Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:56 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Your post sounded pretty racist. Saying Hispanics are too busy overtaking whites by going to college more than them. Why do you even bring race into this? And white people as your target? Sounds like you think of nothing but racing against whites to go to college more than them, like going to college is some kind of race and you have to beat out the other races by doing it more and better than them....
The reason for the reference to white people is that, as the majority population and the majority culture in the US, it is the standard to be measured against for education and socio-economic success in the US. But at least I know the difference between a race and an ethnicity....

Quote:
Nobody else in the thread said anything about a racist view of Hispanics as uneducated lawbreakers. That's all your m.o.
Have you read this forum?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 01:12 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Try having the day to day experience of being Hispanic.
"Most" people assume that if you are Hispanic you are here illegally and do not speak English. I have been asked so many times if I came to the US legally. And well I tell people, "no", guess what they assume that means?
The vast majority of Hispanics are native born US citizens who never learned Spanish. We never had to come to the US in the first place. On top of that, Mexican immigrants have the highest rates of assimilation of any of the large non-English immigrant groups in US history, whether you look at language isolation, intermarriage, small business diversity, or any of the other standard measures of assimilation.

Ok fine your American born and raised, the vast majority of Americans do not have it in for fellow Americans, and you know I am right, we do have a problem with the "illegals" who are in fact criminals, and who get away with murder or murders in most cases because they skip, leaving the victim with no justice, they come here to get on the doles and I have a problem with my hard earned taxpaying money going out to these criminals.

We have a problem with the LAZY tongue , all our grandparents came to this country the right way and learned the language, the culture and the ways of a new and free nation, it can't be that hard for these people to learn our language. Too lazy me thinks.

What the illegal criminal fails to realize is that we are a country built on law and order to be respected and followed by everyone, failure to obey our laws and then think it's their god given right is plain wrong. Not to mention it's Homeland (DHS) Security issue as well

I have "All the respect in the world" for immigrants (Mexican or otherwise) who came here the right way, I have "no respect" for illegal criminals. There it is.

thank you
Knight

Old 02-20-2015, 01:14 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
FWIW - Cops have killed about 140 people so far this year. Half of them were white. The next biggest group is black, then latino. When you look at the demographics for people under 40 it's not that far off. I haven't fully sorted the data yet but most of them were armed with a knife or gun. An alarming number of them were actively shooting at the police. In the end though I'm far less interested in the number of people killed by cops as opposed to the number of people shot by cops - because try as they might they don't kill everyone they shoot.

Anyway, the scenario where cops take someone out who flashed a set of car keys or wallet is rare and while the % of black men shot relative to their proportion of the population is pretty high there are actually more white people who get killed in this type of scenario but you'd never know it because it never grabs national headlines.

When official data starts coming out on this topic in the next 2-3 years and it doesn't match the hyperbole coming from the Ferguson movement those folks are going to insist there is a conspiracy but the press and public will quickly lose interest, the movement will lose steam and it will be back to business as usual.

That's a shame because there is so much to be gained by having a more accountable, more professional police service - for the cops and the public but a movement that insists on sensationalism and hyperbole is doomed to failure.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:36 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,075 times
The moral of the story? Don't throw rocks at armed police, but if you must, surrender afterwards. Darwin award for this guy.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
The moral of the story? Don't throw rocks at armed police, but if you must, surrender afterwards. Darwin award for this guy.
Meh.. It is a bit excessive for someone to be shot for throwing rocks. You would think with the prevelence of tazers that would have been the go to.. But.. We don't know the entire situation.

Will agree with you that bringing rocks to a gunfight isn't smart.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
true. Also, this isn't another Ferguson, not even close. This is just crime as usual, and crime don't pay.
Unless you're in the looting and protesting business anyway. Ferguson did pay pretty well if that was your agenda.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,934 times
Quote:
The reason for the reference to white people is that, as the majority population and the majority culture in the US, it is the standard to be measured against for education and socio-economic success in the US. But at least I know the difference between a race and an ethnicity....

