Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
It has much less to do with "black ops" than it does dumb-as-rocks anti-vaxxers who seem to think Jenny McCarthy knows more about medicine than someone who has actually attended medical school.

FWIW, many students and peers of Queen's University professor Melody Torcolacci are calling for her ouster, claiming she is just another tin-foil hat wearing nutjob who shouldn't be standing in front of a classroom spouting paranoid nonsense. As such, she isn't exactly the glowing example of oppression she is making herself out to be.
https://storify.com/iDuchaine/anti-v...s-universities

Old 02-10-2015, 08:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So anybody who talks about vaccines in any other light but fantastic is going to lose their job?
Wow
http://www.thewhig.com/2015/02/06/qu...ation-lectures

I had no idea it was getting this bad, I did hear people are ousting Jenny out of her jobs as well but I didn't realize it was going to start being anyone who doesn't agree with vaccine safety. Pretty soon, they will all be silenced, sounds like a movie I've seen. Doesn't anything seem odd about that?

I guess that's one way to make sure everyone gets their vaccines, fire anyone who has questions about them.
I'm outta here lol, I guess I'll stop with my questions. No seriously, seems like a little much to me.

So people don't want anti vaxers going to their doctors, but where will they go if they fire all the anti vax docs?http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlip...heir-licenses/

Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 PM

Debunking vaccine junk science won't change people's minds. Here's what will. - Vox
I agree with this, it shouldn't become political warfare, it could backfire. I don't think people should be losing their jobs either, that seems like it would draw only supporters of those fired.

I've said this many times, I think being heavy handed risks making things worse not better. The more I hear on it the more I wonder what the fuss is. I use to just think of it as routine care, now it's big news for both sides. I don't think that's a good thing, I really don't.

Good solid information, matter of fact routine vaccines. That's what will work best, as well as doctors calming parents fears by first understanding them, not picking sides. This is a good article.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:20 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
So anybody who talks about vaccines in any other light but fantastic is going to lose their job?
Wow
Student defends prof's anti-vaccination lectures | The Kingston Whig-Standard
From a comment in your link:

"Summary of the student's argument: 'Sure she's teaching lies, but it's an easy course. So all is forgiven.' "

Quote:
I had no idea it was getting this bad, I did hear people are ousting Jenny out of her jobs as well but I didn't realize it was going to start being anyone who doesn't agree with vaccine safety. Pretty soon, they will all be silenced, sounds like a movie I've seen. Doesn't anything seem odd about that?

I guess that's one way to make sure everyone gets their vaccines, fire anyone who has questions about them.
She has no questions. She is just regurgitating all the anti-vax nonsense. She's teaching that watching too much TV causes autism, too.

Quote:
So people don't want anti vaxers going to their doctors, but where will they go if they fire all the anti vax docs?Anti-Vaccine Doctors Should Lose Their Licenses - Forbes
If a doctor were to treat everyone in his practice by bleeding him, should he be allowed to do so?

Perhaps any doctor who does nor "believe" in vaccines should at a minimum have to re-take medical school courses on infectious disease and immunology.

If "Dr. Bob" Sears (who had a patient that started a measles outbreak) believes his alternative vaccine schedule is fine and dandy, why does he not use that schedule for everyone and why does he have any unvaccinated patients? Surely he should be able to sell his alternative schedule to all his patients.

All he does is pander to the (unjustified) fear of vaccines whipped up by the anti-vax crowd.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S.
Last I heard 102+ cases in the USA and 7 in Canada.
Who did you hear this from???

CDC????? Unreliable BS made to set off an agenda -- WHO KNOWS IF IT REALLY HAS RISEN OR NOT!!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Who did you hear this from???

CDC????? Unreliable BS made to set off an agenda -- WHO KNOWS IF IT REALLY HAS RISEN OR NOT!!
My God, all you have to do is Google! This isn't the kind of thing someone sends you in a chain letter or something!

The number as of yesterday was 121.
US Measles Count Rises to 121; Most Linked to Disneyland - ABC News
Measles is a disease that health officials take very seriously, even if the pro-disease (my new term for anti-vax) do not. Each case gets reported and investigated. Health care providers know they have to report this stuff.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:40 AM

986 posts, read 2,508,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Last I heard 102+ cases in the USA and 7 in Canada. So far the relationship between the 7 in Canada is unclear, other than 6 being in Toronto and the other being someone who had recently been in Toronto several times. It looks as though governments are going to crack down on people who refuse vaccinations on religious and personal liberty grounds. In the last few days people who have opposed vaccinations claiming they cause serious health problems in some cases have been being stridently attacked. One example is Queen's University (Canada) professor Melody Torcolacci. So what's going on here? Is the outbreak a "natural" event, a bio-terror attack, or a black op? First we have an unprecedented ebola outbreak, then a complete fubar with the flu vaccine, now a rapidly worsening measels outbreak all within the last six months.
I'd like to see a crackdown on global warming deniers, if they're going after vaccine deniers. The former is a much bigger deal in the long run.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:52 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You refuse to take full responsibility for protecting your child yet you expect strangers to make sacrifices for you.
Oh that's rich. If there's anyone refusing to take full responsibility for protecting their children and expecting strangers to make sacrifices for them, it's the anti-vaxxers.

