Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 02:33 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times

Advertisements

I recall I found $10 on the floor at the local USPS office about a year ago. I turned it into the clerk who said keep it. I said No. $10 is a lot of money to some people.(I would come back and ask if someone found it if I had misplaced that amount.) I do not know what she did with it but I have seen folks come back into the building to ask about misplaced keys, wallet, cell phone. My conscience is clear. Cannot even fathom $30000.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-21-2015 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 02:47 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I'm sure you've plenty heard the stories about valuable items (including cash) being left on planes and/or at checkpoints only to be kept by airline staff and/or TSA. Right? Do you know why that is? It's because for any NON-consumer entity, they're assumed to be authorized to keep whatever they want without real punishment. Consumers are assumed guilty regardless. That's the difference.
I'm pretty sure if the airlines/TSA are able to id the owner, they'd contact them ... ala unclaimed luggage and such.
But you (and the perp) are not them.

Quote:
Let me help you through your confusion. The pay stub reflected the extra $500. That's the problem - ADP said it was valid money. It wasn't until the bank sent me a notice that I realized where the screwup happened.

The whole issue started because ADP said I should be paid X when I really should have been paid X-$500. But when my pay stub shows something, I should be able to trust that.

In ADP's defense that sort of egregious error has not happened ever again, and I've since worked at over 10 companies that all use ADP. But I wasn't the only one it happened to nor was I the only that assumed it was some sort of back pay or something. Again, I was 18.

My distrust of companies is simply that I understand "The System" is designed to favor banks, not customers. A bank can never be "put out" even when they screw up. It's wrong, but it is what it is. I just understand that, and pay closer attention to make sure I can see when I'm about to screwed, so I adjust accordingly.
If it's ADP's error then why are you blaming the bank?

Old 03-21-2015, 06:18 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
From a moral, ethical standpoint, he shouldn't have spent it. However, it should really only be the bank's responsibility.
And the account holder's responsibility is to notify the bank of the error, not to spend the money. He KNOW if he had deposited that money, and it really belonged to him.

But the story has a moral- don't go off on a spending spree if some beautiful day you find $$$$$ that you didn't deposit in your checking account. They will come looking for that money sooner or later, and if it isn't there, you'll be up the proverbial **** creek without a paddle.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I definitely feel he should be ordered to pay it back.
10 years probation seems a bit harsh, though.
I bet he won't do it again!

He may not serve the entire 10 years, though.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Well I guess he could say he thought the mysterious money was a miracle from G-d ? He is just a teen after all. The banks fault sorry . They need to replace that money. And the bank teller needs to look at accounts more closely.

What criminal charge is there for someone spending money mistakenly given to them ?
Apparently it's a Georgia law against "theft of misplaced or lost money".

Old 03-21-2015, 06:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
But we do not punish for a mistake; if so a lot of employees would be the criminally guilty party in such situations. Just as a bike parked on a sidewalk dose not mean you can take it and keep it. Same thing just money in this case.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:05 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,022,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'm pretty sure if the airlines/TSA are able to id the owner, they'd contact them ... ala unclaimed luggage and such.
No. No they do not. You can Google that yourself. If it's an item of value they WILL keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If it's ADP's error then why are you blaming the bank?
Because again, the law protects the bank, when it shouldn't. In my example, it wasn't the bank that was harmed, it was the employer really - but because of the fact that the law protects NON-consumer entities, all three NON-consumer entities get off scot-free...and the employee has to eat it. That's wrong.

In a proper economy, here is what should happen.
  • Employer reports to ADP to issue a Direct Deposit for $X.
  • ADP transmits a Direct Deposit ACH for $Y (this is THEIR error, mind)
  • Bank receives $Y and credits it to the employee's account. (Bank doesn't know there's an error.)
  • ADP realizes the issue months later, tells the bank, "hey, we need some of that money back..."
  • Bank SHOULD tell ADP, "too bad. You sent that money, it's gone. Tell the employer and figure it out."
  • ADP SHOULD tell employer, "hey, we screwed up and sent too much money out for this employee."
  • Employer SHOULD go to employee and say, "hey, looks like you got overpaid. We will need to withhold X vacation hours OR withhold your next check since you were basically double paid. Your choice."
  • Employer forces ADP to pay the money back to their custodian account.

In that scenario, all is right with the world. Bank doesn't get enriched, employer gets theirs back, employee is not put out and put on ChexSystems for something that's not their fault, and ADP, the one who screwed up in the first place, can't whine to the bank...they have to pay out pocket.

Enough payments for these screw ups, they won't screw up anymore. (and I think some employers/banks DO treat this situation the way I described now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events