Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 11:22 AM

506 posts, read 427,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I see the logic ... the bank forced the 18-yo into spending the money he knew wasn't his. The bank's mistake coaxed out this innate urge to take what's not his. Got it. It's Obama's fault too.
Let's not pretend that the 18 year old walked into the bank with an AK-47 and began executing tellers until they deposited the money into his account.

Spending money the bank put into your account is not an action worthy of having your entire life ruined because of it, but because it involves an individual taking advantage of a bank, the legal system bought by the banking industry takes it very serious. If the bank stole $30,000 out of the teen's account the legal system would not care, because once you give a bank your money it belongs to them.

The best thing people can learn from this twisted incident is that it is necessary for everybody to stop dealing with banks. Immediately and without delay, people need to withdraw all of their funds, and if they're in the process of repaying a loan to some bank, they should stop at once. The banking industry's friends in the government will do whatever they can to keep the banking industry afloat including helping the banks prevent people from getting their cash, which will create problems, but if the people remain dedicated we should be able to bring about the total collapse of the banking system, which it what really needs to occur for meaningful change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 11:25 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Let's not pretend that the 18 year old walked into the bank with an AK-47 and began executing tellers until they deposited the money into his account.

Spending money the bank put into your account is not an action worthy of having your entire life ruined because of it, but because it involves an individual taking advantage of a bank, the legal system bought by the banking industry takes it very serious. If the bank stole $30,000 out of the teen's account the legal system would not care, because once you give a bank your money it belongs to them.

The best thing people can learn from this twisted incident is that it is necessary for everybody to stop dealing with banks. Immediately and without delay, people need to withdraw all of their funds, and if they're in the process of repaying a loan to some bank, they should stop at once. The banking industry's friends in the government will do whatever they can to keep the banking industry afloat including helping the banks prevent people from getting their cash, which will create problems, but if the people remain dedicated we should be able to bring about the total collapse of the banking system, which it what really needs to occur for meaningful change.
How is his life ruined?? He has to pay back money that wasn't his. And he's on probation - meaning that if he doesn't nothing wrong for 10 years, it has no impact. If he does something wrong, well, that's on him, isn't it?

Old 03-18-2015, 11:40 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
No, it's called finders keepers, losers weepers. It's the owner's dumbass fault for leaving the keys in the car with the door wide open for me to take it. I'm just capitalizing on stupidity.
You may be in possession of something (a car or money from an accounting error), but that doesn't mean you legally own it. If you don't legally own it and take the car or spend the money, it's theft.
If you leave your keys in your car and someone decides to 'use it', are you going to say "my mistake, you're welcome to it", or are you going to call the police and report it stolen? Just curious.
Just because someone makes a mistake, does not give someone else a free pass to commit a crime against them.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Um, ok, who said that? The 18-yo ADULT was convicted of Theft-by-Taking, not Armed Robbery. Thus he's on probation and not in federal prison.

Quote:
Spending money the bank put into your account is not an action worthy of having your entire life ruined because of it,
Um, how is his life ruined? He's on probation and free to live his life like the rest of us.

Quote:
The best thing people can learn from this twisted incident is that it is necessary for everybody to stop dealing with banks. Immediately and without delay, people need to withdraw all of their funds, and if they're in the process of repaying a loan to some bank, they should stop at once. .
Yes, that makes sense! Well, at least , it explains your "thought" process.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:29 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
No, it's called finders keepers, losers weepers. It's the owner's dumbass fault for leaving the keys in the car with the door wide open for me to take it. I'm just capitalizing on stupidity.
I know you're kidding, but apparently various others don't. Don't forget the smiley!

Old 03-18-2015, 03:07 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I think the kid should be punished in some way.... however to make him pay back $30k for a mistake that technically is not his fault is a bit much... because had that bank not made the mistake and had the incompetent employee not screwed up this kid would have no debt....

