Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 04:07 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I agree, but it is a fact that banks have never (and never will) accept responsibility for their mistakes.
Many years ago, a bank processed a check twice. Since it was the ONLY check that month with that dollar amount, it was easy to see it had happened. The bank flatly stated it was impossible, it could not happen, the mistake was mine. After I proved to them that it certainly DID happen, and they returned the money to the account, they STILL insisted they did nothing wrong, and when they were able to prove it I would have to give the money back to them. I changed banks, and let the account sit idle for six months, then closed it out.
They never did accept responsibility for what happened.
They lie their ass off.

I agree with the posters who are questioning why he should be penalized for it. Seems like a bank error, not anything the 18 year old did. And to prosecute a teen like that just starting his career just seems harsh.

I've had similar situations with banks. Even had them manipulate my credits and debits overnight so that I would overdraft. I found a major I like, but most are trash IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 04:12 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You and a bunch of others sound like people who'd keep packages mistakenly delivered to your house.
Why do you guys keep adding all these bad analogies?

It's apples and oranges. I wouldn't keep somebody else's package. Because it's intended for somebody else. The package probably wouldn't contain anything I want or need. Plus it could be a great inconvenience to the intended recipient, through no fault of their own. I would give them their package, because I would want them to do the same for me.

OTOH, I'd love to keep a $30,000 bank error from a stupid greedy bank. Banks steal billions of dollars, and I bet you couldn't care less. But some kid keeps $30,000 that a dumb bank deposited in his account, and you all start crying for the poor bank.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
For it to be a gift, the bank or the real owner of the money would have had to have given it to the thief with the intent for the thief to keep it. That clearly wasn't the case.

For him to be a thief, he would have had to have stolen it.

I say this having never stolen anything. But this case is different.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Why didn't this occur on Wall Street? Where was the ruling on the *******s who destroyed the economy? They spent and used billions, this kid spent 30k. Dude could pay it back in a year on a $15/hr job
You make a great point lol.

Steal billions and crash the world Economy and get bailed out. Get 30k due to bank error and get the book.

To be honest though. That's about right for our current justice system. The real criminals are out in the streets.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:45 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
For him to be a thief, he would have had to have stolen it.

I say this having never stolen anything. But this case is different.
Hogwash. He committed theft the moment he withdrew it. Crime is not countered with more crime. Wall Street crooks are not punished by an individual stealing money deposited in error that was intended for the account of another individual. One must have little sense of morals to justify such a thing.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:04 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Teen convicted after spending $30K mistakenly deposited into his account | myfox8.com

Why should he have to pay it back or be punished at all? The bank's the one who screwed up.
If I remember that portion of my business law course correctly, you cannot show possession of something that was delivered to your house or your bank account in error. Spending the money showed possession.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

It's apples and oranges. I wouldn't keep somebody else's package. Because it's intended for somebody else. The package probably wouldn't contain anything I want or need. Plus it could be a great inconvenience to the intended recipient, through no fault of their own. I would give them their package, because I would want them to do the same for me.

OTOH, I'd love to keep a $30,000 bank error from a stupid greedy bank. Banks steal billions of dollars, and I bet you couldn't care less. But some kid keeps $30,000 that a dumb bank deposited in his account, and you all start crying for the poor bank.

So the criteria on whether you'd keep something that's not yours is whether it is of some value use to you?

So if the $30k was intended to be deposited into your account but, instead, was delivered to the perp's account, you'd be ok with him "doing the same" to you?

Old 03-11-2015, 05:22 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
The bank teller hit the "deposit" button on the wrong account.

The kid knowingly spent $30,000 he KNEW was not his.

Which is the bigger issue? The kid deserves what he got and of course he has to pay the money back.

I'm appalled that so many people on this thread think the young man is blameless here. Unbelievable.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

Aren't you forgetting something? You keep on about the bank, it wasn't the banks money, it belonged to someone else. You can't understand that simple concept!? Talk about a lack of comprehension. The bank made an error but the money belonged to another person, not the bank. Basically, the logic of your comments is that stealing is okay. See how that works out for ya.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
The logic is so clearcut I notice it is the childish ones who need an analogy to rationalize spending money which does not belong to them because they did not deposit it or earn it via interest. Pure ghetto mentality like the "Lord's Bounty" rationalization used earlier in the armored car losing a bag of money episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events