Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no, let them kill all they want over there. let somebody else be the world police , let jordan do it
Agree!

( Btw, just looked up what on earth was Grand Isle? in the Phillipine's? Looks amazing!
(LA, for those that don't have an idea, either.)
General Beauregard was an ancestor, btw..I see he has an Isle named after him, too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 01:01 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
"The only losers in this strategy are the American companies that make the equipment that Jordan would pay for, if we prohibited the companies from selling to them."

They are the big winners. We're bombing equipment we sold Iraq and we're selling them 160 Abrams tanks along with other hardware. If you watch the air attack videos, some of them seem to be merely bombing empty armored personnel carriers since they're clearly not moving and the one that's moving is not being targeted.

The Sunnis in the Iraq army didn't retreat. They stood down for Islamic State because it was led by members of Saddam's military.

How Saddam’s Former Soldiers Are Fueling the Rise of ISIS | The Rise of ISIS | FRONTLINE | PBS

The insurgency was welcomed with open arms because the Sunnis were looking for protection from the government's death squads.

Revealed: Pentagon's link to Iraqi torture centres | World news | The Guardian

Old 02-07-2015, 02:59 PM

357 posts, read 443,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Obama compares ISIS thugs who burned a poor guy alive and brutally cut off peoples heads to Christians at the National Day of Prayer Breakfast.
No, he didn't. His comments were much more nuanced.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, what you are saying is with the largest defense budget in the world, 40 USAF fighter squadrons, 20 aircraft carriers (including the LHDs), billions of dollars spent on Iraq's defense forces, let alone our ground forces, etc; the US does not have the capability to defeat the ISIS?
What I am saying is we have been draw awing down military for years without replacing it. Defense spending as been around 4% for some time and the military has been asked repeated to do missions after mission. One must remember that gulf War came after a buildup by Reagan administration. Perhaps read the testimony yourself; it was on C-Span just the other night. One must remember defense budget is not involved in either rebuilding or war funding. We cut it after Vietnam and then cut it again under Clintons peace dividend. remember UK and France where unable to do the strikes in Syria without our help ;so that says a lot. They don't even spend the require NATO 2%.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What I am saying is we have been draw awing down military for years without replacing it.
Yes, that is what a draw down is, purposely not replacing it. Why would the US need to maintain such a huge military? Do you realize how much money that costs? And why would such a large military be needed against some entity like the ISIS?

Again; are you saying the US does not currently have the capability to defeat the ISIS?

Quote:
Defense spending as been around 4% for some time and the military has been asked repeated to do missions after mission. One must remember that gulf War came after a buildup by Reagan administration.
Yea, missions are what the purpose of the military is for. I know the military for a while got comfortable in their WW2, Col War confrontation mentality, which took an effort to get over and still trying to get over, but the need for even a larger military than what the US has now is ridiculous. If the US cannot conduct an operation against the ISIS with the assets we have now, we have much bigger problems.

Quote:
Perhaps read the testimony yourself; it was on C-Span just the other night. One must remember defense budget is not involved in either rebuilding or war funding. We cut it after Vietnam and then cut it again under Clintons peace dividend.
The DOD establishment and its supporters are almost programmed to think there is always a need for more funding. These people will find every reason in the world to justify funding, and scream and cry if even one penny gets cut from any program. It is because of this in which it is very difficult to cut the DOD budget, across the board cuts actually have to be done (hence the sequestration).

Quote:
remember UK and France where unable to do the strikes in Syria without our help ;so that says a lot. They don't even spend the require NATO 2%.
NATO was unable to enforce the no fly zone over Libya without US assistance because they lacked the means to do so, I am sure states like Russia were laughing over that one. France needed US aircraft transport support for operations in Mali because they did not have the means.

My opinion is the US military establishment has too many hands in too many pots. Regarding your post, you are implying that the US military needs to be even bigger to take on an entity like the ISIS, which is something I disagree with. If the US cannot get it done with what it has now (come on, 20 aircraft carriers), then there are much bigger issues.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:15 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
I think we need to bring every American home, get every single American out of the Middle East. Then secure our borders.

Let the Middle East take care of their own problems. We have lost enough lives and have maimed military young men and women living nightmares now.

It breaks my heart to visit Dorn VA Medical Center and see the large number of young people, their whole lives ahead of them in wheel chairs and missing limbs.

When is enough enough?

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 02-07-2015 at 10:27 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 12:45 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
The Middle East and Muslims need to have their civil war. We keep hearing from the left that most Muslims aren't extremists and that they don't support terrorist groups like ISIS so we need to let them sort out the problem. The more the West gets involved the more extremists take up arms.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:02 AM

66 posts, read 73,301 times
Of course we should! While our president seat calm in white house - ISIS jihadists punish innocent people! And only we can stop them! With such spendings on military structure we can beat 'em all and destroy this awful conflict!

Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
Of course we should! While our president seat calm in white house - ISIS jihadists punish innocent people! And only we can stop them! With such spendings on military structure we can beat 'em all and destroy this awful conflict!
Fly there and join the anti ISIS forces yourself. Nobody will stop you, I guarantee it. Why ask someone to fight on your behalf if you are not willing to fight yourself?

I'm not willing to fight this fight because there is no way to win. So I'm not going to ask anyone else to do it for me.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:24 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
With all wounded warriors coming back from Iraq/Afghanistan, our focus should be solely on them Not ISIS.
ISIS has pissed off enough people in the world, including some of their fellow jihadist, that their Days are numbered.
Their days on Earth, or their days in paradise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events