Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:09 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Yawn... more anti police garbage by a left wing blogger... full of inaccurate or total fabrications .... then story picked up by the op as truth... and matching his agenda...

Get a life already.. want to positively change the world come on down.... opps... criminal background... drug history.. psycho... can't pass a background ...yea... just a wee little problem

Why...do....you....type....like...this? Don't...you....see....how...freaking....annoying.. .it...is?

You're justifying the shooting of a 95-year-old vet who served his country and helped protect you and your parents and grandparents, you ungrateful little piece of work. If it weren't for him and people like him, you would be speaking German right now. Have some respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:01 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Exactly.

And..um....to my anonymous admirer: the OP did not title the thread correctly. The cop wasn't even charged with murder. In addition, a law dictionary might be helpful.

*Sigh*
We get a few cowards around here that are so chicken sh*t that despite using an anonymous screen name, they feel the need for an extra layer of coward protection by leaving anon nasty comments.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
I'm torn about the entire thing since I wasn't there and I don't know the extent of the threat with the knife.

I would have hoped they could have talked him down but I've seen people with alzheimers and dementia where that's just not possible.

With that said, I hope that the officer in question leaves the profession adn charging him was IMO the correct course of action.

Everyone wants to armchair though. You leave the guy with his knife? You try to restrain him and he has a heart attack despite being fairly gentle about it? The guy is 95, you do much of anything to him and it's quite likely fatal.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:49 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
At least he got to go out like a true gangster. Maybe it was his plan all along.
Right? Much better then slowly losing your mind and becoming bed ridden, etc. Gets to go out in a blaze of glory like all of his friends in WW2 who never made it home.

If I made it to 95 I wouldn't mind going this way.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:10 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
I can't figure out if people are appalled by or indifferent to this story.

Taser? Bean bags...5 in a matter of seconds? Killing a 95 year old guy in a retirement residence because he is holding a fillet knife?
Back off fellers....he's a dangerous one!

Why call the cops? That should be clear by now...the police are the first wave of fascism; they are to beat us into submission. There are too many cases of them in action to discount it. How about the guy the cops killed in NYC who was merely selling cigarettes? I can't wait to see fully armed soldiers in uniform clinging to an MWRAP descending upon neighborhoods just to serve subpoenas or eviction notices. Plenty of those will end with the cops killing someone for some invented reason. Some guy washing his car turns to see cops approaching while hosing down his car. A cop mistakes the spray nozzle for a gun, shoots him dead and then shoots his dog for barking. Sound incredible?

1984 is here.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
The elderly war hero was agitated, which is not uncommon among elders living in senior facilities, but after police arrived they refused to allow Pathway Senior Living's personnel from trying to talk to Mr. Wrana, who even required assistance to walk.
It was noted that the staff had been trying all day to calm him down and he was still agitated.

Isn't a filet knife sharp? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not putting myself in the way of getting sliced with that, and I don't care if the guy is 25 or 95.

And he's lucky he was hit with a bean bag. Being shot from the same distance with a weapon would have been instantly fatal. The bean bag might not have been if the guy had consented to going to a hospital. He would also have been given his medications which would have helped his agitation. Everybody complains because they were injured by a bean bag or a taser, but the point is, if they hadn't been hit with either of those, they wouldn't be alive to complain.

I have a friend who worked in a bank that was robbed and she said all you could see was the end of that gun and it seemed to be as big as the palm of your hand. If I were in that room and saw that knife coming at me in the hand of someone who looked like they were intent on using it, I'm not going to look away or look down to concentrate on hitting the guy in the leg.

The job of a police officer is to come home safe at night. Most of them take far more risks intheir jobs than most people have to. How many people here have to actually go to work and worry about being killed every day?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:20 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,930,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
From the article:

So, the old duffer clutched a filet knife. A problem, certainly. But, a minor one, given that... the guy was ninety-freakin'-five years old!

And, yes, it's really confusing - shoehorn... machete...

Nothing more needs to be said.

But I have no doubt the authority leg-humpers will be along shortly to run interference for this miscreant of an LEO.
But it is justified, the officer is black and he was simply getting even.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:24 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,221,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The job of a police officer is to come home safe at night. Most of them take far more risks intheir jobs than most people have to. How many people here have to actually go to work and worry about being killed every day?
The job of a police officer is to protect and serve the public who employ them. Then comes law enforcement, all though, it's treated in reverse these days.

They take the risks that come with the job, it's what they signed up for.

Technically, anyone can get killed everyday. You can get killed crossing the street. Police know what the risks are when the sign up for the job, it's not rocket science.

It's funny, well, scary, how many stories come out where the cops are the ones doing the killing when they are the ones being called in to help.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,295,630 times
He was found not guilty. He faced the justice system and a crime could NOT be proven!!!! Sorry to you left wing nuts that we have a democratic society and we just don't convict people for the hell of it!!!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:54 PM

172 posts, read 239,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Get a life already.. want to positively change the world come on down.... opps... criminal background... drug history.. psycho... can't pass a background ...yea... just a wee little problem
I work in a field I guarantee you could not enter for want of requisite intellectual ability.
Conversely, I could enter your field right now (Or Maybe Not) and probably could have passed all requirements when I was 12.

I have a great deal of respect for good officers but the civil servant prima-donna attitude is beyond repugnant. You went to some community college and became a cop. You were not turning down a Rhodes fellowship in doing so. 8 times in 10, while the narrative is 'service', the actual motivations for taking on that work are something else entirely.

Get over yourself. Present day cop culture, martial worship, authoritarianism all richly deserves the sharpest possible criticism.
The idea that it is somehow immune from criticism because that's who people call in the event of an emergency is only slightly less embarrassingly fallacious as the idea that people who point out current problems "couldn't become cops".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events