The bank should pay the older man back... The bank made the mistake... not the 18 y/o.
He should have some consequences to deal with, but not be made to pay it all back. It's not his fault.
I can't believe this kind of warped thinking. The kid k new the money wasn't his and he spent it. End of story. It was wrong. He's not going to jail. But it's still very wrong.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 PM

11,374 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
It was a clerical error, not literally stealing the money from one and giving it to another. If you can't see the difference I can't help your type of thinking. The man KNEW the money was not his and spent it anyway. 10 years probation is NO jail time. Fair sentence to me. What he does after being put on probation is ALL on him.
Not quite. With almost every employer giving background checks to potential employees and the competition for jobs fierce, he will have a very difficult time in life. That said his mother deserves the future she will have with him as he likely lives with her until she dies.

Employers like some moving companies might hire him.

I do agree it was a fair sentence.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:42 PM

96 posts, read 85,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
How is his life ruined?? He has to pay back money that wasn't his. And he's on probation - meaning that if he doesn't nothing wrong for 10 years, it has no impact. If he does something wrong, well, that's on him, isn't it?
Actually, everyone who's on probation has to pay a monthly probation fee. I've a friend who's a probation officer. She tells me the monthly fee is usually $50. Let's do the math.

50 x 12 x 10 = $6000.

That's on top of the $30k he owes in restitution.

Here's another thing. Most places do background checks nowadays. Nobody wants to hire someone who's on probation. This guy won't even be able to get a job at McDonald's in the next 10 years.

Furthermore, he's convicted of a felony, yes? Even in states where he can have the felony conviction removed, he has to wait at least 7 years after his probation ended. And it takes about 2 years for the paperwork to go through to have his conviction either expunged or sealed.

He is 18 now. 18 + 10 + 7 + 2 = 37.

That means that he will be 37 before he could get any legit job that's not crappy.

How is his life not ruined?

Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM

11,374 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZombie View Post
Actually, everyone who's on probation has to pay a monthly probation fee. I've a friend who's a probation officer. She tells me the monthly fee is usually $50. Let's do the math.

50 x 12 x 10 = $6000.

That's on top of the $30k he owes in restitution.

Here's another thing. Most places do background checks nowadays. Nobody wants to hire someone who's on probation. This guy won't even be able to get a job at McDonald's in the next 10 years.

Furthermore, he's convicted of a felony, yes? Even in states where he can have the felony conviction removed, he has to wait at least 7 years after his probation ended. And it takes about 2 years for the paperwork to go through to have his conviction either expunged or sealed.

He is 18 now. 18 + 10 + 7 + 2 = 37.

That means that he will be 37 before he could get any legit job that's not crappy.

How is his life not ruined?
My understanding is a charge like this will always be on ones record. Even if you are correct experience is everything. It will be difficult for him to ever get gainful employment.

His life is ruined.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
From a moral, ethical standpoint, he shouldn't have spent it. However, it should really only be the bank's responsibility.
I think you will find in small print in your banking documents that if you spend money that's mistakenly deposited in your account, you're responsible - not the bank.

That being said, the bank did make a significant error and if I were the person who lost the money, I can assure you that I'd be going after the bank. The bank does have money - the teenager doesn't. The court should have made the bank pay up and the teen reimburse the bank.

Ok just googled this case and found out some more interesting stuff.

The teen - Steven Fields - was raised by a woman who isn't his mother, a Stacey Sorrow who said that Fields was "excited to see his bank account balloon." This woman blames the bank. The convicted "teen" who is legally an adult, aged 18, and who looks like, as my boys say, a "grown ass man," has since been arrested on some drug charges - and he already had some pending charges prior to the bank incident. Apparently he's still got possession of the BMW he bought with the money and that car cannot be seized. The teller was "forced to retire."
http://ktla.com/2015/03/10/teen-conv...o-his-account/
http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2...-charged-theft
http://wgntv.com/2015/03/10/teen-con...-bank-account/

I think this guy was probably doing a pretty good job of ruining his own life before these charges. Somehow I think he would have ended up with criminal charges and a record anyway.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-18-2015 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events