Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:11 AM

312 posts, read 481,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This has to be one of the silliest things that I think that I've read in a long time. i.e. It's the old "Blue Eyed, Blond Haired, Devil, that spends every waking moment thinking of new ways to subjugate anyone of color argument just stated with different words.

It also ignores the multitudes of White people who spent much time, money & blood, to fight for equal rights for everyone.

You have a very distorted view of the world. There isn't a race on the planet that hasn't as a society, done everything that you accuse Whites of doing now. Study some history and current events. It's easy to play a victim. It's very difficult to take some responsibility instead.
We think a like. Every group has done something. Look at the treatment of white minority communities in Zimbabwe and South Africa, and do a little reading on Mayor Coleman Young, the King of Detroit. People like to talk as if white people are exceptional in the fact that they have done some racist crap, whenever non-white people get into power they do exactly as white did in the past. The last mayoral election in Atlanta was tight between a black dude and a white lady, it was the first Mayoral election in 40 something years where a white person had a shot because Atlanta has had a lot of white people moving into the city (went from over 2/3s black in the 90s to 40% in 2010)...read some of the articles written by RESPECTED JOURNALISTS and switch the words black and white around...sounded like it could've been a speech by George Wallace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
We think a like. Every group has done something. Look at the treatment of white minority communities in Zimbabwe and South Africa, and do a little reading on Mayor Coleman Young, the King of Detroit. People like to talk as if white people are exceptional in the fact that they have done some racist crap, whenever non-white people get into power they do exactly as white did in the past. The last mayoral election in Atlanta was tight between a black dude and a white lady, it was the first Mayoral election in 40 something years where a white person had a shot because Atlanta has had a lot of white people moving into the city (went from over 2/3s black in the 90s to 40% in 2010)...read some of the articles written by RESPECTED JOURNALISTS and switch the words black and white around...sounded like it could've been a speech by George Wallace.
Well, WaldoKitty did point out correct facts, but you on the other hand have been talking about how race purity matters... listen, in Europe, we learn what has been done in History and we also learn that the real issue is the scale of it. Colonialism, slavery or racial discrimination indeed existed in some forms before the various European empires but they reached a peak with those empires, as well as with Germany and its sad History.

If those who committed those facts, Europeans, acknowledge that the core issue was the scale and the systemic character of those acts, why would others deny it?

Nobody is saying that Greeks did not have a slavery system in Antiquity, that some Africans leaders did not participate in the slavery triangle, that the Ottoman empire did not commit the Armenian genocide, that Japanese did not do some human experiments on other human beings, etc...

It does not change the fact that one cannot stand behind those facts to "forget" what has been done. There is a reason why History books, at least in Europe, focus on remembering those facts. It's because people have a short memory and a high tendency to forgive themselves. It starts with simply saying that this was done by some ancestors and not by us. Well as much as this is true, when you are willing to forget, you are also giving yourself a "chance" to repeat History because you do not have the facts to remind you how it went wrong last time some of us thoughts like that. Hence your stance on race purity is a potential danger, especially when you will be in position of power.

Now there might be some side effects when forcing everyone to remember those mistakes of the past but obviously, the cost benefit was much better when you remind History as it was instead of covering for it.

I am hopeful your intend was not to be racist or xenophobic, but please note that such discriminatory words can lead to actions and thoughts that could repeat History. And that is certainly not positive.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:20 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I get SO tired of the word "hate" being used, it has now become just like "love", meaningless. A racist does not necessarily "hate", it is not about "hate".

First, understand what racism is: racist - definition of racist by The Free Dictionary Does it say anything about "hate"? Ah, no.

Only a fool would think that racism is any different than it has ever been or ever will be. It has been moved to the back burner because of the political incorrectness but it still thrives and maybe even more so.

Someone mentioned that they thought Obama would change something with racism, you mean "Uncle Tom", I don't think any race wants to claim that! If we would have been able to put Colin Powell in the presidential seat, that would have been a blessing but putting that other fool in with his voodoo mother-in-law and digging into his ugly past with his African father, etc.

I have known racists, not understood them, but tolerated them since the ignorance they had could not removed and their thought trail was interesting. They did not "hate" but felt superior. Surely most of us have people we feel superior too or want to be separate from based on a variety of reasons but do we hate them. I just get so tired of "hate" being used when it is not appropriate.

Yes, the signs were nonsense and yes, the parents fuel this behavior but the friends your child keeps can just as easily work to turn your child into whatever that friend is. Raise your children to be strong and independent.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:50 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Racism was not taught by my parents. I never heard either say anything derogatory regarding black people. I did hear plenty when in the homes of friends. The first time I encountered racism was when I, a white woman, taught school in an almost 100% black school and it was against me. I've been told when a black person is racist there is no such thing. I wasn't the only white faculty member and whether the others experienced what I experienced, I don't know.

