Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 07:21 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
The money was not his. 10 years probation seems harsh to me. Did anyone find out how much time/the sentencing the 70 year old teller got ?
For making this mistake she was fired.

Are you really that harsh with human beings in life? Giving time to someone who simply made a mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,833,084 times
I had something similar happen many years ago (and it was about $3000, not $30,000) and I went straight to the bank and told them about the mistake. Duh. It isn't rocket science.

The parents obviously knew. A teen doesn't just come home with a BMW one day and mom and dad don't notice. They should be held accountable as well.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:31 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
For making this mistake she was fired.

Are you really that harsh with human beings in life? Giving time to someone who simply made mistake?
She shouldn't have even been fired. Mistakes happen. We're human. If it was something she had done before then I could understand her being fired, but not if this was a first time mistake. How many years did the woman work there?

This is a perfect reason it would have been better for the kid to return the money. If he had, then insurance wouldn't have been involved and this woman likely would have kept her job. A woman working at 70 probably needs to work to live. Now who will hire her at that age? There were real consequences to an innocent person.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,138,411 times
From the time my children were old enough to take something that didn't belong to them, we started the lessons about taking something that wasn't yours. Yes, a lot of times it was just sitting there to be taken and looked like it would not be a problem to make it yours. So, in this new age of "no personal responsibility" do you simply not teach your children that taking something or using something that is not theirs is wrong? I'm sorry, I consider the young adult and his mother to be trash. I do wonder if the adult had been in trouble before.

We have gotten checks and had money deposited in our account in error over our long life. We didn't need to ask what we should do and never considered keeping it.

If he doesn't have morals and integrity at 18, he never will. I think there is something very wrong when it is OK for a teenager to commit an adult crime and it be considered an "oops". By the time a person is a teenager, their morals and integrity are set in stone. You don't start training and discipline when the person is a teenager and making excuses for them just shows ignorance of parenting skills.

Pull up ANY banking agreement between bank and customer and it addresses the issue of errors. I googled and there was bank after bank with the same statement. I did find any that did not have a clause about errors and it did not say anything about "lucky day"!

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 03-16-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
She shouldn't have even been fired. Mistakes happen. We're human. If it was something she had done before then I could understand her being fired, but not if this was a first time mistake. How many years did the woman work there?

This is a perfect reason it would have been better for the kid to return the money. If he had, then insurance wouldn't have been involved and this woman likely would have kept her job. A woman working at 70 probably needs to work to live. Now who will hire her at that age? There were real consequences to an innocent person.
I agree.

Like the post I quoted and countless other examples not only on this board but in life, there are some cold-hearted people out there. But let that person get fired from a job for making a mistake like this and see how they feel.

Sadly, many are not going to feel sorry for the 70 year old former bank teller.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
It's difficult to imagine that people are actually having a serious discussion about whether an 18-year old should be accountable for stealing/spending someone else's money. This is a good example of "relative" truth/morality which is neither true or moral, and leaves people conflicted about what is right and wrong, in an obvious situation.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:02 AM

26,192 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Isn't this what FDIC insurance is for?

I don't judge this kid. My grandmother once got double pay by the federal government on her social security and she withdrew it immediately. She didn't spend it and they asked for it back immediately but I don't consider her a bad person.

No this is not what FDIC insurance is for. Why dont you google "FDIC insurance" and see what it covers?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:31 AM

779 posts, read 973,480 times
Both victims should find new different banks.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Both victims should find new different banks.
Both victims? Who's the second victim?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Actually thats exactly what happened. The money appeared in his account. At that point he didn't know where it came from. Just like finding a stack of money.
I sincerely hope you aren't serious. How stupid can someone be that it would not occur to them that they could find out where money in their BANK account came from by .....asking the BANK?

Not at all like finding a random sack of money lying around somewhere with no way to determine where it came from.
Even then a decent person would contact the police to let them know that they had found it, in the event that someone else had reported it lost or stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events