Indians made it a massive deal in the country and basically a no-tolerance issue. And now the Indian media reports every single woman related crime because the public sensitivity is very very high. If you don't believe me, think about this - how many of these rape and women issues have you heard even say, 5 years ago? Did you grow up with the impression that India massively mistreated women and women tourists? Like it was a no-go zone for any women??

If not, do you think this problem miraculously got created overnight? Like a billion Indians woke up one morning and collectively decided - hey, let's go rape up some tourists??

We all talk about issues that get reported by the media. And the media largely reports stuff that they think is important to the public. So this has become a big issue in India. You think this is not an issue elsewhere just because it is not as important to the public or media doesn't cover it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events