Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 09:43 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
He (teen) was excited. I would have been too,” she adds, recalling the moment the teen discovered the funds in his account.

The teen spent most of the money on a BMW, among other items.

The elder Fields said he met the teen for the first time in court.

Reporter: “Do you feel like he was sincere when he apologized?”

Fields: “I don’t know if he was or not. It’s like when people say, ‘I’m sorry.’ I feel like they’re sorry they got caught,” said the victim.

The teen has since been arrested for possessing illegal drugs.

“They (anyone with a pending sentence) can come back before the judge on that new charge and have a portion their sentence that they already have revoked, which means they would have to serve a portion of that sentence in jail,” said Sam Small with the Madison County District Attorney..

Unreal that his guardian/mother knew of this and she let him spend it.. I can just imagine the conversation between me and my mother when I told her there is $30,000 in my bank account all of a sudden and I was going to buy a BMW with it...HOW stupid can you be?

I hope he can sell the BMW he bought to help pay off some of the debt because since he's been arrested for illegal drugs he may go to jail..... They all deserve what they get....the whole family....
They sound like the epitome of lowlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:43 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's easy to have morals on an anonymous message board. This reminds me of all the posters who mercilessly bash other people who admit to cheating on their spouses on the relationships forum. Since around 50% of married people, men and women, cheat on their spouses, I'm positive some of these bashers are secretly cheating themselves. How many of you would have done the same thing as the kid (or would have if they knew for a fact they wouldn't get prosecuted?) I admit to being weak and a person with very little financial means. I might do the same thing the kid did; I don't know. But there's one kind of person I can't stand; it's a hypocrite, and I know there's a lot of them around here. People in glass houses. . .
I have very little financial means, but I wouldn't keep the money even if I knew I wouldn't get caught. I would feel too guilty and get no pleasure out of it. Even knowing the bank would cover the man's loss, I'd still feel bad. I'm not being a hypocrite either.

To me it's no better than the person on a business trip who cheats on his wife because there is no way she will know about it. Just because you won't be caught doesn't make it alright.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:54 PM

303 posts, read 396,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
When he spent the money he stole it. If he had simply left it untouched in the account it would have continued to simply be a bank error waiting for correction.
Exactly. If this was just an innocent kid, he wouldn't have to pay back 30k. If he had nibbled at the money like anyone who is not making a downpayment on a home would, the "Oh, he thought it may have been his" defense may have flew, but he spent as much of it as he could immediately (25k in 10 days!) and actively obstructed attempts the bank made to get it back, lying and saying that it was from an inheritance. After he was informed by police that the money was certainly not his, he agreed to come forward, then... didn't. For the person who was talking about glass houses, some of us speak from experience - I came across a large sum of money as a teen and turned it in to the nearest authority, because it's what my mother taught me to do. If I would be delighted to find the money, as a non-sociopath, I'm also forced to consider how upset the other person must be to have lost it and what I'd want done if my money were misplaced or misallocated.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:32 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Rubbish and you know it. All that is an excuse for what happened after the banks mistake. You are saying that when someone makes a mistake, anyone can do anything they want after that and it is okay? On what planet? No, the kid isn't a victim, he is now a criminal. Justice has been served. Tough.
"On what planet?" That's the wrong question. It should be "in what year?" It's obvious from your handle that you came here in a time machine from year 2525. Have you considered the possibility that laws and expectations might have changed in the 500 years between our time and yours? Legally and morally the proper "punishment" is for the bank to get all the assets the kid obtained from the windfall. Nothing further is justified, because the whole incident was their fault in the first place.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:06 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Isn't this what FDIC insurance is for?

I don't judge this kid. My grandmother once got double pay by the federal government on her social security and she withdrew it immediately. She didn't spend it and they asked for it back immediately but I don't consider her a bad person.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Isn't this what FDIC insurance is for?

I don't judge this kid. My grandmother once got double pay by the federal government on her social security and she withdrew it immediately. She didn't spend it and they asked for it back immediately but I don't consider her a bad person.
Do you think that is what a person with good morals and ethics would have done ? How can you possibly think this is anywhere near ok ?

A man was paying me at the register the other day and was telling me he dropped his wallet and when someone found it they turned it into the police with ALL the money and cards intact. He said "It really makes you realize there are still good people in the world, doesn't it ?"

So the question is, do you want to live your life as a good person or otherwise ? If it ain't yours, it ain't yours !

Don

Old 03-16-2015, 05:55 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I have very little financial means, but I wouldn't keep the money even if I knew I wouldn't get caught. I would feel too guilty and get no pleasure out of it. Even knowing the bank would cover the man's loss, I'd still feel bad. I'm not being a hypocrite either.

To me it's no better than the person on a business trip who cheats on his wife because there is no way she will know about it. Just because you won't be caught doesn't make it alright.
Nice to know there are still people out there who have a conscience and know right from wrong.

Count me as one who never cheated but I have been cheated on.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:03 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,642 times
The money was not his. 10 years probation seems harsh to me. Did anyone find out how much time/the sentencing the 70 year old teller got?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:09 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
The money was not his. 10 years probation seems harsh to me. Did anyone find out how much time/the sentencing the 70 year old teller got?
The teller made a mistake. She mistakenly deposited money into another account holder's account who happened to share the same name as the correct account holder. A lot of people could have made that same mistake. It was not a criminal act.

The kid who spent the money he knew didn't belong to him committed a criminal act. Huge difference.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:13 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
I'm curious how all the people who want the teller to repay the money would react if their employer told them they needed to pay for any mistakes they made at work. It's less quantifiable for those who don't directly handle money but I'm sure all of us have made some mistakes at work that cost our employers money even if indirectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events