Have you read this forum?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/
nice attempt, but you're still the one who unnecessarily said "white people". If the majority of people are white, and this is supposedly common knowledge, then why do you need to bring race in to your comment? why do you need to say "we're too busy overcoming white people". do you know how creepy that sounds?

Now you're alluding to ethnicity for some reason. Again, you're the person who said "white people" and "we're" (alluding to Hispanics) that makes you the racist here.

That's what you do, as a racist, you look at the world in racial terms, it's all your race vs. the white people and who is "winning" the college education race. See? racist. simple.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:48 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times
Quote:
Sorry, our kids are too busy bringing up college completion rates after passing whites for college enrollment rates.
Hispanic High School Graduates Pass Whites in Rate of College Enrollment | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project.
Hispanic College Enrollment Up, But Not By Enough - New America Media
No time to travel to Pasco and riot.
Magnificent.

Simply a stunning accomplishment.

I am a white boy myself, but my wife is a Peruvian gal. When she came to this country she spoke English only poorly. With that handicap, and facing some depression because of being away from her family, she obtained her degree and now makes almost as much money as I do. I eagerly await the day she surpasses me. In the meantime, we have brought her parents here for an extended visit.

I faithfully helped her along, but she overcame some truly daunting obstacles, often doing better in her classes than the white and Asian kids who counted English as their first language.

I am very happy to say that this is why whites, Hispanics and Asians are growing closer and closer every day in America. Hispanics had it so hard for so long, but suddenly the world turns and it is a completely different place.

I am very sad to say that blacks remain the proverbial odd man out, and this thread illustrates why. They don't face a tenth of the cultural problems of other immigrant groups, but large percentages continue to live in perpetual misery, blaming imaginary ills against themselves and events of 50-150 years ago for their failures rather than availing themselves of the free education, health care, cell phones, housing assistance, food assistance, rule of law, special rights, and almost unlimited opportunity of living life in this country.

OP posts this thread as if hoping that some incident will spark the Hispanic community to riot and rebel, rather than continue to do the incredible job they are doing at participating in the American tradition of immigration and upward mobility.

What can be done about it? Is there any way we can help to turn things around for them?

Quote:
nice attempt, but you're still the one who unnecessarily said "white people". If the majority of people are white, and this is supposedly common knowledge, then why do you need to bring race in to your comment? why do you need to say "we're too busy overcoming white people". do you know how creepy that sounds?

Now you're alluding to ethnicity for some reason. Again, you're the person who said "white people" and "we're" (alluding to Hispanics) that makes you the racist here.

That's what you do, as a racist, you look at the world in racial terms, it's all your race vs. the white people and who is "winning" the college education race. See? racist. simple.
With respect friend, I don't think Marigolds6 meant it that way at all. Seems like the original post was just taking pride in the fact that Hispanic people are doing so well and declaring that they are not going to engage in the same tomfoolery as the black community, because they are too busy being successful.

That is, as the end of the day, what we all want, right? For Americans of all stripes to be successful and come closer together?

Last edited by cachibatches; 02-22-2015 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 01:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

With respect friend, I don't think Marigolds6 meant it that way at all. Seems like the original post was just taking pride in the fact that Hispanic people are doing so well and declaring that they are not going to engage in the same tomfoolery as the black community, because they are too busy being successful.

That is, as the end of the day, what we all want, right? For Americans of all stripes to be successful and come closer together?
Well said, though "tomfoolery" is being too kind.

As for your last sentence, there are many, including some politicians, the MSM media, and of course the race hucksters, that don't want this. Because if that were to happen, they would lose influence & power.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:06 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Well said, though "tomfoolery" is being too kind.

As for your last sentence, there are many, including some politicians, the MSM media, and of course the race hucksters, that don't want this. Because if that were to happen, they would lose influence & power.
Yes...and I believe that OP is firmly in that camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events