Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 10:36 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,120 times

Advertisements

[quote=eok;38832522 Legally and morally the proper "punishment" is for the bank to get all the assets the kid obtained from the windfall. Nothing further is justified, because the whole incident was their fault in the first place.[/quote]

What World are you living in? Your idea of justice for a criminal act is to hit the "rewind" button, and start from scratch. Doesn't work that way. You don't get to go back and do it again, if you screw up, like a video game. There is this "thing" that's called "Consequences." Maybe your not aware of it.

I suppose a lot of folks like the idea of a crime being only what you don't get away with, and if you get away with it, its not a crime. That's absurd. I just wonder how you came to this idea that if one of your neighbors, or another innocent person makes a mistake, you can profit from it, if you don't get caught? And if you get caught, you get to start over and think "Better luck next time" since there are no consequences to keep you from doing it again? That's pretty weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 10:44 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebyanothername View Post
The money was not his. 10 years probation seems harsh to me. Did anyone find out how much time/the sentencing the 70 year old teller got?

Your joking, right? You think that attempting to steal 30,000 dollars, getting 10 years probation and no jail time is Harsh? That's pretty pathetic.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:41 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Isn't this what FDIC insurance is for?
No

Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
From the time my children were old enough to take something that didn't belong to them, we started the lessons about taking something that wasn't yours. Yes, a lot of times it was just sitting there to be taken and looked like it would not be a problem to make it yours. So, in this new age of "no personal responsibility" do you simply not teach your children that taking something or using something that is not theirs is wrong? I'm sorry, I consider the young adult and his mother to be trash. I do wonder if the adult had been in trouble before.

We have gotten checks and had money deposited in our account in error over our long life. We didn't need to ask what we should do and never considered keeping it.

If he doesn't have morals and integrity at 18, he never will.
He still has a chance but he needs to reject the values of the person who condoned what he did and decide to be better than that.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:22 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln ya View Post
If somebody put That Money in my account, Im Cashing out, And moving! Far!
30k wouldn't be enough

Old 03-16-2015, 05:03 PM

96 posts, read 85,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln ya View Post
If somebody put That Money in my account, Im Cashing out, And moving! Far!
$30k is nothing.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Read the terms of your bank accounts. You do not own them any more than you own your credit cards. You own the money YOU put into the account and money resulting from interest accrued for that money, not some error. Would all those people claiming the guy was unfairly punished be willing to let things rest if they made a mistake on a check in someone else's favor or if they accidentally deposited money into somone else's account? Nah, they scream bloody murder and demand "their" money back. And if the bank simply said the check was already cashed or the other person withdrew the money so tough luck, every one of them would run to the DA or a lawyer. Every one of them.
Read the terms of the US Government, you technically own no money, and it was never yours. It's all the governments to begin with. Why do you think if you have over 10k on you, you can have it seized and have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it's yours by way of receipt?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeeznutz View Post
Read the terms of the US Government, you technically own no money, and it was never yours. It's all the governments to begin with. Why do you think if you have over 10k on you, you can have it seized and have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it's yours by way of receipt?

What does 10k have to do with anything? Any amount could be seized

Old 03-16-2015, 07:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeeznutz View Post
wtf is "terms of the US Government"?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,690 times
Terms of the government would be laws of the government. Don't be ignorant, you know what I mean.

And yes technically you're correct, any amount can be seized. Anything over ten thousand WILL be seized. By way of multiple laws such as the money laundering control act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events