Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:21 AM

66 posts, read 73,301 times

Advertisements

A U.S. Citizen is 58 Times More Likely to be Killed by a Police Officer than a Terrorist | The Free Thought Project
Most people have seen the number floating around social media that suggests that citizens are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist, but new data revisions suggest this number was dramatically underestimated.

The lack of accurate official records being kept in the important category of individuals killed by police was met with numerous efforts by citizens. One example, in particular, is Killed By Police - 2015. This site is used to more accurately track the number of people killed by cops yearly.

And what do you think guys? Are you feel yourself in safety while "innocent" cop who killed few black guys is still on duty?
What do you think about possibility of terrorist act and do you think that U.S. Citizen is 58 Times More Likely to be Killed by a Police Officer than a Terrorist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:33 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Of course I agree with that statistic. There are far more criminals in this country than there are terrorists. Kind of a no-brainer isn't it?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:47 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
How likely is a law-abiding American citizen to be killed by a police officer?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
How likely is a law-abiding American citizen to be killed by a police officer?

Not hard at all. Just look at the kid in Brooklyn who was coming down the stair case at the same time a cop was coming up the stairs and startled the cop and was shot to death. A cop can ask you for your license and if you reach for it in a way that they dont feel comfortable, they just assume its a gun and shoot you. Cops that raid the wrong house and then shoot the owners who react, which is natural if you have done nothing wrong, but someone is storming in your house. I could keep going on and on of the many stories of police using bad judgement and shooting law abiding citizens, simply because they assumed/guessed wrong about the situation.

Cops jobs suck as they have to run to the danger and then make decisions in seconds that it would take minutes for others to comprehend.

But in general, 99% of law abiding citizens will likely not be shot by the cops.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:05 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
There are about 322,583,000 people in the US. How many have been shot by law enforcement?

So which is it? "Not hard at all" or "likely not?"

Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
What is it with the continued bashing of Police Officers?
They are human, they make mistakes but the vast majority of the time they are there to protect and serve their communities.

Yes there are justifiable shootings that happen and shootings that shouldn't happen like in Ferguson. Brown should have just stopped.

The trouble is day after day, year after year the Police that patrol areas that are prone to high crime rates there is profiling that goes on. Police do look at young men as a source of trouble and they are right to do so. Take a black, white or hispanic guy 17-25 and guess what they are the most likely to do something stupid that attracts the attention of a Cop.

Very few of those young men practise terrorism but many more, rob, steal, abuse drugs and alcohol, fight or are involved in gangs.

I have very little fear of being shot by a cop or killed by a terrorist but I do have a fear of some young guys hassling me or beating me up to steal my money to buy drugs.

We hear about cops shooting people but we never hear about police who are killed in the line of duty. that is wrong.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
And what do you think guys?
I think worrying about getting killed by a terrorist or a police officer in the US is a sign of being an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
cop who killed few black guys

Oh, and if you are a black guy, and you worry about being murdered; you'd better be concerned about other black guys, since you are hundreds of times more likely to be murdered by one of them than by a cop.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:39 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
I like the subtleties in the manipulation of that stat. The article compares the "killed by police" stat to "justifiable homicides", making it sound like the "killed by police" stat is all shootings. But as you read through the list, you realize that most of the killings are by traffic accident. They list shootings immediately, then backfill accidents so that the top of the list is always shootings while the rest of the list is filled with accidents. They even include deaths in high speed chases, regardless of whether police were actually pursuing.
Meanwhile, on the terrorist side, they explicitly exclude non-military deaths, which includes over 95% of us citizens killed by terrorists. Convenient.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:03 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Well, this is a goofy thread. There are far more citizens than there are terrorists, so therefore the likelihood to be killed by a police officer is much higher. And in all honesty, I put criminals on the same level as terrorists. Why? Theyre cowards to take advantage of and harm innocents. Screw em all!

Old 03-09-2015, 12:45 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, this is a goofy thread. There are far more citizens than there are terrorists, so therefore the likelihood to be killed by a police officer is much higher. And in all honesty, I put criminals on the same level as terrorists. Why? Theyre cowards to take advantage of and harm innocents. Screw em all!
And for that matter, who exactly falls in this category of "terrorist"? Do we count only foreign terrorists? Count deaths of Americans overseas? If its a foreign national, but from a U.S. ally nation, do they count? It is indeed a goofy thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events