Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:32 PM

472 posts, read 514,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Google is your friend, on anything you care to know about, pretty much.

You are entitled to your opinion, but that is not what the article suggests. It suggests their migrant status plays a role. *shrugs*
Well, I saw the 'western media' reports. Thousands of people/indians . By most indian media accounts, the mob basically was comprised of friends & family of the women who went missing & then found dead.

The suggestion of the migrant status seems to be a figment of imagination again of the western media. The laborer's - from bangladesh - were working in the north east area of india where they share language/culture with the local people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 01:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDamnLife View Post
Yeah..and then Fergusson, MO happens...
Not even comparable. Educate yourself.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:44 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Maybe some should do a wee bit little research first before judging other people/nations?

Is India the Rape Capital of the World? | MORE Magazine

Quote:
Americans are reading with horror as sexual assault after sexual assault unfolds in India. It’s easy to wonder, “What’s wrong with that country?” But we should be asking what’s wrong with the United States, too.

Rape and violence against women are a massive problem in India. According to the country's National Crime Record Bureau, crimes against women have increased by 7.1 percent since 2010. The number of rapes reported has also risen. Nearly one in three rape victims in India is under the age of 18. One in 10 are under 14. Every 20 minutes in India, a woman is raped.

And yet India only ranks third for the number of rapes reported each year. What country ranks first? The United States. In India, a country of over 1.2 billion people, 24,206 rapes were reported in 2011. The same year in the United States, a nation of 300 million, 83,425 rapes were reported. In the United States, every 6.2 minutes a woman is raped.
Rape In India: Why It Seems Worse | TIME.com

Old 03-07-2015, 01:51 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's why we have a justice system. To be honest, I'm actually shocked to read about this in India given how seriously democracy is supposed to be taken over there.
We do not have a justice system, we have a legal system. There is a drastic difference. Justice is what was doled out, although not through a legal means.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:45 PM

828 posts, read 907,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Maybe some should do a wee bit little research first before judging other people/nations?

Because here in the USA, people feel safer reporting rapes.

Perhaps you don't realize that reporting a rape in certain cultures/countries is a death sentence, or an "No one will ever marry me / I'm bringing shame to my family / social suicide sentence".

Here in the States, can you imagine someone leaving their fiance because she was raped? Well, in some countries, a man would leave his fiance if she was raped, even though she's not at fault. So a woman of that culture is not gonna walk into a police station and wait for her rape kit.

Seriously, you're denying the incidence of rape in certain countries over others? Some countries have higher incidences of kidnapping, some countries have higher incidences of gang rapes, others have higher numbers of teen gangs, others yet have higher incidences of pick-pocketing.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:59 PM

807 posts, read 897,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Two Indian men lynched over sex assault claims - Telegraph

I understand that India is going through a lot with sexual assaults, etc., but mob justice IS NOT the way to go. What if the mob got the wrong person or the person was wrongfully accused? That's why we have a justice system. To be honest, I'm actually shocked to read about this in India given how seriously democracy is supposed to be taken over there.
I couldn't help but observe that in a sense, that mob IS democracy being enacted. Just at a very angry, irrational and local level.

Snark aside, I agree that in a civilized country, a trial and rule of law is necessary to make certain that the accused men are actually guilty. In this case, the article clearly mentions racial tensions with immigrants as being a possible motive that clouds the picture here.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
A reason not to report rape in Saudi: (this was 2007)
"A nineteen year old Saudi woman was today convicted of the heinous crime of being gang-raped by seven men. The penalty for such a blatant violation of Islamic Law has been set at a relatively conserative six months prison time and 200 lashes. The entire story has received international attention due to several news outlets defending the girl as some sort of victim. Says the Saudi Minister of Justice: "This is a clear cut case of adultery and sexual promiscuity, both of which are unforgivable crimes in our culture. The defendant in question was partially dressed in a parked car with a man other than her husband, breaking dozens of our most sacred laws by doing so. Additionally, this woman may have been partially educated, at least enough to show basic writing skills, which constitutes a violation of many of our oldest irrevocable traditions. Portraying this person as the victim in this case would be offensive to any self-respecting Saudi."

We have Indian neighbors. The other day the mother was screaming inside the car as the larger-than-her teenage son was beating on her. Like father like son. She didn't want to report it. She probably would have gotten it worse.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:37 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
As mentioned rapes are reported here a lot more often than 3rd world countries like India.

I was shocked to see South Africa's stats did some reading on reporting as a whole, Sweden has a high number because so many women do report, which is a good thing.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:06 PM

743 posts, read 832,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Because here in the USA, people feel safer reporting rapes.

Perhaps you don't realize that reporting a rape in certain cultures/countries is a death sentence, or an "No one will ever marry me / I'm bringing shame to my family / social suicide sentence".

Here in the States, can you imagine someone leaving their fiance because she was raped? Well, in some countries, a man would leave his fiance if she was raped, even though she's not at fault. So a woman of that culture is not gonna walk into a police station and wait for her rape kit.

Seriously, you're denying the incidence of rape in certain countries over others? Some countries have higher incidences of kidnapping, some countries have higher incidences of gang rapes, others have higher numbers of teen gangs, others yet have higher incidences of pick-pocketing.
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

This post is completely discredited simply because "reported" and "actual" are two very different things.
I can report a rape if someone looks at my butt. It doesn't mean I was actually raped.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Can you quote an Indian law that specificly protects Indian women from Indian men? If you cant, then how can you accuse someone of generalizing?
Rape Laws in India
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events