Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:18 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times

Advertisements

Link: Prison agency provides details on 10 killed in bus wreck - Houston Chronicle

Prison agency provides details on 10 killed in bus wreck
By Dane Schiller | January 15, 2015 |

Texas prison officials Thursday revealed more about the lives of 10 people who were killed when a prison bus slid off an icy West Texas overpass and collided with a train Wednesday.

The two corrections officers who were killed had all been on the job for at least 18 years. The senior officer, Eligio Garcia had been with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for nearly 23 years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know these were prisoners and were about to serve their time but this was very tragic. There are pictures of the wreckage in the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:32 PM

17,605 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Curious as to who files a lawsuit first.. correction officer family or inmate family?

based on the accident details.. A good case for negligence could be made against the state/DOC. Why was it so important to risk lives to move these people in icy conditions?

What the heck is "labeling unauthorized recordings"? Bootleg recordings or something?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:38 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,855 times
The 8 prisoners were essentially executed here...as they were given no choice to not get on a bus that was going to drive on icy roads. They were herded to their death, lawsuits are going to be flying for sure.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:13 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
The 8 prisoners were essentially executed here...as they were given no choice to not get on a bus that was going to drive on icy roads. They were herded to their death, lawsuits are going to be flying for sure.
Yes, the folks in charge put them on the bus just KNOWING what would happen. Folks in Texas drive in those conditions all the time. It was nothing but a tragic accident.

I wonder what crimes the 8 prisoners committed. If it were against persons, I'm sure those victims were given no choice about what happened to them. And if any of them died, would you call it an execution. I doubt it.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:20 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yes, the folks in charge put them on the bus just KNOWING what would happen. Folks in Texas drive in those conditions all the time. It was nothing but a tragic accident.

I wonder what crimes the 8 prisoners committed. If it were against persons, I'm sure those victims were given no choice about what happened to them. And if any of them died, would you call it an execution. I doubt it.
Go to the link the OP provided, they give a description for each prisoner. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Go to the link the OP provided, they give a description for each prisoner. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Most of them did look to be crimes against people. Only one that I wouldn't classify as such is the guy who was doing time for what appears to be bootlegging recordings. Evading arrest.. I'll buy that one. Others were drugs, assault, etc.

That's totally irrelevant, however. What they were in for doesn't matter. What was the pressing need to move them in these conditions? That's going to be the factor in any lawsuit.

If they had a tornado land on the bus.. You couldn't necessarily see that coming.. It's possible that the icy conditions were unexpected as well.. But..

Old 01-16-2015, 03:01 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Most of them did look to be crimes against people. Only one that I wouldn't classify as such is the guy who was doing time for what appears to be bootlegging recordings. Evading arrest.. I'll buy that one. Others were drugs, assault, etc.

That's totally irrelevant, however. What they were in for doesn't matter. What was the pressing need to move them in these conditions? That's going to be the factor in any lawsuit.

If they had a tornado land on the bus.. You couldn't necessarily see that coming.. It's possible that the icy conditions were unexpected as well.. But..
I did not find any of those convictions to be serious. Drug possession? Come on. Theft? I think the only questionable one was aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. All of those guys were in for minor offenses & they were all in for under 5 years.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
I suggest that they check to see if there was a Dr. Richard Kimball on the prisoner manifest.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:10 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,426,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Curious as to who files a lawsuit first.. correction officer family or inmate family?

based on the accident details.. A good case for negligence could be made against the state/DOC. Why was it so important to risk lives to move these people in icy conditions?

What the heck is "labeling unauthorized recordings"? Bootleg recordings or something?
LOL

I was just thinking this was going to be a big payday for some inmates family.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I did not find any of those convictions to be serious. Drug possession? Come on. Theft? I think the only questionable one was aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. All of those guys were in for minor offenses & they were all in for under 5 years.
Eh.. Serious.. But agreed that it's not rapist and murderer serious.

All of them could have gotten out, made better choices and been productive members of society.

Well.. The first one with all the tattoos.. The guy with the assault against a family member.. He might have had it tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events