Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:21 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Such a tragedy, so pointless. And I guess it makes sense that she was dumb enough to chat on FB while driving and also dumb enough to not buckle her seatbelt. The crazy thing is? She survived and the 3 children who were seat belted in died. I doubt that has happened many times.

Charges: Wis. woman was Facebook chatting before crash that killed three kids | Star Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 06:43 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Not to sound disrespectful, but does this really surprise you !!!

We have no text and no talking while driving in San Antonio and I see this going on everyday !!!

I see police doing this as well as a recent story on many of our councilmen and women still talking on their cell phones while driving !!!

Their response was "yes they understand its against the law and they need to stop", where they ticketed, NOPE !!

Those that will say that police talking on their cell phones while driving is okay because their working is "BS", they are not above the law !!!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:50 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
I was almost hit yesterday and on Sunday by vehicles which wandered into the next lane because the driver was looking down and texting at their cell phone. (I could see into their cabin-fortunately they did not have dark tints as many do in Miami) I used my horn twice to alert to the danger.

Part of DD now is to note if other drivers in adjacent, behind or infront are on their cell phone. Difficult to do if they have those super dark tints which are illegal but apparently common here in South Florida.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:33 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I hope she gets a prison cell for a long, long time.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:39 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
She was found to have used facebook two minutes before the crash. It is very likely she was driving distracted but did it cause the crash? As noted in the story her tires were in bad shape.

"The State Patrol also noted that the tires on Milberg’s SUV were badly worn and unable to channel moisture that may have been present on the road."

More concerning to me is the fact she was on some powerful medication that SPECIFICALLY WARNS AGAINST OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE. She decided she was "special" and didn't have to follow the advice.

Police found prescription oxycodone in her purse; a blood report later showed that Milberg had therapeutic levels of oxycodone and a sedative known as midazolam in her system at the time of the crash.

She thought she could drive while on OXY AND a sedative while catching up on facebook in a vehicle with bald tires.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
I was driving my truck(big commercial truck) down a hill towards an intersection with a green light once. A guy traveling the other street stopped in the middle of the intersection, I can see him talking on his phone. He turned his head and saw the giant grille coming at him, his eyes got huge. Fortunately for him there was no one traveling towards me in the opposite direction so I was able to mover over into the other lane right before t-boning him. I'm sure he had a brown stain in his underwear.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
I hope she goes to prison for a very long time.

It's just awful how in situations like this and for drunk drivers, the offender never dies but they kill others.

You combine cell phone use, prescription drugs with balding tires, what good can come out of that?

We've come to believe that driving is a right and not a privilege these days. Licensing has to get stricter. So do vehicle inspections. Fines for driving vehicles out of tolerance and punishments for violations need to be increased.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:24 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
I hate inattentive drivers as much as anyone, but I'm still not convinced she was actually on her phone. Anything can happen when 2 minutes pass. I could be on FB then drive out of my parking spot to anywhere in 2 minutes. Too many other possible factors in this case.

Sad story. I bet she wishes she would've died too.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I hate inattentive drivers as much as anyone, but I'm still not convinced she was actually on her phone. Anything can happen when 2 minutes pass. I could be on FB then drive out of my parking spot to anywhere in 2 minutes. Too many other possible factors in this case.

Sad story. I bet she wishes she would've died too.

This is why all the nanny laws specifically attacking one activity or another are dumb in my opinion. She caused the wreck, regardless of the specifics of it. charge her with C&R and death by motor vehicle.

That's why I cringe every time there is some wreck and they pull the black box and say they were driving X MPH over the speed limit in the 2-3 minutes prior to the crash. As you said, 2-3 minutes is a long time. Maybe if they can prove it WHEN the crash happened, but that's a whole different story.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
She was found to have used facebook two minutes before the crash. It is very likely she was driving distracted but did it cause the crash? As noted in the story her tires were in bad shape.

"The State Patrol also noted that the tires on Milberg’s SUV were badly worn and unable to channel moisture that may have been present on the road."

More concerning to me is the fact she was on some powerful medication that SPECIFICALLY WARNS AGAINST OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE. She decided she was "special" and didn't have to follow the advice.

Police found prescription oxycodone in her purse; a blood report later showed that Milberg had therapeutic levels of oxycodone and a sedative known as midazolam in her system at the time of the crash.

She thought she could drive while on OXY AND a sedative while catching up on facebook in a vehicle with bald tires.
Proven time and time again, you can't fix stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events