Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:06 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,665,077 times

Advertisements

I am for paid sick time and I think people shouldn't be allowed to come to work sick. However, I am against paid maternity leave, we have too many people in the world and nobody should be paying anyone to have kids. Having children is a luxury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,168,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
If males were having the babies, nobody would complain about paid maternity leave. It would have been written into the Bill of Rights!
This is so true!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,281,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Having children is a luxury.
I've said this a lot of times in public, to a lot of boos and rolled eyes -- a child is a luxury item.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:43 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,615,454 times
Quote:
I am for paid sick time and I think people shouldn't be allowed to come to work sick. However, I am against paid maternity leave, we have too many people in the world and nobody should be paying anyone to have kids. Having children is a luxury.

Actually we need the birthrate to go up in the US or we need more immigration. With our birthrate below the replacement rate it's certainly a long term negative for the economy

Old 01-16-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Actually we need the birthrate to go up in the US or we need more immigration. With our birthrate below the replacement rate it's certainly a long term negative for the economy
No we don't, that is ridiculous. The planet and our country would be much better off with less people. I don't care if it has a negative effect on our economy for a generation. In the last hundred years the population of the USA has more than tripled and so has the world population. WE DON'T NEED MORE PEOPLE. Not to mention, because of efficiency due to technology there won't be enough jobs to support this many people. It would be good if our birth rate went down to half replacement rate.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
If males were having the babies, nobody would complain about paid maternity leave. It would have been written into the Bill of Rights!
That's complete garbage. Look at the working conditions of the average man in this country compared to the average woman. Tell me who has the safer, cleaner, healthier and more supportive job. People in this world coddle women, they always have. Men are treated as disposable, women are treated as if they need protecting.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
No we don't, that is ridiculous. The planet and our country would be much better off with less people. I don't care if it has a negative effect on our economy for a generation. In the last hundred years the population of the USA has more than tripled and so has the world population. WE DON'T NEED MORE PEOPLE. Not to mention, because of efficiency due to technology there won't be enough jobs to support this many people. It would be good if our birth rate went down to half replacement rate.

Yes we do need either a higher birthrate, immigration or a combination of those two. You clearly don't understand the topic or economics

Old 01-16-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Yes we do need either a higher birthrate, immigration or a combination of those two. You clearly don't understand the topic or economics
You are looking at the issue from a very narrow perspective. Money isn't the only thing that concerns me. If the birthrate lowers the US might not have the highest GDP, I could care less. Less people means, less environmental impact, less destruction of species and higher quality of life. If we use up all our resources and destroy the planet, the economy of the US won't matter. Please explain to me wise one, why we need a higher birthrate or immigration, you just repeated yourself and ignored everything I said. Do you want the US to become like India or China does that sound good to you?

Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
You are looking at the issue from a very narrow perspective. Money isn't the only thing that concerns me. If the birthrate lowers the US might not have the highest GDP, I could care less. Less people means, less environmental impact, less destruction of species and higher quality of life. If we use up all our resources and destroy the planet, the economy of the US won't matter. Please explain to me wise one, why we need a higher birthrate or immigration, you just repeated yourself and ignored everything I said. Do you want the US to become like India or China does that sound good to you?

Don't you worry about using up all of our resources as it won't happen anytime soon. There is tons to educate yourself with on the internet if you simply took the time, well and took your fingers out of your ears and stopped saying lalalalala.

Here is an article that discussing many issues around a falling birthrate

Why a Falling Birth Rate Is a Big Problem - US News

Another one

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...cline/1880231/

The same issue is occurring in Japan on a larger scale

Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,329,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
and paid maternity leave. On the maternity leave, isn't that a choice and a very personal one? Why should anyone else pay someone's time off to have a baby?
You may think that but you might want to read up on the problems experienced by countries such as Japan, Italy, and Russia where the birthrate is so low it's causing the nation as a whole serious problems. Pay a little now or a lot later (when the problems might not merely be financial).

As for paid sick leave, if employers aren't going to pay their employees a living wage (compare pay rates in the 1960s to those now), the least they can do is cover them with their below-grade pay when they are only going to come to work and spread germs around to their co-workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events