Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 09:59 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Teen convicted after spending $30K mistakenly deposited into his account | myfox8.com

Why should he have to pay it back or be punished at all? The bank's the one who screwed up.
Monopoly lied to you. There is no such thing as "Bank Error in your favor". If a bank screws up, and you don't "help them", you're on the hook, not them. It's a scam, but it's the law.

Frankly, if a teller makes a key error to this degree, I feel the bank should go after the teller's salary and garnish it to pay the money back. Let the kid keep it, do right by the older gentleman out of bank funds, then take it out of the teller's hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:34 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
Again with the phrase "teen"

Let's refer back to our AP Style guides again

17-13 is a teen and anyone under is a child

18 and over is an adult

Someone needs to start beating these talking heads with a frying pan and smashing toes with a hammer.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:19 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's easy to have morals on an anonymous message board. This reminds me of all the posters who mercilessly bash other people who admit to cheating on their spouses on the relationships forum. Since around 50% of married people, men and women, cheat on their spouses, I'm positive some of these bashers are secretly cheating themselves. How many of you would have done the same thing as the kid (or would have if they knew for a fact they wouldn't get prosecuted?) I admit to being weak and a person with very little financial means. I might do the same thing the kid did; I don't know. But there's one kind of person I can't stand; it's a hypocrite, and I know there's a lot of them around here. People in glass houses. . .
Just because you don't have any morals, don't bash those who do. Remember, we see situations as we are.

I had a 900 dollar cashier check taken from my account. The money comes out right away. When checking my balance about a week later, I noticed they didn't take the money out of my account. I took the receipt to the bank. Turns out due to a keying error, the took the money out of someone else's account. The manager expressed surprise that I came back.

So yes, Scooby Snacks, I do actually have morals.

A hypocrite bothers you but a thief is OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't have to guess, I've called a bank to correct much smaller errors that were in my favor but I wasn't willing to keep money that I knew wasn't mine. I've also called stores when they have shipped something I didn't order or they sent two instead of one. Most of the time, they say to go ahead and just keep it, it would cost them more in processing and shipping than it's worth to them for me to send back. But I never just keep what doesn't belong to me. I also tell cashiers if they give me too much change, including walking back inside if I've already made it to the parking lot before I realize. I am raising my child to be the same way, and if I want him to be an honest person, I need to model that for him. Don't assume that just because you aren't an honest person without integrity, that others who say they behave differently are lying.
Thank you. I think she has stolen before. A hit dog will holler, as the old saying goes.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:22 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually thats exactly what happened. The money appeared in his account. At that point he didn't know where it came from. Just like finding a stack of money.
Ummmm ... yeah, ok

Old 03-15-2015, 11:27 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
It's easy to have morals on an anonymous message board. This reminds me of all the posters who mercilessly bash other people who admit to cheating on their spouses on the relationships forum. Since around 50% of married people, men and women, cheat on their spouses, I'm positive some of these bashers are secretly cheating themselves. How many of you would have done the same thing as the kid (or would have if they knew for a fact they wouldn't get prosecuted?) I admit to being weak and a person with very little financial means. I might do the same thing the kid did; I don't know. But there's one kind of person I can't stand; it's a hypocrite, and I know there's a lot of them around here. People in glass houses. . .
Morality issue aside, the fact that many posters here think it's not even thieving is amazing and sad.

If you know it's wrong and you still do it, then pay the price when you are caught -- don't try to justify it by blaming the banks, or ignorance, etc

Old 03-15-2015, 04:48 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Monopoly lied to you. There is no such thing as "Bank Error in your favor". If a bank screws up, and you don't "help them", you're on the hook, not them. It's a scam, but it's the law.

Frankly, if a teller makes a key error to this degree, I feel the bank should go after the teller's salary and garnish it to pay the money back. Let the kid keep it, do right by the older gentleman out of bank funds, then take it out of the teller's hide.
The teller is probably making $9 an hour. Good luck taking it out of her hide.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:16 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I don't think he should have to pay it back. The bank has insurance to cover this.
Banks create money. When you get a mortgage, they don't use someone else's money
and loan it to you. What they do is write a draft. In essence, they create the debt.
It is no skin off their back, and it's their mistake, and if I were the kid, I'd never pay it back.
After 7 years I would declare bk or some other legal way out.
I have absolutely no tolerance for banks, it's their mistake, not his. They suffer not.

Evidently you have no tolerance for Honesty either.

I hope no one ever loses their wallet in front of you.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually thats exactly what happened. The money appeared in his account. At that point he didn't know where it came from. Just like finding a stack of money.

OK, we get it. You would steal the money too. We get it.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am going to take a wild guess and say you voted for Obama?

`
I am going to take a wild guess too, and say your an "Obama Hater" looking for any kind of thread you can stick his name in, even if it has nothing to do with him.

Go find a Political thread instead of trying to screw up this one.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:

So I guess you wouldn't say anything if more people would have said they would also steal the money? Reading what your saying, is that you would also steal the money, and seemed to be irritated because there are honest folks here that would not. That's essentially what you said.

I think they also have a section here on "Relationships" where you can vent about your spouse cheating on you. You don't have to slip it in here, on "Current Events."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events