"So what if the effects of getting a real disease are way worse than getting vaccinated and have much higher chances of actually happening? You should get your kids vaccinated so mine don't have to. I don't care if infants and immunosuppressed people who would take a vaccine if they could die or suffer lifelong disabilty from a preventable virus they caught from my unvaccinated kid. The nonexistent chance my child might suffer some debunked side effect I read about on a quack's web site is way more important. BECAUSE ME AND MY KIDS ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO COUNT SO SCREW EVERYONE ELSE, AMIRITE?"

Old 02-11-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From a comment in your link:

"Summary of the student's argument: 'Sure she's teaching lies, but it's an easy course. So all is forgiven.' "

She's teaching a class, that involves bothsides so that people think, she isn't a doctor but a teacher. She's using the debate to make her class think outside the box. She gets her own kids vaccinated. But, now she's getting hunted because outside of the box is unacceptable in this climate. I think it's going to far. It's just a class and she's not teaching that it's true, just that it's thought to be true by someone else. Lot's of professors teach out of the box thinking, some have UFO classes, government conspiracy classes, don't take the class if you don't like it. You have the freedom to not take the class. This is a small, small amount of people compared to a large amount of people, why fire them?

She has no questions. She is just regurgitating all the anti-vax nonsense. She's teaching that watching too much TV causes autism, too.
She is showing all conspiracy in medicine, that's what that one class is about.

The nurse that comes to check on my homebound mom doesn't vaccinate from the flu, and openly says so. She was sent by the regular western hospital to help my mother. Should she be fired?

If a doctor were to treat everyone in his practice by bleeding him, should he be allowed to do so?

Well yes if you have too much iron in your blood I hope you can find someone who does that because it helps. Western medicine uses it for iron overload.
What do you think accupunture is? Or cupping? Bloodletting is the concept of blood, life force and astrology, same thing as acupuncture and other Asian medicine. It is still practiced in Asia, and here it's practice with accupunture and cupping to draw up blood using needles and suction for the same purpose and is the same concept. Are people going to start firing anyone who practices Chinese medicine? Chiropracters? Is nobody allowed to do anything that doesn't agree with Western science now?
I'm Korean, and this is widely practiced there today, Dr.Makise Supplement Clinic|phlebotomy|
Should it not be allowed? It's not quackery in my home country, it's a valid choice. It's rate of success is the same as Western medicine.

Perhaps any doctor who does nor "believe" in vaccines should at a minimum have to re-take medical school courses on infectious disease and immunology.
So any doctor who doesn't believe has to be re trained? As if they didn't get it? Maybe they just disagree. All doctors have to believe the science on vaccines or they cannot work?

If "Dr. Bob" Sears (who had a patient that started a measles outbreak) believes his alternative vaccine schedule is fine and dandy, why does he not use that schedule for everyone and why does he have any unvaccinated patients? Surely he should be able to sell his alternative schedule to all his patients.

All he does is pander to the (unjustified) fear of vaccines whipped up by the anti-vax crowd.
Your concern surely isn't about spread of illness or health. Western doctors have large waiting rooms full of sick people spreading illness all the time, hospitals spread bacterial infections that are killing way more people than Measles has in 20 years. Western doctors kill people with bad advice, the wrong medicine, overlooking conditions, the facts are I could go on and on for hours on the amount of preventable death and injury our medical system and the science behind it kills or harms yearly in this country and others. You can't use that as an argument because it will fail in a big way and people will see through it. Good science kills all the time. That argument fails.

But, you want anyone fired because they don't practice the CDC recommended vaccine route? Then this isn't about safety, or keeping people well or preventing the spread of disease. It's about conforming.

It's just a witch hunt on the latest hot topic. I'm afraid it's going to backfire. We should just stick to what works for the majority and stop making vaccines a debate. Most people would just not choose those few doctors if given the choice, take that choice away and you are going to have a larger problem on your hands. I don't like the approach, and I think it's a bad way to go.

If we didn't have so many harmed by our medical practices they wouldn't be looking at alternatives. I think what would help most is to clean up our own backyard. Then we'd gain the trust, not just get rid of all who don't believe like the majority do. That never works.

Naw, I don't like the new approach at all. I think it's more harmful then letting a few go. Nothing about our vaccine rate warrants this, being afraid that more won't vaccinate in the future doesn't warrant this, so far we have a growing vaccination rate without it.

Sorry, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think we will ever see eye to eye on it. But, I don't think I should be silenced because we disagree either. I think people should be informed about the science on vaccines, and given a choice. Not fired if they don't chose what people like you think is the best choice.

Anybody can harm you, that's not a valid argument or we would have to fire the entire medical system and all the scientists. Just doesn't fly with me. Sorry.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-11-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I'd like to see a crackdown on global warming deniers, if they're going after vaccine deniers. The former is a much bigger deal in the long run.
That's the thing, there are so many issues that take front seat to this when it's a matter of believing the science. I'm not religious but I believe in the choice to be, even though the science isn't behind it. I care deeply about addressing global warming and I think there is good science behind it, but we know how divided that is. And, if that doesn't effect us all I don't know what does.
It comes down to realizing the science behind anything doesn't hold water. If we got rid of everything science couldn't prove, think of what our world would look like. For one, our president wouldn't be saying "God Bless America" or he'd be fired.
We can try and persuade based on science, but you just can't force people to do what you think they should. Some people don't trust science. I've experienced this first hand on the religious thread. People want to pick and chose what they use the science for and that's so far, their right to do so. I don't think we should rock the boat in that regard, so many things would change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events