I've tried to do my part to alleviate racism, but I see little, if any progress and it seems to be as much on the black's part as otherwise. The president has created more racist situations. Some of his actions in this direction are abominable.

During his first term I remarked that I didn't like him as president and I was accused of being racist. I didn't like Bush either, but not liking Obama meant I was racist. It's a ridiculous situation. No other president has had such an advantage.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:10 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
You're full of chit.
Considering these words are coming from a nobody...? I couldn't care less...

Old 03-01-2015, 11:41 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,298,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
It's not offensive IMO if you want to preserve your heritage or be proud of your heritage as a White person. The reasons why many non-Whites may see it as problematic is because historically Whites are generally the only group (other than those who celebrate St. Patrick's Day) who when they take pride in their heritage (race), it usually means death, destruction, and terror for those who are not White. Slavery, taking of land, Trail of tears, rape, pillaging, burning down communities, lynching, and wearing White sheets and hoods to terrorize Blacks was a result of Whites taking pride in their heritage. Contrast that with Blacks, Latinos, Native Americans, or Asians taking pride in their heritage: when have they done those things to another race(s) as a way of taking pride in their own race? To put it another way, Whites (some) apparently believe that taking pride in their race means they have to subjugate another race, or group who doesn't look like them, in one form or another. Whereas other races are able to take pride in their race without having to subjugate another race.
This topic were not so serious this post would be laughable.

There is no such thing as "white heritage". Scots have their heritage, the Danes theirs, the French, Spanish and so on. Heritage is also not the same thing as race.

When my Scots family celebrates our heritage we wear skirts, throw around telephone poles, eat awful food and get all weepy when the bagpipes play Scotland The Brave.

When my German family celebrates our heritage we drink beer, sing songs and eat more sausage than is healthy.

When my Dane family celebrates our heritage we put out giant platters of food of seafood (many herrings), reindeer (sorry Rudolph) and the truly awful ludefisk.

But those celebrations are usually a few days of the year. What the various groups that make up my family do celebrate in common are July 4th, Memorial Day, Christmas, Easter, Martin Luther King's birthday, Lincoln's birthday and so on. The days that all Americans celebrate. I don't recall ever having gone to a "Trail of Tears Day" picnic.

Your ramblings show such a shallow understanding of history and the world it is rather scary. Who celebrates lynchings? Did you know that about one third of all lynching victims were white? (I think not). To ignore the Native American groups aggression towards each other and the taking of slaves by them is willfully ignorant.

The same holds true for the traditions of slavery on the African continent. Many African tribes took slaves and slavery is still an issue in Africa. So is brutality on a scale that makes anything on the North American continent look like a day at the beach. So it is not a race issue. It is an issue of evil unchecked.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:51 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
Where do you live? I know tons of white foreigners with foreign accents and they have never been treated badly. They might not become a customer service rep On the phone but nothing hardcore.

Are you a native English speaker like a kiwi, Aussie, mick or a Limey? There might be some light hearted jokes but you shouldn't have any problems at all

And racism only has to do with race. There is classism, ageism, regionalism etc but racism is solely about color

However as I always say if you move here (or anywhere) from somewhere else and you don't like the behavior of Americans, you should probably leave. Why immigrate to a nation you dislike or wanna change? You won't be happy and us Americans won't be happy if you complain..that's why i hate "immigrant rights" protests, as the son of immigrants if you don't like the way immigrants are treated here you are free to stop being an immigrant
I was born in NZ but have been in Australia all of my adult life.

ITS NOT FUNNY AFTER 30 YEARS!

Do these idiots HONESTLY think I have never heard one single kiwi joke in that time?

Yes, it seems they do.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:19 PM

677 posts, read 672,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Considering these words are coming from a nobody...? I couldn't care less...
I just find it comical how some people have to lie to 'nobodies,' trying to convince them that they have something. Nobody cares.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:43 PM

312 posts, read 481,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I was born in NZ but have been in Australia all of my adult life.

ITS NOT FUNNY AFTER 30 YEARS!

Do these idiots HONESTLY think I have never heard one single kiwi joke in that time?

Yes, it seems they do.
Is it really that offensive? To me I can barely here the difference between Aussies and Kiwis accept for certain words (fush and chups for fish and chips)

I've never really heard anything about a Kiwi that could be considered a horrific slur. What do they say to offend you so? Worst I've heard usually has something to do with sheep like "sheep shagger" or something.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Racism is kept alive by the blacks that continually use it as a crutch and excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events