Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,461,147 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone else heard of saw Gov. Hickenlooper's comments about how legalizing Pot was a bad idea. It is difficult to be the first to do anything; however, I strongly encourage you to read the article and add any others you may have read.

Most everyone wants MJ to be legal by prescription for those with the medical need. Given the conflicting agency, state and federal laws, maybe pharmaceutical companies are where it should be grown to be dispensed at a pharmacy like other controlled substances. We've all heard stories about the street corner shops in CA and what most lack.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...dea/ar-AA8vHAC

What do you think after reading Gov. Hickenlooper's comments?

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:43 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,296,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I don't know if anyone else heard of saw Gov. Hickenlooper's comments about how legalizing Pot was a bad idea. It is difficult to be the first to do anything; however, I strongly encourage you to read the article and add any others you may have read.

Most everyone wants MJ to be legal by prescription for those with the medical need. Given the conflicting agency, state and federal laws, maybe pharmaceutical companies are where it should be grown to be dispensed at a pharmacy like other controlled substances. We've all heard stories about the street corner shops in CA and what most lack.

Colorado governor: Legalizing pot was bad idea

MSR
I think if marijuana were made legal federally, a lot of problems would be solved. Or we could ban alcohol because of all the damage it causes.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 PM

50,996 posts, read 36,683,722 times
Quote:

MSR
"Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat who opposed the 2012 decision by voters to make pot legal"

Wow, that's huge news! A politician who was against something from the very beginning is still against it after it passes! That's crazy! Next you'll be telling me John Boehner is still against the Affordable Care Act!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,461,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
"Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat who opposed the 2012 decision by voters to make pot legal"

Wow, that's huge news! A politician who was against something from the very beginning is still against it after it passes! That's crazy! Next you'll be telling me John Boehner is still against the Affordable Care Act!
His administration now has a year of experience dealing with what conflicts on a state and federal level. It was never my impression before he was looking for reasons to prove why his initial position was "correct."

As I initially wrote, it's hard to be the first location to start anything new. Those officials have to resolve the problems.

I do understand your comment about John Boehner. However, the Gov.of Colorado doesn't vote on national policy. I suspect there are others like me who didn't know the Gov.was opposed to passage of the
Pot legalization. The real question is will other Govs. be influenced one way or another?

MSR

Old 01-23-2015, 07:30 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,513,694 times
Colorado Gov. is wrong

Old 01-23-2015, 08:24 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,839,854 times
Legalizing what?

Alcohol?

You know, alcohol - which has factored in the deaths of tens of thousands of Coloradans since Prohibition was repealed?

You know what is fascinating?

What's fascinating is that people can be totally cool with a substance that kills hundreds of Americans every week because it was legal yesterday and last month and last year, but legalize another substance that only kills a fraction of the people and people wet their pants.

That's fascinating. And a testament to the ability of people to slavishly worship the status quo.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:42 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,628,712 times
Many problems Colorado is experiencing right now are due to federal policy. Banks, licensed professionals (CPA, attorneys, etc), etc. have to follow federal guidelines, and dealing directly with pot growers can be a legal issue. If the feds would get down off their high horse and decriminalize pot, things would be a lot easier for Colorado and any other states that legalize it.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,405,848 times
I've lived in Colorado for 4 years. My life as an average citizen has not changed a whit since full legalization. And according to this blog, he doesn't think it's such a bad thing anymore:

Gov. Hickenlooper: Pot legalization is off to a good start, but youth education is still a concern - The Washington Post

Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,427,890 times
I think some of the problem is just like it was when Prohibition was repealed. As soon as booze became legal again, everyone who had abstained while it was illegal got drunk a few times afterward, so that was a problem for a few years.

It pot was legal everywhere, the same could be expected for a few years too, but it would level out soon enough, if the industry was treated just like any other, with regulations on pot's strength, standards of production, and the like, just as the modern liquor industry has today.

Just like liquor, there will be those who never try pot, those who try it a few times, those who partake responsibly, and those who do not. I messed around with it for about 18 months off and on, about 50 years ago, but never liked it enough to want to smoke it frequently, and as time went on, I liked it's effects on me less and less. I'm not singular; I know many other folks who did the same as I did.

I never had any problems whatsoever quitting it, and I've never had a drinking problem at all either. But I do enjoy a drink on increasingly rare occasions, and I won't ever enjoy pot. I'm fine with those who do, and I know a lot of people who have smoked it illegally for all their adult lives who haven't had any addiction to it.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:47 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,953,481 times
Quote:

MSR
Quote:
“If I could've waved a wand the day after the election, I would've reversed the election and said, 'This was a bad idea,’ ” Hickenlooper said Friday on CNBC's “Squawk Box.”
I think Hickenlooper is a pathetic whiner whose soul is up for the highest bidder (like most politicians today). Hickenlooper would run the state like his very own banana republic dictatorship, given half the chance. I'm really angry with him for just tearing up some citizens' fully signed referendrums to put some fracking issues on the Colorado ballet last fall. He claimed the fracking referendrums were a "bad idea,' too - so, poof! The world has not ended in Colorado just because we legalized "recreational" pot. Let's get honest - many of those "medical" marijuana licences went and still go to recreational users. Might as well make the stuff legal so it can be taxed and add money to the state's budget as well as having it better regulated. If the Feds are unhappy about it, they need to step in and do something about it. States are not required to enforce federal laws - that's up to the Federal Agencies involved. And for all the moaning and protests of doom, the Feds haven't done a thing here yet. Nor has Colorado turned into a place where's it's all potheads living in shelters. Our state unemployment is among the lowest in the nation right now. I'm tired of all the drama behind Colorado's legalizing pot. I don't smoke the stuff, and I don't care if someone else smokes it or not - it's not as though Colorado suddenly legalized crack cocaine or something. The rest of the US (and Hickenlooper) needs to get a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events