Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:17 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,809,872 times

Advertisements

I guess it could have been a mistake. But the two animals move differently. I don't think they exactly alike either.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that it was "the first wolf" to enter the park. First collared. First seen by a tourist. Maybe.

There are still people who think wolves were extinct in the northern states before the introduction of the non-native species. As someone pointed out: Top predators balance out. Wolves did. Just was money to be made and not enough for tourists to stumble across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 09:45 PM

35,476 posts, read 17,383,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yeah right... It's just sooo lovely what that has done to the Elk and Deer herds in MT where the poor little wolves were reintroduced and EXPLODED in population and kill just to kill.
I fully support the 3 SSS's.
What were the elk doing to the forest?

Old 09-09-2015, 09:59 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,362,393 times
I mean who could mistake a 44lbs animal (male cyote) with one that weighs 85lbs (grey wolf female)

Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,987,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I mean who could mistake a 44lbs animal (male cyote) with one that weighs 85lbs (grey wolf female)
People mistake German Shepherds for wolves......when my shepherd went missing, many told me he may have been mistaken for a black wolf.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,120,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This post and a previous one of yours sum up my feeling on the topic exactly!

Back in the early 60's of hunting throughout the pacific northwest and northern Ontario wilds with a sporterized Lee Enfield .303 with flip up adjustable "peep" sight. It was incumbent upon me to certify that large haunch of brown visible over the top of brush was either a brown, a black, a grizzly or the rear half of a Moose, then to ascertain at the time if it was a female with offspring in tow.

With iron sights that usually mean't a LOT of very patient time taken to get close enough to see, hear, and even smell for confirmation clues.

No hunter I ever hunted with, or even knew back then, would have shot on the mere surmising of it being a certain species. When I could finally afford a Remington 700 .308 and a Weaver scope I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I found mistakes were still easy to make but usually due to the greater range I was shooting from led to more chase downs after not getting a kill shot. NEVER made a mistake of species with a scope.

Coyotes with their "predominantly" spindlier legs, sharper jaw features, slenderer body proportions and along with yellower fur tint aren't impossible to differentiate if time is taken. Sure there are aberrations due to cross breeding with any number of large canine species but I'm not buying this whole shoot first and discern later because coyotes represent a particular nuisance. That's the very definition of breaking the cardinal rule.

The first rule of hunting has always been; make certain what you shoot at is what you're hunting.

Hunting used to be defined as a "sport" due to the effort and patience required of pitting your knowledge of the prey and the environment to get close enough to the animal in spite of it's far superior senses.
To add to this, the wolves and coyotes I've seen are certainly different. Kind of like comparing a Min-Pin to a full size Doberman. Not so much disparity but that different in bulk/size
Wolves are usually beefy and strong looking while coyotes look like the poor scrawny (dog) cousin who never gets enough to eat and slinks around looking to steal from others. That's about the best way I can explain the difference in looking at 'em.
I've had friends who had wolves as pets and you certainly KNOW it when you see it.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:41 AM

50,615 posts, read 47,460,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Well, lets see. I came across a dead horse that had on an orange vest one year. Another year some moron was dressing out a really big mt Buck during Elk season.

Think about the people you see on a daily basis with the stupid stuff they do and then dress them up in orange and give them a hunting rifle.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,733,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, lets see. I came across a dead horse that had on an orange vest one year. Another year some moron was dressing out a really big mt Buck during Elk season.

Think about the people you see on a daily basis with the stupid stuff they do and then dress them up in orange and give them a hunting rifle.
Heard a story of someone who went bear hunting in the Berkshires and shot a cow instead.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:35 AM

50,615 posts, read 47,460,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Heard a story of someone who went bear hunting in the Berkshires and shot a cow instead.
Did they tag it?

Old 09-10-2015, 10:41 AM

5,807 posts, read 5,150,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
A wolf dies. What are we going to do about it?
Again. What exactly is so entertaining about hunting an animal for fun? Are coyotes good to eat? What's up with this blood lust to shoot an animal if it isn't for food? To make up for some physical inadequacies in some men? I can't imagine any other reason.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM

5,807 posts, read 5,150,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Yes, those who hunt, aside from some physical inadequacies, also seem to demonstrate certain lack if intellectual firepower. Maybe that is what's inadequate about these blood lust hunters....

They seem short on both account....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events