Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times

Advertisements

Dale Cregan: The gangland hard man with a £50,000 reward on his head - Crime - UK - The Independent
Dale Cregan arrest: Man suspected of killing two police officers was on bail over fatal pub shooting - Mirror Online
Dale Cregan arrest: Following the deaths of two police officers we ask: Should all our cops be armed? - Mirror Online

[IMG][/IMG]

WPCs Fiona Bone, 32, and Nicola Hughes, 23, were killed in a gun and grenade ambush after attending a "routine incident" in Manchester yesterday morning allegedly by Dale Cregan who was on bail for two other murders. This is a terrible crime but do you think the calls by some people to arm all the UKs police officers is good sense or not?

R.i.p to these two women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
I don't personally think police officers need to be armed any more now than beforehand, though assuming there was enough suspicion to arrest him (especially considering we're talking about two murders and he's supposed to have been extra dangerous) and not discharge him I'm surprised they would release him on bail. I don't really know how these things work but personally I think an attack on a police officer (or military for that matter) deserves a harsher sentence.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
I don't think all police should be armed.
It wouldn't have stopped this incident anyway.
Psychos will always find a way to be psychos

As for this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I think an attack on a police officer (or military for that matter) deserves a harsher sentence.
I disagree. Emergency services/soldiers/whatever are just as human as the rest of us.
Murdering a police officer, or murdering a granny, a child, a father, how can you graduate which is worse ?
A life is a life.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:13 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I don't think all police should be armed.
It wouldn't have stopped this incident anyway.
Psychos will always find a way to be psychos

As for this....

I disagree. Emergency services/soldiers/whatever are just as human as the rest of us.
Murdering a police officer, or murdering a granny, a child, a father, how can you graduate which is worse ?
A life is a life.
My reasoning is that police/military have chosen to do a job which potentially puts themselves in harm's way for the sake of protecting the rest of us - an attack on them given what they represent seems a more anti-social act than attacking a random person. Just my personal opinion anyway.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,463 times
No. The police here tend to shoot first and ask questions later. One nutcase is not reason for a national policy overhaul.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I wouldnt like to be in this madmans shoes now though.... hope he rots.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
I think it is a knee jerk reaction and I don't feel that arming the policeman on the beat is a good idea.

The police forces certainly don't want it and I don't believe your average person on the street does either. Reaction vehicles to deal with incidents where they believe that an offender could be armed (as they do know) is certainly a good idea but I feel that's as far as it should go.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
I understand that point, but it could be argued in return that choosing to do such a job is tantamount to putting yourself in danger.

Like choosing to stand in the middle of a road.

Choice is the key word.
Police choose to be police, soldiers choose to be soldiers.
they know the risks, they know it has potential dangers.

I'm not suggesting that the murder of them is in any way a lesser crime, but I don't think it's a greater crime.

they are no greater or lesser person than those who chose different careers, if they are murdered, they leave behind family and friends, the same as anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
My reasoning is that police/military have chosen to do a job which potentially puts themselves in harm's way for the sake of protecting the rest of us - an attack on them given what they represent seems a more anti-social act than attacking a random person. Just my personal opinion anyway.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:06 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
No. The police here tend to shoot first and ask questions later. One nutcase is not reason for a national policy overhaul.
I agree. More guns in a situation like this wouldn't have helped, and it would have been too late unfortunately because they didn't know what they were getting into. The only way the lives of these two women could have been saved is if they didn't go inside in the first place.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
I agree with everyone above. Arming all police is putting the country on a slippery slope towards changing attitudes regarding firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom