Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 06:01 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Well I guess he could say he thought the mysterious money was a miracle from G-d ? He is just a teen after all. The banks fault sorry . They need to replace that money. And the bank teller needs to look at accounts more closely.

What criminal charge is there for someone spending money mistakenly given to them ?
Larceny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 06:10 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
He didn't get stuck with "the" bill. He got stuck with "a" bill. He has to pay the bank, and the bank has to pay the rightful owner.
Wrong order. The bank already had to pay the rightful owner, because it was their mistake. Now they will try to get the money back from the kid.

You make it sound like they are waiting for the kid to repay the money before they credit the rightful owner. I will guarantee that money was credited the second he brought it to their attention, or the bank would be getting their asses sued.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:12 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,123 times
The bank screwed up big time by accidently depositing the money into his account. Now I know the teen got tempted to use that money, he probably erroneously thought the bank would not discover their mistake, but that was not true.

So the money is NOT his, so he should not have spent it.

Bad situation.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:14 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Interesting he was charged under a Georgia specific law: Theft by taking.
That's not a Georgia-specific law. It's a Georgia statute , but that's just basically a statement of the common-law elements of larceny. You'd have the same law with possibly different names in every state.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:29 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Because it's not his money to spend any more than it is someone else's to lose. Did the kid think he got a magical windfall? Come on. Anyone with enough of an IQ to HAVE a bank account in the first place ought to be able to reason through this one.

Agreed.

No one has yet answered the question " how would you feel if it were your money? "

Some of you are either trolling, stupid, or thieves.

The kid lied when confronted. That tells you all you need to know.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Agreed.

No one has yet answered the question " how would you feel if it were your money? "

Some of you are either trolling, stupid, or thieves.

The kid lied when confronted. That tells you all you need to know.
Seems you're one of the few that get it.

All this nonsense about it being the banks money. What difference does that make? The only thing that matters is that the money belongs to someone else, period.

From reading some of the posts, you'd think that if someone dropped some money out of their wallet or purse that picking it up before they got to it allows the fastest one to claim ownership.

Agreed, seems like a lot ethically compromised people who think the mistake of one person entitles them to steal.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:33 PM

185 posts, read 184,958 times
Quote:
Well I guess he could say he thought the mysterious money was a miracle from G-d

That is the best!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:47 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Agreed.

I'd say, keep it kid. Have a blast. I got my money back from the bank anyway. You might as well have some too.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,120 times
Interesting thread. I am not surprised at the Kid, spending the money, since "young" can be stupid too.

What amazes me is to see how many dishonest Adults I see here, that indicate they would have kept the money too, even knowing it wasn't theirs. More that I thought there would be. And if that's not bad enough, they don't mind saying so in an open public forum....sad.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:30 PM

186 posts, read 238,899 times
Thank bank made the mistake, but the teen should've known better than to spend all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events